1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to buy ????

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jeggsy, Aug 21, 2003.

1. jeggsy

jeggsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys and gals... This is my first post here so be gentle with me :laugh: :laugh:

I 'm in the market for a new TV and have got it down to 3 sets:-

Sony KD32/36NX200
    Toshiba 32/36ZP38B
    Panasonic TX32/36PD30

I want the Tosh, the misses wants the Sony and both of us will consider the Panny. I want 36" and she wants 32". :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

The reviews of the Tosh always seem to be good but after reading some of the issues about it on this forum, about people sending sets back more than several times and other image/quality problems it is starting to make me wonder.

I have not seen any reviews of the Sony yet. My current set is a Sony KV25 and up to now it has given me 4 years good service.
    The Sony is pricier than the others and has not quite got the spec of the other 2 sets.

The Panny seems good middle ground on most things. Seems to have tidy reviews and can be had for a fairly good price.

I work in I.T so I know about CRT screens etc and these designs will always have some image flaws. I suppose it is just a case of picking the set that has the least flaws.

So come on people help me decide :smoke:

2. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi M8,

Welcome to the mad world of buying a new TV. If you check out the thread "£1600 to spend, Which 32" TV" below you will see various comments on the PF2 and the Panny. In the last couple of weeks I've looked at most TV's in stores and read quite a few reviews and I'm still confused. Its one of those things you buy in life that you spend so much time researching but you only know if your made the right decision once you get it home and it makes you smile. Personally I've always had a Tosh but I think its time for a change. It's a bit like a car, You think you have the best model going until you drive something else. I looked at the PF2 but didn't like the black ring around the screen and the one I looked at in the shop had terrible geometry problems and a light green smear down one side. The panny on the other hand looks nice and performs really well also, but this set has its own set of issues. At the end of the day its a personnel thing but I can tell you this. Of all the sets I looked at my head is saying buy the panny.

I hope this helps

Bazza

3. mike25

mike25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for it Bazza u wont regret it.
    Personally jegssi I think u misses is right u'll save about 500 quid if u go for 32" and i don't think it alot bigger. Unless u have a big lounge. Mine is 11ft by 18ft and the 32" is just right. If u have a bigger lounge go for 36". But u really need a decent sound kit to hook to this beauty. Thats where that 500 quid will come in use. u can pick pd30 for just under 1000 at empiredirect but the 36" costs about 1500 everywhere.

So then again bigger is better but not for ur wallet. the misses is wiser...mine persuaded me and i thank her all the time.

4. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike 25;Talking of sizes my lounge is 19 foot by 13ft and I was thinking of 32".
    Should I be thinking 36"?

When you are talking size if you pardon the pun is this a subjective judgement or based upon some mathematical theory which manufacturers have cobbled together.?

Ta.

5. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Get as big as you can afford, then you wont regret not buying the big one when you could.

6. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi WSH;I was thinking of suitability for a room + optimum performance.

No point in putting a huge T.V in a very small room as would look ludicrous and I can`t see my wife being very happy with that concept.