Question What to do, what to do?! New iMac? MacBook? Monitors?

Amazon product ASIN B07NL27TCK
The Samsung 49 without the ridiculous curve of the new model is only ~£70 more but also has 120Hz refresh and HDR1000. The only thing it is lacking is USB C but I have a dock for my MBP supplying the right power output and DP.
I’m leaning toward the Samsung myself

I’m leaning toward the Samsung myself
Yeah mine only does 70hz and HDR400 compared to the Sammy.
If I’d had a dock I think it would have been fine. I did order a Caldigit 3 which was another £200+ but it arrived dead so was running out of time to return the screen.
Only advantage that the Philips has other than USB C is built in web cam. But both can be added to the Samsung. From memory the Samsung also has a nice LED backlight which should bounce nicely off your sloped wall.

Wow they have really put up the price though! And that’s a used price too!
Was much cheaper in December . I paid £887 new from Amazon. Make sure you go for the 1440 resolution whatever you do.

Last edited:
Yep I have the Caldigit 3 and it is good when it works :)

Also added a Logitech Brio 4K cam and it sits nicely in a ridge on the Samsung monitor.

Wow they have really put up the price though! And that’s a used price too!
Was much cheaper in November. Inn sure I paid £824 new from Amazon

For the Samsung one? Mine was £1,100 and that was discounted at the time.

There was a real bargain point which I think you might have bought at when I was tempted to buy another one. There was also a cheaper model the CHG90 but that was lower res.

For the Samsung one? Mine was £1,100 and that was discounted at the time.

There was a real bargain point which I think you might have bought at when I was tempted to buy another one. There was also a cheaper model the CHG90 but that was lower res.

Just checked it was £887 for the hi res
38F3B884-5DBD-4845-BFE9-FE4F3250B966.jpeg

Amazon product ASIN B07NL27TCK
The Samsung 49 without the ridiculous curve of the new model is only ~£70 more but also has 120Hz refresh and HDR1000. The only thing it is lacking is USB C but I have a dock for my MBP supplying the right power output and DP.
To a unknowledgeable person such as myself, is the difference between 120Hz and 70Hz a massive problem? Is that for playing games? Where would you notice that 50Hz deficit?

Also the HDR1000, this a big deal?
Thanks

To a unknowledgeable person such as myself, is the difference between 120Hz and 70Hz a massive problem? Is that for playing games? Where would you notice that 50Hz deficit?

Thanks

It's all relative I suppose, in this comparison, the Philips is only 60Hz. (70 is a bit of an odd number)

HDR 1000 allows the monitor to have a better dynamic range. It is roughly 50% brighter out of the box and 100% brighter in HDR. Obviously, though you can configure to what you want.

I searched a long time for a monitor I wanted and although there were a couple of things I would have liked like USB-C this ticked the majority of boxes.

I might be tempted to buy an LG 48" now but a 49" monitor I think I measured as the equivalent of a one half of a 55" cut in two horizontally

Thanks

My main requirement is office work and I think fast refresh and HDR is really just for gaming which is the other reason I wasn't too fussed.

It's all relative I suppose, in this comparison, the Philips is only 60Hz. (70 is a bit of an odd number)

HDR 1000 allows the monitor to have a better dynamic range. It is roughly 50% brighter out of the box and 100% brighter in HDR. Obviously, though you can configure to what you want.

I searched a long time for a monitor I wanted and although there were a couple of things I would have liked like USB-C this ticked the majority of boxes.

I might be tempted to buy an LG 48" now but a 49" monitor I think I measured as the equivalent of a one half of a 55" cut in two horizontally

Interesting but for day to day work, I have to turn the brightness way down, even for the PS5

HDR 1000 will give you a wow factor when watching movies too on Netflix. However, it is also a stupid aspect ratio for watching them on too :)

Oh should also mention that Night shift wouldn't work on the Sammy but does on the Philips if that makes a difference to you @Inked

@ChuckMountain this is what I get within panel settings? 70hz ?

That's good to know then as the reviews don't always get it right.

I guess the only thing is if whether there is any judder on movie content depending on whether it is 24Hz or 50/60 etc.

That's good to know then as the reviews don't always get it right.

I guess the only thing is if whether there is any judder on movie content depending on whether it is 24Hz or 50/60 etc.

Never really watched a movie on it, just You Tube vlogs so can't really comment on that one.

Never really watched a movie on it, just You Tube vlogs so can't really comment on that one.
Sorry you might’ve said but what do you need usb c for? Are you running a mac mini into this screen or a mbp? 👍

There is some random YT stuff in HDR. If you like bunnies running through the snow and stuff :D

My MBP does not support night mode either on it but then not ever used it. For some reason the HDR on the MBP is flickering, just wondering if I have knackered the cable or port as I have 2 DP and one HDMI cable plus the USB one connected and if you don't leave them long enough you can end up pulling them out when using the 3rd party mounts ....

Sorry you might’ve said but what do you need usb c for? Are you running a mac mini into this screen or a mbp? 👍

Running a MBPro13 M1 chip. So basically just one cable to the monitor and that's it.

It also has DisplayPort and HDMI's but the panel charges up to 90w (so I can use my mac charger elsewhere), acts as a hub (Ethernet, USB etc), and also a KVM switch (Multiple machines, but just one keyboard/mouse)

The lack of USB C on the Sammy meant I couldn't charge, no deal-breaker, but various dongles, or leads and it just wouldn't wake from sleep every time unless I turned off the monitor and back on again. It MAY well have been an M1/Big Sur issue rather than the Samsung but no such issue on the Philips. MAY well have been fixed by now (assuming it's not hardware compatibilty issue)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom