1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to buy,Sagem 45 or samsung sp46l6hx

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by 5timeswinners, Aug 30, 2005.

1. 5timeswinners

5timeswinners
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Hi Guys
    I am new to the AV scene so be gentle. I am going to buy either the sagem 45" DLP or the Samsung sp46l6hx DLP. I have read lots on Sagem but i am worried about the quality of the DVI connection regarding noise etc on standard def pictures. Also is there any other problems with picture regarding DVI connection. I cannot find very mush on the Samsung. There is a big difference in price. Does this reflect the difference in quality or is it because the Sagem has been advertised more and hence popular.
    I would appreciate your advice.

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Welcome to the forums. :hiya:

This topic has been done a few times before, you can use the site search at the top right of the screen. You should find all the answers you need. [​IMG]

My advice would be to view both these screens and see for yourself. Demo is king. Be aware that the sagem has issues with a frosty screen effect caused by the reflective coating on the screen.

Good luck and happy shopping. :thumbsup:

3. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
  4. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have the SP46....superb with all sources. Sending it back due to rainbow unfortunatley...if you dont suffer from it you will love the sammy but always best to demo them 1st.

5. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the SP46L6 and can recommend it very strongly, I've demo'd side by side the Samsung SP46L6, Samsung SP50L7 and the Sagem, which I can thank a very helpful chap at Comet for (gasp! Helpful salesman shock!). As advised, be sure to demo them and go with your preference.

You're right that there is still very little info about for the SP46L6 and I'm amazed at this. I bought it 'blind' in that respect, as I couldn't get any joy from Samsung, but I would've thought that Samsung UK would be putting out some info by now. I wonder what they are playing at, as the set is now widely available, just about.

6. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi 5timeswinners :hiya:

I have the same choice to make and I've read about DVI noise on standard pictures. I was thinking I would rig up the Sky HD via both DVI and Scart and then view SD input via the scart channel. Anybody like to comment on this approach? :lease:

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Not seen one in action yet, but surely if the Sky-HD Box outputs via DVI/HDMI, that won't be confined to Hi-Def material. I would imagine it will output the digitally encoded standard definition material through the digital sockets as well, so no need for SCART.

Analagous to a CD player playing both AAD and DDD - you don't need seperate analogue connections to play the AAD discs as both will play through the same digital link.

The picture issues when playing SD material through a digtal link has been mentioned as an issue with the Sagem, but is not an issue with the Samsung.

8. YorkieAnd

YorkieAnd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please confirm (or otherwise) that the Samsung sp46l6hx is a High Definition TV. It doesn't actually state that it is on the Comet website, unlike the 50" option and the Sagem HD D45. Thanks.

9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes - it is a HD set.

Just watched Once Upon a time In The West. Incredible levels of detail resolved. This must be a demo quality disc.