Question What to do, what to do?! New iMac? MacBook? Monitors?

Mr X

Distinguished Member
So I took the plunge. Need to get a keyboard, mouse and monitor next.

@Mr X did I see you got a new mouse a little while back? Is it the one on hukd, mx master 3?

To be honest I was going to go all Apple but after being put off by reviews of the Apple keyboard I came across the mx keys. Then the mouse pops up on a deal today so might take a look at it that as well.
Yep it was the MX Master 3 but… I ended up returning it. Nothing wrong with it at all BUT I’m just a Magic Trackpad kinda guy and missed using it.

I just use the Apple Magic Keyboard and like that a lot.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Yep it was the MX Master 3 but… I ended up returning it. Nothing wrong with it at all BUT I’m just a Magic Trackpad kinda guy and missed using it.

I just use the Apple Magic Keyboard and like that a lot.
Thanks.
Do you use the one with the number pad on the end? Or the smaller version. Quite like the look of the space grey iMac Pro one

Mr X

Distinguished Member
Thanks.
Do you use the one with the number pad on the end? Or the smaller version. Quite like the look of the space grey iMac Pro one

Yep! In fact nicked straight from my iMac Pro which I gave to the Mrs when I got the Ultrawide

Using it here with a Walnut surround. Have a Magic Mouse but hardly use it as love the trackpad too much.
3EFE8F59-F173-484A-A488-E640AF096163.jpeg

noel83

Novice Member
Hope it's ok to jump in with a query along the same lines as this awesome post?!

I've got a MacBook Air M1, I'm staying in a furnished studio that has a hideous Samsung Hospitality TV on the wall (fine as a tv but absolutely tosh for a monitor with blurry text that's hurting my eyes when 2ft in front using as a monitor).

So nice and simple I thought I'd just get a 4k Samsung TV and all will be well....it's not!

Samsung UE43TU7100 from ao.com.

Connected via USB-C to HDMI, 4k resolution but 30Hz and the menu bars and there areas like the coloured dots to maximise, close windows etc are speckled in the style of Windows 3.1 many moons ago!!

Samsung support don't care.
Apple Support also don't seem to care.

Lots of posts online around difficulties with getting 4k 60Hz chroma 4:4:4 out of the MacBook Air M1.

Ideally I'd like something 32" or above, that will double as a screen for my Amazon fire stick, speakers included ideally, that gives me crystal clear display

Previously had a Viewsonic 2K 32" monitor which was great but sound no good.

Should I just go back to using that and ditch the idea of getting a reasonably priced (sub £500) 4k tv/display or is there a solution you can recommend?!

Thanks all and if this should go in a different post then no worries just thought it was pretty close to topic :)

Inked

Distinguished Member
I’m seriously considering 2 of these on a double arm for the Mac mini and forgoing the potential new iMac.
4K with 31.5” screen

Any reason not to?(Don't know why the link is showing incorrectly - it links correctly to the 32un500 which doesn’t have USB C)
EDIT: just seen it’s a VA Panel rather than IPS.

Alternatively the 27 with USB C

Last edited:

Jamie

Distinguished Member
So nice and simple I thought I'd just get a 4k Samsung TV and all will be well....it's not!

What specifically are you using to connect the Mac and TV. Not all dongles are equal, quite a few of the cheaper ones only do 4k30 at best.

Inked

Distinguished Member
Or do I save some cash, skip the speakers (buy HomePod mini's instead), USB C, lose a bit of brightness and colour gamut and opt for the cheaper LG 27UL500?

And has anyone used novatech.co.uk?

Or is there something better for the money than the LGs? (£250 to £400 per monitor)

Last edited:

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
See what @Mr X meant when he said about disappearing down a rabbit hole looking at desk stuff now!

Have you considered the Samsung G9 Odyssey @Inked? Just had a price drop to £1049 at Amazon. Probably a bit overkill for most but does look a sweet monitor

Amazon product

Inked

Distinguished Member
See what @Mr X meant when he said about disappearing down a rabbit hole looking at desk stuff now!

Have you considered the Samsung G9 Odyssey @Inked? Just had a price drop to £1049 at Amazon. Probably a bit overkill for most but does look a sweet monitor

Amazon product

Yeah, looked at it early on, but the more extreme curve put me off.
Decided to go with two separate 27” 4K monitors as I really don’t want such a drastic drop in resolution. Went for the LG 27UL850, they should be here at some point tomorrow.

ascender

I've ended up with a 32" 4K screen from LG. The 32UN88A, currently connected to a 16" MBP while I wait for my M1 Mac Mini to arrive.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
As you're a Rossi fan I forgive you 😀

Jamie

Distinguished Member
That's awesome, I jokingly suggested we have Rocket as a middle name in honour of an 80s GP rider who shares my surname. Presumably his middle name is Valentino or is it Rossi

Inked

Distinguished Member
That's awesome, I jokingly suggested we have Rocket as a middle name in honour of an 80s GP rider who shares my surname. Presumably his middle name is Valentino or is it Rossi

Love it! I see he’s closed down his race school now, such a shame.

It is indeed Valentino, I’m Italian on my father’s side, so all names have to fit in with our surname!

Flashy

Very glad I didn’t wait for the new iMacs
It might be just me but I think they look hideous. And they’re overpriced compared to a Mac mini and external display.

Conscious my 2012 mini isn’t getting any younger. At least this reaffirms my plan to replace it with another mini when the time does come.

Inked

Distinguished Member
It might be just me but I think they look hideous. And they’re overpriced compared to a Mac mini and external display.

Conscious my 2012 mini isn’t getting any younger. At least this reaffirms my plan to replace it with another mini when the time does come.
Yep, they’ve tried to bid the fact that they still have large bezels by making them white rather than black. They should have released at least one with a dark bezel and silver or grey aluminium.

Mr X

Distinguished Member
Yep, they’ve tried to bid the fact that they still have large bezels by making them white rather than black. They should have released at least one with a dark bezel and silver or grey aluminium.

Totally agree. Disappointed with the chin but could live with that but there’s not a single colour that would not look out of place in my current office set up. Give me black/ white, silver or grey at least one!

Though I’m sure they will release a Hermes black cover for it costing £3k!

Have you seen the price of the Hermes key rings for air tag!!!

Last edited:

Flashy

Totally agree. Disappointed with the chin but could live with that but there’s not a single colour that would not look out of place in my current office set up. Give me black/ white, silver or grey at least one!

Though I’m sure they will release a Hermes Bkafk cover for it costing £3k!

That pricing’s stonishing, isn’t it? Just beggars belief. I’m probably in for some AirTags, though – and just noticed the iPhone autocorrects the capital letters already. Useful for keys, for sure.

Inked

Distinguished Member

Though I’m sure they will release a Hermes black cover for it costing £3k!

Ridiculous isn’t it. I’ll wait for JL to hopefully get the air tags and accessories so that I at least save 12%. The Hermes stuff is just crazy.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 5th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 4th May 2021