Question What to do, what to do?! New iMac? MacBook? Monitors?

Phil1975

Distinguished Member
Only get it on Apple accessories these days, no discount at all on main Apple products.

12% on other electrical, 25% on most other products and 20% off at Waitrose so I can’t complain.
Luckily for me I can use my Apple discount on most Apple products, which for me will be ideal later in the year when new MacBook Pro's get announced hopefully the new 14inch version.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Do these Apple Tags just work locally or via GPS?

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Finally got my monitor setup, thanks to all the advice in this thread.
06ADD70F-191C-46AF-A6BE-ABD155F7B8E2.jpeg

Using mini homepods as a stereo pair and they sound half decent considering their size.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Excellent set up

Jamie

Distinguished Member
That does look fabulous it has to be said.

It has however got me wondering how much of a pain window management and using the apps menu bar are with such a wide single desktop. If for example you had an email window to the right then the associated menu bar would be in the tip left corner.

Do you find you need a 3rd party app to help manage windows, I feel as a relatively recent returnee to MacOS that in some ways the window management is a bit basic compared to Windows 10 but the multiple desktops more than make up for that, scrolling with 4 fingers through my multiple desktops and full screen apps is one of my favourite features in MacOS. I can't imagine full screen apps work that well.

Oswald

That does look fabulous it has to be said.

It has however got me wondering how much of a pain window management and using the apps menu bar are with such a wide single desktop. If for example you had an email window to the right then the associated menu bar would be in the tip left corner.

Do you find you need a 3rd party app to help manage windows, I feel as a relatively recent returnee to MacOS that in some ways the window management is a bit basic compared to Windows 10 but the multiple desktops more than make up for that, scrolling with 4 fingers through my multiple desktops and full screen apps is one of my favourite features in MacOS. I can't imagine full screen apps work that well.
You can use iPad-style 'Split View' on the Mac, although it's very basic. The third party CrowdCafe Magnet window management app gets good reviews, though I haven't tried it myself. I don't think either fixes the menu bar issue you mentioned though. Definitely an area where Apple could do better.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I suspect my concerns would be more than offset with all that space, I'm just a bit jealous TBH 😀

After posting I did actually find quite a good video exploring the topic that's well worth a watch.

Interesting that LG supply their own window management app for Mac which looks like it helps.

Mr X

Distinguished Member
I suspect my concerns would be more than offset with all that space, I'm just a bit jealous TBH 😀

After posting I did actually find quite a good video exploring the topic that's well worth a watch.

Interesting that LG supply their own window management app for Mac which looks like it helps.
Moving to a 49 was one of THE best things I've ever done to increase my productivity. It will be pretty difficult to downsize now.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
What mounting arm are you using? I've got a samsung monitor like yours and it takes up most of the desk space.
It’s a Ergotron HX. Quite expensive but managed to get an Amazon open box when they were doing an extra 30% off. You also need a special attachment when using with the samasung monitor so it’s able to support the weight.

Mr X

Distinguished Member
What mounting arm are you using? I've got a samsung monitor like yours and it takes up most of the desk space.

It’s a Ergotron HX. Quite expensive but managed to get an Amazon open box when they were doing an extra 30% off. You also need a special attachment when using with the samasung monitor so it’s able to support the weight.

+1 for the Ergotron HX

Managed to fit mine to an existing hole in the desk and really frees up desk space on mine that was previously a bit cluttered.

LeftyXXIII

Distinguished Member
You can use iPad-style 'Split View' on the Mac, although it's very basic. The third party CrowdCafe Magnet window management app gets good reviews, though I haven't tried it myself. I don't think either fixes the menu bar issue you mentioned though. Definitely an area where Apple could do better.

I use Magnet and it's pretty good, although admittedly not on an ultrawide monitor.

Edit: added a screen with all the split options (on my 15" MBP)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 10.08.08.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 10.08.08.png
    208.8 KB · Views: 19

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom