1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to buy???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JerryBolton, Nov 21, 2003.

1. JerryBolton

JerryBolton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have an old Tosh 32 widescreen tv. (Its massive and V heavy). Its started to play up with screen flickers and the like. I bought it as a grey import, so support from Toshiba is a non starter, I have to replace it. This is the story I've told my girlfriend. :devil:

So, I'm interested in a plasma screen to replace the nasty heavy beast that sits in the corner of my room.

I have sky+ and dvd inputs. I have a nice old amp (DD5.1) and speakers which I can run all my sound through. All I need is a nice new plasma screen. My drive is picture quality and sufficient inputs to connect sky, dvd and maybe my PS2. I am looking at value for money under £3k and availability before Christmas.

Thanks for the help.

Jerry

2. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say save another £200-£200 and go for the Panasonic TH42PA20B.

Can be had for about £3300 with 3 scarts and a few other things.

Will be easiest for you.

Koing

3. clouseau

clouseau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jerry,

Sounds like you have enough related gear not to need a full TV.. just the screen - so how about a Panny 6 for £2600 inc wall bracket and delivery....

you can buy me a pint with the change........

4. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Clouseau,

Didn't realise that the Panny 6 is for £2,600. Is this a special deal somewhere? Inc wall bracket and delivery?

Sounds like a good deal to me.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Pany PW6 with 1 scart board and 1 YUV board if DVD does YUV or 2 SCarts would be perfect and for £3k or less you wont get better! If 42 would be a bit big for your room then look at the Panny 37PA20 (37" only comes in PA guise.)
    CLouseau were have you seen panny 6 for £2600 inc bracket and delivery????

To connect PS2 use AV2 on Sky and get a PS2 RGB cable if dont already have one!!

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You can get a 37" PW6 as a euro import, I'm sure I've seen one advertised somewhere. Warranty is not swap out unless the dealer backs it, but then this is the way it is in reality with panny stuff anyway, they've never had a loan screen that I've heard of. Not that they go wrong much anyway. But back to 42", the man has asked for a panel, and been recommended the best for his job. You won't be needing the component board, just a YUV to 15pin sub-d cable, saves you some money, if you want prog. scan on the dvd. Maybe with a JS rgb to YUV you could do it all by component switching, and have no video board at all. Easier for WAF as well, you might not need a pronto controller then.

7. JerryBolton

JerryBolton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,
    Sounds like a Panasonic 42".
    I like the sound of the £2.6k inc delivery and brackets! Clouseau, I WILL buy you a beer if you can tell me where this deal is!

And as I'm not 100% up on all this stuff, whats a component board vs a YUV to 15pin sub-d cable?!?
    Is this to do with auto switching between display formats? Because at the moment this is a pain in the neck. My Tosh TV does switch automatically when connected to the sky+ (only after various key combinations on the remote), but NEVER from the dvd or PS2.
    Or is this simply the best way to get good picture quality?

My Tosh TV has 3 scarts and each of my 3 devices is plugged into one. The sky+ in SCART 1, DVD in scart 3 (as this has the digital audio input) and scart 2 is used for PS2 or the old vhs video.

Thanks again in advance for the help. All appreciated.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The panny has the ability to set the vga port to accept component video(YUV). You need no component board unless you want to use the PC input for something else, pc or a rgb-vga converter. Don't think you can autoswitch on a PW6 except via scart, universal remotes are popular for this reason!

9. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Be aware that you lose "Just" mode by using the VGA connector IIRC - which some people like for 4:3 material

JJ