What to Buy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by blue2555, Jan 2, 2005.

1. blue2555

blue2555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have been using my pc to recorded from my sky box( not +) and to burn DVD's but the whole the process is rather time consuming. Just for cutting out the ads. (I do not want to get sky+)

Please would someone advise me on the following: I would like to buy a DVD recorder like the Pioneers 220- range. OR something similar.

1. I would like to be able to cut out the ads. Editable VR mode any good? any problems playing back on other machines not seeing the edited chapters ?
    I have a Phillips DVP520 -which is able to play nearly all disks.(-/+ jpeg)
    Would this be able to ignore the edited chapters in VR mode- when finalised?

2. Do I really need a hard drive for the editing - as I only need to remove the ads or a late start in the recording? any other possibilities

3. Would I be able to play the finalised disks from the DVD recorder on my pc (not being RAM) or be able to play PC recorded DVD's on the DVD recorder?

And if not (although time consuming) - would I be able to record the output of the dvd recorder to my PC and then dub the edited version back to the DVD recorder?

4. What other things should I consider?

5. My budget is around £200-£320.

Many thanks.

2. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I faced a similar dilemma recently,I searched for ages trying to find a bit of kit that would cover all my needs, I was also considering building a htpc but decided the end result would be too costly and awkward to use.
    Maybe the next best thing would be to just buy a -rw dvd recorder,record what you want, finalize the disc and then put it into your pc and rip the files to the hdd for editing.

As far as I know the files are on the -rw are .vob format. I'm sure that you can just change the file extension from .vob to .mpeg and then use a decent editing program like WOMBLE MPEG VCR which is a very fast editing program.
    Or probably even easier would be to use TMPgENc DVD AUTHOR, import the .vob files and then cut/edit before authoring your final dvd.
    Why would you want to 'dub the edited version' back to your dvd recorder? Surely you could just burn the files you made using Tmpgenc back to a -rw or -r disc!

3. blue2555

blue2555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Johnnie,
    Thank you for reply. Would I need a RAM DVD recorder RW so that my pc would be able to read and edit from the disk? as I would have to buy my PC a new DVD RAM recorder !.
    And would the PC edited disk play back on the DVD recorder?
    Have you attempted something like this?

What about the editable VR mode? is it worth it, or as I understand that it is not always possible to hide all the edited out ads on other players.

Thanks.

4. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AIUI on the Pioneer 220 you can only edit on DVD-RW media in VR mode, which can only be played in a DVD player (PC or standalone) when they've been finalised.

It means spending more money but I came to the conclusion that the best way is to spend the extra on a HDD recorder so that you can do the editing on the HDD and then record the finished product directly to a regular DVD-R.

Some models of Pioneer (the 320/520/720) have a DV in and out which should let you connect the DVD recorder to your PC over Firewire and capture recorder video through iMovie/Movie Maker, this way you should be able to capture directly instead of having to rip from a DVD and convert it into something editable.

I really would get a HDD model if you can run to it, from everything I've read it makes the whole process so much easier.

Oh, and DVD RAM isn't an issue unless you buy a Panasonic or a Toshiba and use DVD RAM media.

Paul

5. blue2555

blue2555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    If I go the HDD route what should I look for? in edit terms? do you need to defrag etc like a pc? and do they produce a lot of noise

In my budget there is?

JVC DRM H20 £299. RAM?
    Toshibia RDX32 £359
    Pioneer DVR 420/520 from £326.

Which is best? any probs with compatibility with finished disks playing on the PC or on other players?

Any advantage in RAM? although probably have to invest in upgrading my PC Burner to readable?

Thanks.

6. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You should also look at the Panasonic E85 given that it offers better recording PQ than any three of those you list. I would suggest avoiding JVC as there machines lack RGB input. Also note the Pioneer's lack component outputs.

In a HDD/DVDR combi you'll most use write-once DVD-R as this is the most compatible format. Your uses for re-writeable media will be limited to transfer files to the PC, temporary storage whilst you clear out your HDD for formatting and high integrity backups. Either DVD-RAM or DVD-RW can fulfill these functions - however I would say the cost of a DVD-RAM compatible DVD-ROM drive (about £17 - such as these models from Samsung or LG) is minimal compared to the benefits of not needing to finalise, native Windows XP support and the longevity of RAM discs. The DVD-RW lobby would disagree saying that they value the high compatibility of a finalised DVD-RW above all else.

7. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the Panasonic E85 for Xmas as part of the SCHT37R "all in one" home cinema system, the PQ is excellent, easy to use. and great editing functions, best HD recorder on the market for sub £400 at the moment, need to be able to handle RAM or DVD- discs. You wont be disapoointed though if you take the plunge - well done Panasonic in producing an excellent home cinema system with excellent HD recorder.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

8. slarti

slarti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Chaps can you confirm that the E85 has a DV(iLink) input and composite ?

TIA

9. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    No, the E85 does not have DV in.

Mark