Question What to do, what to do?! New iMac? MacBook? Monitors?

Other than price and availability, any reasons to not go for the LG ultrawide?
This would have been my first choice! Sadly only available in a white finish at the back which would look very odd in mine but not an issue for yours.

Sorry didn't see the model in your post :)

For me it didn't tick as many boxes as the Samsung.

So +ve

USB C
Speakers

-ve

Only one DP port (I am using two)
60Hz - max refresh rate was a killer for me
Speakers are not that great
HDR mode is not as good
Thought I had read reviews to say the panel wasn't as good as others

Sorry didn't see the model in your post :)

For me it didn't tick as many boxes as the Samsung.

So +ve

USB C
Speakers

-ve

Only one DP port (I am using two)
60Hz - max refresh rate was a killer for me
Speakers are not that great
HDR mode is not as good
Thought I had read reviews to say the panel wasn't as good as others
I’d only need the one port, and don’t game so not sure 60hz would be an issue.
Will take a look at some reviews, it’s obviously quite a bit more to spend than the others for some built in speakers :D

I’d only need the one port, and don’t game so not sure 60hz would be an issue.
Will take a look at some reviews, it’s obviously quite a bit more to spend than the others for some built in speakers :D

Think it was a year older panel possibly.

Also, watch out for how much power can be sent over the USB C if you require that as the power source for the device. A lot are limited to 60W (or less) and my MBP required 85W (which incidentally my LG 4K monitor will supply)

Just been through the same pain as the op. I went for a Mac Mini m1 with 16gb and 1tb ssd. Yes, even at Apple’s rip off prices for upgrades it’s a neat solution and my new 28” Samsung 4K monitor will go well. I’ll restore data from my Time Machine backup and Bob’s your non binary Uncle
Except UPS have “lost” the parcel in Abingdon depot about 25 miles from where I live. So Apple have ordered another one.....

The only thing I’d check before going ultrawide is the resolution. If you’re coming from a 4K/5K iMac screen or display, you might be surprised at the relative drop in resolution depending which model you go for.

I deliberately avoided going for a widescreen monitor for that reason. More precaution really and the 28” Samsung is perfect for me

For speakers I’ll use my Bluetooth Anker single speaker but mainly I’ll use my headphones. Can’t be bothered with sub standard speakers in most monitors and the rest of the house appreciates the headphones as well

Last edited:
The only thing I’d check before going ultrawide is the resolution. If you’re coming from a 4K/5K iMac screen or display, you might be surprised at the relative drop in resolution depending which model you go for.

Yes, all the UW recommendations so far have been for 5120x1440 which ok isn't quite as sharp as a 4K monitor. I certainly would not go for the 3840x1080 as that is much more noticeable and you tell when you drop a game resolution to that.

I have an LG 4K Ultrafine "Mac" monitor next to it and yes its nice but I prefer the HDR our of the monitor and the added screen real estate. By default the Mac scales on the 4K so its like 1920x1080 in terms of normal real estate.

Yes, all the UW recommendations so far have been for 5120x1440 which ok isn't quite as sharp as a 4K monitor. I certainly would not go for the 3840x1080 as that is much more noticeable and you tell when you drop a game resolution to that.

I have an LG 4K Ultrafine "Mac" monitor next to it and yes its nice but I prefer the HDR our of the monitor and the added screen real estate. By default the Mac scales on the 4K so its like 1920x1080 in terms of normal real estate.
I've never understood some of the Mac scaled resolutions on their desktops or laptops in recent times.

As much as I love the extra screen space, I've put the ultra wide to one side for a few days to see how my eyes are with an iMac screen.

Woohoo!
CE8EFD1E-4846-4D8A-BE36-F2545F65C17B.jpeg

The ultra wide has gone unfortunately, I just couldn't get used to the resolution. I've kept the mount/arm though as it really is a great piece of kit and there's now an iMac Pro hanging off it which was the only intel-based Mac I've tried over the last 6 weeks or so which is utterly silent when pushing all the cores. The VMs I need to run are only available for Intel, otherwise I'd be waiting out for a new M-based iMac too.

The ultra wide has gone unfortunately, I just couldn't get used to the resolution. I've kept the mount/arm though as it really is a great piece of kit and there's now an iMac Pro hanging off it which was the only intel-based Mac I've tried over the last 6 weeks or so which is utterly silent when pushing all the cores. The VMs I need to run are only available for Intel, otherwise I'd be waiting out for a new M-based iMac too.
I’m still holding on waiting for a new M1 iMac to be announced, but have today also been looking at 4K 27/28” monitors as I’m not sure I could get used to the lower res of an ultrawide either.
If I don’t get an iMac, I’m leaning towards running two 4K monitors on a double arm mount from the Mac Mini.

Not sure if it’s a recommended model but the base M1 Mac Mini has dropped to £551 at Amazon. Seems a decent price, think it was £650ish last week?

Amazon product ASIN B08N5NT8VF
Excellent price, and well worth it for anyone looking for a new Mac. Really pleased with mine.

Shows as in stock and available for next day delivery for me
25018DA9-B320-41DD-B30E-385B16E94EA3.png

possibly my location confused it .... usually just says it can’t be delivered to Australia though if that is the case......

So I took the plunge. Need to get a keyboard, mouse and monitor next.

@Mr X did I see you got a new mouse a little while back? Is it the one on hukd, mx master 3?

To be honest I was going to go all Apple but after being put off by reviews of the Apple keyboard I came across the mx keys. Then the mouse pops up on a deal today so might take a look at it that as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom