What to buy?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MAG77, Jan 31, 2014.

1. MAG77

MAG77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Hi all. I'm new here but been reading a lot after discovering this forum a couple of weeks ago!

I need a new receiver to replace my ageing Marantz SR4200.
    I've got a budget of about £500 and think I've narrowed it down to either the Yamaha RXV1073 or the Pioneer SC1223.
    Not sure what to do now because been reading a lot of good things on here about the Onkyo TXNR818 and thinking of stretching budget to this, especially like the idea of the XT32 room correction. (Although having trouble finding somewhere that still sells it!)
    I use it for about 70% film and 30% music.

Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    What speakers do you have?
    Onyko and Pioneer are regarded as bright sounding so may not be to your taste if you like your Marantz. Hence the Yamaha may be the safer bet unless you can demo them to see which you prefer.

3. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    The best of the jap receivers are the yamaha's and the yamaha's have a warm sound whereas the pioneer is bright. Haven't heard the Marantz or onkyo but the onkyo will have the better room correction. Or you could try and find a second hand MRX300 what has arc the best room correction and sound out of all of them. Remember if they say 2 channels driven 130w when you are driving all 5 channels you will get 25w or 30w per channel maybe less. The MRX will have over 50w a channel 5 channels driven and they are real watts.

Anthem MRX 300 / 500 / 700 Series Owners Thread - Part 4 | AVForums

The Anthem MRX will be superior to all the other receivers in movies and music. And you have ARC what is the best room correction out there for the home user. Gives you more control and lets you tweak your correction settings.

£599 from the movie rooms. Talk to Dan he is a nice guy.

Anthem MRX 300 AV Amplifier

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  4. MAG77

MAG77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Thanks for the reply, yeah I've been leaning towards the Yamaha just wondering if I need the room correction as my rear speakers probably aren't in the best possible places!
    The speakers are AE Aegis evo3 front and centre with Mission 760i rears and a monitor audio sub, so a bit mismatched!

5. MAG77

MAG77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Thanks for the reply.
    I've not considered the Anthem as always thought they were out of my price range!
    Think I better start reading the above owners forum as you've linked, if they're available in my price range they could be a serious consideration!
    I get a bit confused about all the power ratings as they seem to vary so much! My speakers are rated at '150w maximum power rating' so from what your saying a 50w Anthem would be fine?

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    150w is a max and probably need around 20w as a minimum so the anthem will be more than fine. During normal listening you will only be using a few watts anyway. Look at sensitivity of speakers as this is the db produced by 1 watt at 1m. Say it is 90db the 2w will give 93db and 4w 96db so can get quite loud with not much power. Hence the anthem will have more than enough power.

7. MAG77

MAG77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Ok thanks, sounds like it will be enough.
    My speakers are 8ohm and 90.5db sensitivity.
    I like listening to films and music quite loud although the my Marantz starts to struggle a bit when turned up, think it's rated at 70W per channel but it doesn't seem like it!