What to consider vs Velo SPL 1200 Series II?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Triggaaar, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,183
    Unfortunately, the size, shape & style of the SVS cylinders are not considered appropriate for our living room ;)

Base wise, I'd like the same as everyone else - lots of it, with low distortion. But I need to keep the size of the box down for room aesthetics, so something like the Servo 15 is probably out.

I've been doing some searches, and without a larger sub, or the style of the svs, I'm not sure what else to look at (not sure of the size of the ASW750).

Are the Velo SPLs well regarded?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Velodyne make some very good subwoofers but whilst they are fairly cheap and highly discounted in USA they are very expensive over here. As an example of what I mean the SPL-1200 is selling here for $945 which is a 68% discount on the rrp and equates to about £500

I haven't heard the 1200 mark 2 but John E Johnson has and he wrote about it here. His summary was that "In their size category, they are some of the very best subwoofers out there" The cheaper B&W ASW675 would give the smaller SPL models a run for their money but the market isn't exactly overflowing with high performance models of that size and the new Paradigm subs don't seem to be available over here yet.

For something larger but not as ugly as the servo 15 (sorry lads :rolleyes: ) show the wife the rather smart looking B&W ASW750 which is available at SPL money but according to rags who has one, will outgun almost anything.

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,183
    Thanks Ian.

Isn't the 'expensive over here' scenario the same for pretty much everything we buy? I realise it may not be as true for the SVS range due to buying direct, but for everything else?

I hear the SPL 1000 II this week, but it was hastily set-up, and I'm more interested in the 1200.

B&W site isn't working properly this second - will have the ASW750 dimensions shortly.

Is there any sub that can perform as well as the SPL 1200 II, while being no larger?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    How about the Rocket UFW-10 whih is available direct from the manufacturer just like SVS but is very small and a rather nice piece of furniture too and it even incorporates a parametric equalizer.

Secrets of Home Theater reviewed it here and claimed :-

This sub was also the subject of quite a long thread here with contributions from the manufacturers. At $599 plus shipping and Vat it will probably be delivered to your door at about £480 so looks to be a veritable bargain at that price

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,183
    Oh yes, I saw the beginning of the thread. Interesting to see their approach is 2 10" Subs vs the 12". And if going for the rocket, I think I'd like 2.
    So...
    B&W ASW750 17.2"H, 15.6"W, 18.9"D - 12" Driver - 1000W
    Velo SPL 1200 II 14.75"H, 14.25"W, 16.375"D - 12" Driver - 1000W
    2* Rocket UFW-10 13.5"H, 13.25"W, 13"D - 10" Driver - 500W

The B&W is a little bigger than I'd like. 2 of the rockets could be fun - I look forward to seeing what Steve sorts out with the rockets.

Thanks for the details