• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What to do, HD upscaler or wait for PS3

boomish

Standard Member
Weel I'm more confused than ever, after reading through the forums and online reviews.
Once I heard aout upscalers recently I thought that would be a good stop-gap untill I get a PS3 for Blue-ray playback. I'd like to get the best DVD upscaler I can but only if it's worth it, after reading a bit I couldn't really figure if a cheap Samsung for £50 was going to be any better than a Panasonic or Oppo to go with my Panny thx50.
Then I read that the TV does a pretty good job of upscalling already and it's only a fractional improvment doing it in the digital domain.

Anyone had an upscaler then bought a PS3? or even a normal good quality DVD player and replaced with an upscaler that can honestly say it's really worth it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

gblades

I replaced my DVD player when I bought the TV mainly because I wanted a HDMI connection rather than use RGB SCART which is going to be lower quality.

Normally I cant tell the difference between the TV and the DVD player upscaling the image. Where I can definetly tell the difference is with poor quality DVD sources such as the latest Harry Potter DVD where they are all sat around the dining table near the start of the film. The artifacts look bad but when I use the TV to upscale they are even worse.

If your existing DVD player is not HDMI then it is probably worth getting a newer one. The PS3 is not a region free player. A good budget one is probably fine.
I paid a bit more for my Denon because I wanted to play DIVX off a DVD and in my past experience many cheap players give a stuttering playback and dont support long filenames. I also dont intend to get a blue-ray player until at least next year.

boomish

Standard Member
Thanks fro the reply gblades, very good point all my conections are scart apart from my Wii and Xbox 360 going in component and PC connection. I hadn't thought about the difference of the TV upscaling between scart and HDMI.
I have a Cambridge audio DVD57 at the mo and that is pretty good pic but not HDMI and I also forgot about the PS3 not being multi region so looks like a good upscaler will be worth it, even if to free up a connection.
Now which one, I was thinking the panasonic so I could use the Viera link but if anyones gota sure fire winner the please let me know..

as ever thanks for any feedback, this forum is def the best place for help, dunno what I'd do without it..

mossym

Distinguished Member
Then I read that the TV does a pretty good job of upscalling already and it's only a fractional improvment doing it in the digital domain.

??? your tv scales in the digital domain too...

boomish

Standard Member
??? your tv scales in the digital domain too...

well not really, as it's converted to analouge via the scart then back into digital within the TV, I presume people like it becasue it's upscaled within the DVD player itself then transfered digtally to the Telly via HDMI, so no signal loss at all.

This is my asumption on how it works, I'm no exert :) it must be really as scart isn't digital.

mossym

Distinguished Member
well not really, as it's converted to analouge via the scart then back into digital within the TV, I presume people like it becasue it's upscaled within the DVD player itself then transfered digtally to the Telly via HDMI, so no signal loss at all.

This is my asumption on how it works, I'm no exert :) it must be really as scart isn't digital.

oh right, you meant the signal is analog in the first place. get what you mean now, i thought you meant the scaling was actually done in the analog domain.

stevetlizard

Standard Member
Thanks fro the reply gblades, very good point all my conections are scart apart from my Wii and Xbox 360 going in component and PC connection. I hadn't thought about the difference of the TV upscaling between scart and HDMI.
I have a Cambridge audio DVD57 at the mo and that is pretty good pic but not HDMI and I also forgot about the PS3 not being multi region so looks like a good upscaler will be worth it, even if to free up a connection.
Now which one, I was thinking the panasonic so I could use the Viera link but if anyones gota sure fire winner the please let me know..

as ever thanks for any feedback, this forum is def the best place for help, dunno what I'd do without it..

Hi, I was in exactly the same position. I got my Panasonic 42" plasma and was putting up with my Sony dvd player via scart. After reading great reviews I decided to plump for the Cambridge Audio DVD86. It's got to be said the difference was like night and day in terms of picture quality.

This was a couple of months before the ps3 was launched. initialy I was running the two side by side as the ps3's upscaling wasn't the best at the start of it's life. Firmware updates have sorted this out and I'd say that it's as good as the CA dvd86. The only issue being that the dvd86 is region free.

I've not used the dvd86 much since the ps3 turned up, so if you fancy a cheap, great quality upscaler, drop me a pm and we'll see if we can come to some arrangement. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom