AdrianFoot

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi brains trust, I'm upgrading my home theatre and need some help on making a decision on upgrading my speakers. Currently I'm running the Accusound PS100 5.1 setup off a Yamaha RX-V1067 amp. We're redoing the room and in keeping it neater, I'm wanting to go in wall and in ceiling. I've had a chat with a couple of different quality AV suppliers, but everyone carries different ranges so I cant directly compare. These are the 4 packages in my price range, and I'd welcome any feedback on these setups.

All will be running a Jensen QX-80 sub off the same amp. I'm going 7.1 with the surround in the ceiling so if i upgrade the amp I can run 5.1.2

1. Q Acoustics
QILCR65RP LCP - x3 for fronts and centre
Qi 80c - x2 for surround in ceiling
Qi 80RP - x2 for rears

2. Jensen
303 Elite - x2 for front and centre (they run a discrete bridged cone in both left and right that is the centre channel)
404 Elite - x2 in ceiling
203 Elite - x2 in rear

3. Swans
Hi-Vi VR5-LCR - 3x for fronts and centre
Hi-Vi WS 6.5 - x2 for ceiling
Hi-Vi VR6-W Reference -x2 for rears

4. Earthquake
EWS530C LCR - x3 for fronts and centre
R800 8" -x2 for ceiling
EWS800 -x2 for rears

Thanks!

-Adrian

Not sure about the individual speakers as they don't have comparable models in the UK.

However I personally would avoid ones that are all based in the ceiling. You end with a weird sound stage and coming from what you have now think you would be disappointed. Been in a few Australian homes and they have had nice projector setups, ruined by in ceiling speakers. Just doesn't work for me.

I went from floor standers to on wall speakers though to please the wife. Though they don't make my speakers any more at least they are in the right position from a layout point of view. It then leaves the ceiling clear for Dolby Atmos should you want that too :)

Not sure about the individual speakers as they don't have comparable models in the UK.

However I personally would avoid ones that are all based in the ceiling. You end with a weird sound stage and coming from what you have now think you would be disappointed. Been in a few Australian homes and they have had nice projector setups, ruined by in ceiling speakers. Just doesn't work for me.

I went from floor standers to on wall speakers though to please the wife. Though they don't make my speakers any more at least they are in the right position from a layout point of view. It then leaves the ceiling clear for Dolby Atmos should you want that too :)

Thanks for that. Yeah I'm only running one pair in the ceiling for surround (or Atmos). The fronts, centre and rears will all be wall mounted

So this is my current rear wall of my theatre room, with the projector and the current bookshelf rears on stands. I am redoing the speakers in the room and adding in-ceiling surrounds and in-wall rears. The room is 6 metres across. The current rears are where they are for convenience, but when I install the in-walls I can change this. Being that the couch is hard up against the wall, do I put the rears wide of the couch, or in a similar position to the existing rears? Looking for opinions of people who have done similar setups.

Thanks!

-Adrian

IMG_6674.jpg

adding in-ceiling surrounds and in-wall rears.
Are you putting the surrounds in the ceiling in a 7.1 speaker set up? Are the remaining speakers going to be set at, or just above a seated head height?

I would not put any speakers other than those destined for the Atmos domain in the ceiling. With your seating in that position I would certainly use those inceiling speakers for a 5.1.2 Atmos layout. Certainly a far more immersive soundstage than what is going to be a very compromised 7.1.

I've merged your two threads that are on the same subject. Cross posting is best avoided. Please read rule 8.

Are you putting the surrounds in the ceiling in a 7.1 speaker set up? Are the remaining speakers going to be set at, or just above a seated head height?

I would not put any speakers other than those destined for the Atmos domain in the ceiling. With your seating in that position I would certainly use those inceiling speakers for a 5.1.2 Atmos layout. Certainly a far more immersive soundstage than what is going to be a very compromised 7.1.

