1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to choose??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by pisfin, Feb 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. pisfin

pisfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy a 32" LCD tv, and I don't know which one of these that is the best TV:

32PF9976 and Sony KLV-L32M1.

I know that the 32PF9986 probably is the best tv, but it is a little bit too expensive for me. So can anyone help in choosing the best tv (the price is the same for the two TVs here in Denmark)

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With Hi Def just around the corner, I would say the 9976 as this has a DVI port as well.

Another suggestion is a Sharp 32GA LCD if you have any in Denmark.

Richie.

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I would say the Philips has the edge in terms of future proofing but as far as PQ is concerned I've not seen anything to better the Sony and that includes the big daddy 9986.

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know some very reasonable and fair people genuinely love the Philips, but I think its a bit of a myth and/or exaggeration that its picture is easily the best

I for one prefer both the Sony (especially) and Panasonic models...so definitely go check and see for yourself.

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There's more to it than just PQ, SuperPixel. As you will have gathered by reading these forums, the main reason that the Sony and the Panny are largely ignored is down to the fact that they will not be able to recieve Sky's HDTV broadcast starting next year.

Sure they both have decent PQ but there are too many disadvantages with both of them to make them realistic contenders in this marketplace.

So, Pisfin you need to ask yourself a very simple question. Do you want the TV you buy now to be able to recieve HiDef Sky broadcasts starting next year, or does this not concern you?

The Philips is a genuinely great TV with full HDCP connections, enabling Sky's HDTV broadcasts to be watched.
    The Sony won't.

Prices are very similar.......decisions decisions....

Jimmy

6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep, you're quite right jimsan!

tho i never said otherwise, and pisfin asked specifically about the Sony so I wasn't recommending something unacceptable to him/her

i guess i just presumed opinion was wanted on the quality of the picture, as the info on connections isn't exactly a guarded secret...

i also seriously doubt the Panasonics and Sony "aren't contenders" !

but back to being helpful - the Philips is also an excellent picture, and if you really are bothered about hi-def and digital inputs, then it is the best choice

its funny - i get shot down on the plasma forum for recommending Philips over Panasonic, and shot down on the LCD for the opposite reason. oh well !

7. pisfin

pisfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm living in Denmark, so I don't know when we get HD-TV here. So if I can't see HD-tv, should I go with the Sony? I have read somewhere, that the Sony has a bit of problems with fastmoving objects fx. when showing sports? Does anybody know about this? My favourite was the Philips, but now I don't know, because I have hard time comparing the two TVs because I can't see them beside each other. Which one will be the best with a standard tv-signal and a Kiss DVD-player (1500).