1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do next...???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Johnny Thunder, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hello everyone.
    I now have the following system.
    Denon AVR 3805.
    Pioneer DV656A-K (component and digi coax to 3805)
    Sky+ (rgb to yuv and digi opt to 3805)
    3805 to PDP50MXE-1 component.
    Speakers are Acoustic Energy AELITE 5.1 package.

I was planning on maybe getting a good CD player next, but,
    having tried my music on the DVD player, I am well impressed
    with the sound quality. (music was not a major factor in my choice of equipment)
    I am now undecided on what to concentrate on next, so I am hoping
    that the expertise on these forums will point me in the right direction.
    Do I work on:
    Music quality ie. another amp and CD player.
    Picture quality ie. a scaler maybe.
    Upgrade the DVD player.
    Hope you can all help and really looking forward to this discussion.
    Sorry Mods if this is in the wrong forum, but with it being a wide ranging
    subject, I was not sure where to post.
    Thanks.
    Johnny.

Edit: What I meant to say was, Music was not a major factor in the original
    decision on equipment, but I will consider Music now.

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    It all depends on gow much money you have to burn. You would probably get the most of room treatments, as 40%+ of what you hear is because of the room and reflections ect..

3. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I am currently in the process of rebuilding my Home cinema room, so
    my thoughts are with the equipment side of the equation.
    I will look at approximately £2000 in whichever department you guys
    convince me to go for........ :thumbsup:

4. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Which rgb to yuv are you using and is it any good? I need to get one and have noticed the electropacks is cheaper that the Keene.

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    You've got all good kit, so it depends on what you want. For cinema, you still can't beat a projector (even with a huge plasma). For stero audio then it would be fairly cheap in the grander scheme of things. Or you could go for a power amp to complement the denon, but i think you have reached pretty mcuh the pinicle of standard integrated.
    You could move up to a Z9/ new denon or similar but would the difference be noticable over a power amp and your denon?

Its gonna be expensive to go anywhere up from what you have as your at a bt of a platau, as in the next level is a big jump in £££'s.

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    How about a HTPC, that would take things in a complete different direction and would be fun to build. With all your media in one place (and can be streamed from other PC's). The real difficulty is finding something that integrates well with your current system, is noiseless while also being powerful and providing all the functionality you want.

7. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I am using the JS Tech converter.

Gaz, at the moment, I do not want to involve a PC in my system, likewise for the projector.
    My aim, within 18-24 months, is to move to one of the amps in the flagship category. Hopefully this will help in the discussion.

Cheers for the replies.

Johnny.

8. Astaroth

Astaroth
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    It appears that you are happy with all aspects of your system and therefore there is no need to spend any further money on it (controversial opinion I'm sure) at this point.

There is no such thing as the 'perfect system' no matter how much money you have to spend as there is always something else that you COULD get, could update to or could try instead of but once you hit what you want you should stick with it until you decide that the picture quality could be a bit better for your liking and thens the time to upgrade again.

9. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I agree, unless there is something you feel you need to upgrade, something just niggling away at you then i would suggest up grading that.
    If you want to go the stero Hi-Fi route i have been looking at the nad 372, which althogh it's £500 is ment to be very impressive, competing with amps many times that value, and has impressive power reserves (running at a minimun of 120 watts per channel both driven).

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The system looks solid enough anyway, the DVD Player may be a possible upgrade, but I think, if you have about £2000 burning a hole in your pocket, you should give it to me :):):) j/k. Seriously, I think a nice big subwoofer :D :devil: a B&W ASW850 would be lovely, or a giant SVS PB12 Ultra/2, if you go for the PB12 Ultra/2 in a wood finish, you will STILL probably have enough for that CD player :D

11. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Before buying my equipment, I listened to a few different combinations, and decided on the Denon and AELITES.
    I was expecting poor music performance, but was planning on maybe adding a second amp and CD player. I am comparing music performance to my Kenwood midi system, which at the time, was a very good model. My new setup simply blows it away. So that is a big surprise.