Thanks for that! At this stage, my amp is only capable of 7.1 as it's too old for atmos, but too good to replace at this stage. So I figured, by adding the surround into the ceiling above the seating position, I can use them as surround for 7.1 (yeah i know not ideal), but then when I upgrade the amp to run 5.1.2 can use them for atmos

Thanks for that! At this stage, my amp is only capable of 7.1 as it's too old for atmos, but too good to replace at this stage. So I figured, by adding the surround into the ceiling above the seating position, I can use them as surround for 7.1 (yeah i know not ideal), but then when I upgrade the amp to run 5.1.2 can use them for atmos
Providing you place them correctly for Atmos, but that positioning will be wrong for surround. In a 7.1 the surrounds should be opposite the seating area with the rear surrounds around a meter back from that seating. This guide will show you the best positioning of speakers for 7.1 and Atmos.

Providing you place them correctly for Atmos, but that positioning will be wrong for surround. In a 7.1 the surrounds should be opposite the seating area with the rear surrounds around a meter back from that seating. This guide will show you the best positioning of speakers for 7.1 and Atmos.

Cheers. I can't really go to the side though for surround being I'm going in-wall/ceiling and one of my walls is brick Was thinking of going in ceiling and slightly wide to get a similar effect, and angle the tweeters in

If your long term plan is 'immersive' avoid anything 'in-ceiling' which is not going to be an overhead channel and note the surround and rear channels are mounted lower on/in the walls then you would set them for 5.1 or 7.1 system.

Some of the SWANS and Earthquake look like the same speakers! No experience with SWANS - we have installed s few of the Earthquake Audio systems and they are great value for money, though I would look at three of the EWS800 for your Front LCR.

It would be good to see the full room not just the rear of the room.

Joe

If your long term plan is 'immersive' avoid anything 'in-ceiling' which is not going to be an overhead channel and note the surround and rear channels are mounted lower on/in the walls then you would set them for 5.1 or 7.1 system.

Some of the SWANS and Earthquake look like the same speakers! No experience with SWANS - we have installed s few of the Earthquake Audio systems and they are great value for money, though I would look at three of the EWS800 for your Front LCR.

It would be good to see the full room not just the rear of the room.

Joe

Thanks for that! It's the same supplier that is dealing with the Swans and the Earthquake, and they have suggested they are comparable. Unfortunately the supplier is 1000km away so cant go and listen. Eventually I'll run the room as 5.1.2 when I update the amp, so the ceiling idea was to give me a future plan. Mounting 'on' the walls is a bit tricky, as I have a brick wall on one side and nothing on the other, and the couch is hard up against the wall which puts one's head about one foot from the back wall.
Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_6647.jpg
    IMG_6647.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_6648.jpg
    IMG_6648.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 99
For those interested, have opted for the Q Acoustics setup. Now just need to install :)

In my experience I've actually found adding speakers that are less than ideal isn't always the upgrade you'd hope for. 5.1 done properly sounds better than than 7.1 done wrong.

I like the idea of preparing for the future upgrade to Atmos but I'd suggest either not using the extra speakers or make the effort to prepare and run cables for the ceiling Atmos speakers and then when you upgrade the amp you just need to cut a hole and whack in the speakers.

In my experience I've actually found adding speakers that are less than ideal isn't always the upgrade you'd hope for. 5.1 done properly sounds better than than 7.1 done wrong.

I like the idea of preparing for the future upgrade to Atmos but I'd suggest either not using the extra speakers or make the effort to prepare and run cables for the ceiling Atmos speakers and then when you upgrade the amp you just need to cut a hole and whack in the speakers.

Thansk for that! I've installed the fronts and centre and they sound great. Will be installing the ceilings and rears shortly. If it doesn't sound great as 7.1 I'll just run it 5.1 as you advise, and when I upgrade the amp (which I'm already thinking of), it'll run 5.1.2. I'm amazed so far at the volume (as in amount) of sound coming from the front sound-stage now, much brighter and accurate than what I had previously. The sub is pickingup the missing bottom end that you get with a floor standing speaker

For all those interested, it's all in and installed now. Had a lintel above the front window above the drop-down projector screen so had to build a box for the centre speaker. all up about 6-7 hours of installation and a bit of time in the ceiling bit glad it's all done now! Sounds so much bigger than my previous system!

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_7074.jpg
    IMG_7074.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7075.jpg
    IMG_7075.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7076.jpg
    IMG_7076.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 111

The latest video from AVForums