1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to change ?? (if anything)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Mike-M, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I recently got a DAB radio (Pure drx-701es) and I must say I am very impressed with the sound quality. The problem is that my CD audio is poor in comparison. The radio has very good separation and clarity which is superior to my cd's. I don't think that the radio should sound better than the cd ? As I am happy with the sound from the radio I am assuming my amp (Yamaha dsp-ax750se) and speakers (Tannoy fusion 4's) are not the problem.
    My CD is the Marantz CO6000 ose which is running through a Dac Magic 2 Connections are coax from the cd to the dac and anologue from the dac to the amp.
    The sound is by no means dreadful but I would like to get it up to the quality of the radio, if that's possible?
    Any advice re what to upgrade or anything else to try would be most welcome.

2. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    can anyone tell me if different dac's give different results. Having listened to some more music tonight I've identified that the problem for me is when the music gets "busy" The highs become very harsh and this is highlighted even more because the low's and mid's stay very tight and controlled.

3. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Have you tried the CD without going through the Dac to see if you prefer that?

I would have thought that the CD would sound better than the radio, most DAB is broadcast at low bitrates compared to CD.

Andrew

4. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange, the DacMagic 2 should produce a nice sound. Are you sure you haven't got any DSP effects (like PL2 or TruSurround or something) engaged on the 750 CD channel? They can monkey around with a good stereo signal and make it sound poor IMO.

Surprised to hear that you think DAB sounds better than your CD/DAC combo (even though the 701 is one of the best DAB tuners available).

KK

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Mike,
    All Dac's like everything else are not the same. They all have different sonic signatures. Some work well, some not so well.
    I haven't heard either of the components you're using so no idea what to suggest. But I know the pure DRX 701. It's good but it's not up to half decent CD standard. Which suggests you may have a fault somewhere or something turned on that shouldn't be as Kish Kash suggests?
    I've heard a several £1200 CD players which are noticably better.

6. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for your imput. I have tried with an optical lead to the dac and this seems to have improved things. I have also ordered another coax from Mark (with BNC at one end) to see how this goes. I feel I won't get a large improvement by upgrading the CDP without spending a considerable amount more. But I could keep my eye's open for another S/H DAC which would be worth a go. Anyone any views on the Arcam Black Box 5 ?

7. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting on a bit now. What's your budget? There are thousands of posts about DACs on the forum, just do a search. It'll save us repeating ourselves because for some of us, its all we ever talk about ;)

8. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Have you tried putting your DAB tuner through the Dac (if its possible) to see if it changes the sound to make it more like the CD-Player sound?

This will then tell you if its the DAC or CD which you don't like the sound of!

Andrew

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I think you have discovered one of the problems that are associated with buying HiFi. Its called system matching. Improving your CD player will probably mean your system will be swamped with detail, due to greater and greater resolution. The relatively laid back sound of the DAB is gelling with your system, so you either find a very smooth sounding CD player or its upgrade time with the rest of your components, which I would suspect is impractical.

Have a look on the HiFi World website for s/hand CDps that are smooth and are regarded as unexciting and lacking in detail (this would normally be a negative trait, but should help with your system integration).

There is one other problem, a lot of Cds themselves are recorded bright and toppy, which can produce awful results. A lot of nu metal ,for example is like that. Experiment by trying something like A perfect Circles - 13th Step which is a more laid back recording.