Picture wise, I was prepared for poor performance with my plasma/sky+ combination. It is not as bad as I was expecting it to be, and my settings are not correct yet due to running in, so hopefully that will improve a little bit more too. But, I was also thinking about working on that too, maybe with a scaler, or some other method that you guys may recommend.

So, after many trials/reviews/recommendations etc. I decided on my current system, which I must add, I am absolutely over the moon with.
    The point I am trying to get across, is, a few years ago, I put together a HC system. What I did not do, was constantly upgrade, hence the large outlay of hard earned money this time.
    I do not want to make the same mistake again, so, in the next few months, I will be adding to, or modifying my current setup.
    The areas I was planning to address, are, picture quality and music performance.
    So, within 18-24 months, I am hoping to be in a position where the 3805 is the weak link in my system, and hence, looking to step up to Flagship territory.
    This is where I am completely lost.
    I can go out and spend money on a DVD player, or amp/CD player, but what I buy may go well with my current system, but may suck with the future system.
    I understand that with respect to the plasma side of things, future proofing is not guaranteed, but from what I can understand, I could add a scaler that will improve performance now, and still be perfectly ok with HD in the future even if I do need to change the display.
    I just need all your expertise in picking the right areas to work on at the right time.
    Hope this makes it a bit more clear.
    Thank you all for your replies and patience.......
    Johnny.

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    You could go the power amps or monoblocks route, and then in the future replace your denon with a processor. This may be one of the better options for an upgrade path your looking towards.

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Monoblocks do make sense, although I still think the subwoofer would make a big difference too :D You could sell your Aelite sub on to fund the purchase of a CD Player too :D

Monoblocks would probably make the largest difference musically though as gaz says.

14. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I have just purchased the Speaker package, Denon, and Plasma, so they are a little further down the line...........gimme chance to run them in guys.. :)

15. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How about a projector?

16. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Projector is not an option at the moment...........cos she said so...... :(

17. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you give me feedback on your Aelite package and Denon receiver. Were they hard to setup? How do you connect your receiver to your TV? I am new to this middle range kit and it is going to be a massive step up from me coming from a surround sound system that only cost £250 Sony three years ago. Also my DVD player doesn't play CD's so I am gonna get a Denon 3910 to do both. Really looking forward to the demo of this kit on Saturday, can you give me your experiances with the 5.1 speaker setup and is the Denon easy to get right?

Napier

18. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK no projector.

If you are intent on spending your money :) how about a Denon 3910. Gets great reviews, Good with CD's as well as all the muti channel formats and good for playing with the picture etc... for great quality DVD replay?

Some reviews say it's as good as some 3-400 quid CD Players.

Or maybe a DAC, the Pioneer is a great transport so put a dac on it for increased performance and could also get a MP3 jukebox like a iRiver and plug that into the DAC as well.

And can have one for most price ranges depending on what you want to spend. Something like the new Musical Fidelity V3 XDAC for £400 then can add an external power supply for a £300? i think... Or a second hand MF 3.24 DAC that is as good as the XDac and power supply with a larger range of inputs second hand for around £400 - £500 or for £1100 a Cyrus DacX (everyone seems to like the word X at the moment).

Steff

PS: All these things with "X" in the title remind me of the 100th episode of Stargate... where they say along the lines of well if you put an X in it's name it will sell. That was to do with TV Shows but i think it applies to a lot of things :)

19. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I am the same as you Napier. I have just moved up from a budget system.
    I have had no problems with any setup so far. I am amazed at the performance. I was undecided on the speakers, couldnt decide between the AELITE and the AEGIS EVO 3B. I went for my package purely because of the performance of the centre speakers.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks for all your thoughts guys. Everytime someone mentions another idea, I am reading up on these forums, so keep the suggestions coming.
    Thanks.

Johnny.

20. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Thanks for all your advice ..........
    I am now going to split this thread and take it to the various, and more appropriate forums.
    Thank you very much.

Johnny.