What to choose for TV LG G1 between sound bar LG SP11RA or Samsung HW-950A

Diabolik007

Novice Member
Hello, :)

I'm in a dilemma, I currently have an LG 77G1 Evo TV and I'm hesitating between 2 sound bars:

- LG SP11RA
- Samsung HW-950A

I consulted a lot of tests and reviews, the 2 bars are excellent but the sound of the samsung bar seems to be above the LG in the tests I read. On the other hand, I would miss 2 features since I don't have a Samsung screen:

• the Q-Symphony feature
  • the Spacefit Sound+ calibration which is obviously only possible if samsung screen with.

I wanted to know if there were LG TV owners with one of these 2 models of sound bars and their opinions? I also have these questions pending and I struggle to find answers:
  • is it possible to calibrate the HW-Q950A with a TV other than the samsung? and if so how? I thought I read that it was possible with the subwoofer but it's not clear.
  • Is there any desynchronization or incompatibility?

Given the price I really regret my choice by leaving on a samsung knowing that it is generally recommended to leave on the same brand TV / Soundbar.

Thanks for reading and for your future advices :hiya:

RichTimms

Standard Member
Hi There, Have you decided on your sound bar? I have the Samsung HW-Q950A with my G1 65". For me the Samsung is a superb soundbar, you cannot calibrate it as you can with an AV receiver set up or via an app as you can with some other bars, however you can adjust the volume, tone and balance of each of the speakers and there is an EQ available via the Samsung smart things app but you can only use this in the standard sound mode (you can adjust the overall base and treble levels in any sound mode though).

So here's the key thing, I purchased the Sound Bar in April 2021, the G1 in June 2021, at first I had a lot of problems with EARC connection dropping the sound and defaulting to the TV's speakers...to cut a long story short this was due to the the then G1's firmware update that was made available in August 2021. I had an LG engineer confirm that the issue was firmware related. A new firmware was available a few weeks for the G1 entitled 03.20.16, since then my connection has been rock solid and ive not had any other issues at all.
The sound bar also had a new firmware update in September 2021 and that is1021.080, this update has improved the sound, from what was already a quality sound, to a simply outstanding audio balance , tonally the balance of sound from the rears and the up firing Atmos drivers is even better and now and as an overall experience the sound is so immersive.

Its never going to compete with a really decent AV and speaker set up but for the price it is fantastic. My only minor gripe is that I wish it had an LED menu on the front of the bar rather than on the top as you cant see this when seated (but the smart things app has all the same features except for the independent adjustment for each speaker).

If price isn't a deciding factor for you then Sony has just realised what most critics are saying is a game changer for sound bars, its called the SONY HT-A9, the quality of the dynamic object sound is supposed to be better than any current sound bar on the market, you can place them anywhere in a room and they do have a calibration function, but the subwoofer isnt included, Richer Sounds are currently selling both as a bundle for £2,148.00, Sony HT-A9 & SA-SW5
I would be sorely tempted to try the Sony but for less than half the price you can pick up the Samsung and as I said it is a superb system. I do not have any disconnection issues with both the rears and the woofer and since the firmware updates Im really really impressed with both the TV and the bar. Hope this helps you.

RichTimms

Standard Member
Hi There, Have you decided on your sound bar? I have the Samsung HW-Q950A with my G1 65". For me the Samsung is a superb soundbar, you cannot calibrate it as you can with an AV receiver set up or via an app as you can with some other bars, however you can adjust the volume, tone and balance of each of the speakers and there is an EQ available via the Samsung smart things app but you can only use this in the standard sound mode (you can adjust the overall base and treble levels in any sound mode though).

So here's the key thing, I purchased the Sound Bar in April 2021, the G1 in June 2021, at first I had a lot of problems with EARC connection dropping the sound and defaulting to the TV's speakers...to cut a long story short this was due to the the then G1's firmware update that was made available in August 2021. I had an LG engineer confirm that the issue was firmware related. A new firmware was available a few weeks for the G1 entitled 03.20.16, since then my connection has been rock solid and ive not had any other issues at all.
The sound bar also had a new firmware update in September 2021 and that is1021.080, this update has improved the sound, from what was already a quality sound, to a simply outstanding audio balance , tonally the balance of sound from the rears and the up firing Atmos drivers is even better and now and as an overall experience the sound is so immersive.

Its never going to compete with a really decent AV and speaker set up but for the price it is fantastic. My only minor gripe is that I wish it had an LED menu on the front of the bar rather than on the top as you cant see this when seated (but the smart things app has all the same features except for the independent adjustment for each speaker).

If price isn't a deciding factor for you then Sony has just realised what most critics are saying is a game changer for sound bars, its called the SONY HT-A9, the quality of the dynamic object sound is supposed to be better than any current sound bar on the market, you can place them anywhere in a room and they do have a calibration function, but the subwoofer isnt included, Richer Sounds are currently selling both as a bundle for £2,148.00, Sony HT-A9 & SA-SW5
I would be sorely tempted to try the Sony but for less than half the price you can pick up the Samsung and as I said it is a superb system. I do not have any disconnection issues with both the rears and the woofer and since the firmware updates Im really really impressed with both the TV and the bar. Hope this helps you.
Update- Apologies I have the 2020 HWQ950T and not the HWQ950A. The A does have an automatic calibration function for this year and is supposed to have improved wireless connection features but aside from that its identical to the 2020 bar that I have. All of the other info that I described to you in my previous post stands though.

TSage

Novice Member
Hello, :)

I'm in a dilemma, I currently have an LG 77G1 Evo TV and I'm hesitating between 2 sound bars:

- LG SP11RA
- Samsung HW-950A

I consulted a lot of tests and reviews, the 2 bars are excellent but the sound of the samsung bar seems to be above the LG in the tests I read. On the other hand, I would miss 2 features since I don't have a Samsung screen:

• the Q-Symphony feature
  • the Spacefit Sound+ calibration which is obviously only possible if samsung screen with.

I wanted to know if there were LG TV owners with one of these 2 models of sound bars and their opinions? I also have these questions pending and I struggle to find answers:
  • is it possible to calibrate the HW-Q950A with a TV other than the samsung? and if so how? I thought I read that it was possible with the subwoofer but it's not clear.
  • Is there any desynchronization or incompatibility?

Given the price I really regret my choice by leaving on a samsung knowing that it is generally recommended to leave on the same brand TV / Soundbar.

Thanks for reading and for your future advices :hiya:
I have an LG OLED65CXPUA with LG SN11RG Soundbar. The system is great but a flaw has developed in the Soundbar constantly dropping the subwoofer. I would wait for the new LG S95QR to go SONOS.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom