What to buy, receiver for around £750 or less!!

furs307c

Ive been looking around for a while for a new receiver and was toying with the idea of a processor and power amp but have now quashed that idea do to the high price, so i am now looking for an receiver/amp for which i will be using 50/50 movies music, i have Epos M12.2 speakers atm, so a good match is needed, idealy i would like hdmi connectivity for my dvd player and hopefully ps3 :). 7.1 would be good, and also compatibility with the forthcoming sound formats would be good eg DTS-hd or whatever its called. Hope u can help someone :)

HCK

they're too busy eating their easter eggs

Overlord69

Hi,
I'd recommend the "Pioneer VSX-AX4ASi-S". Costs about £750 ish... ;)

vsxax4asis_medium.jpg

vsxax4asisdetail_medium.jpg

vsxax4asisback_medium.jpg

furs307c

I see you have this amp:D do you fins it very musical ive heard and played around with an ax10 how does this compare?

Sparc

You could also consider the Yamaha RX-V1700. I don't know about the match for your speakers but it satisifies your other requirements. I think this retails for around £750

big_rxv1700.jpg

big_rxv1700_Back_Panel.jpg

big_rxv1700_Front.jpg

furs307c

Hmm i didnt think about another yamaha, i need to get a demo of both really with my speakers and maybee the salesperson can reccomend some others too.

Sparc

I know someone with the V1700 and he swears by it. Of course, everyone is different, every environment is different and every set up is different - but definitely worth checking out.

Interested to see what you end up going for.

Dankeech

Arcam AVR250. Just been replaced by the AVR280. The AVR250 is an amazing reciever for the money and holds lovely Arcam musicality too. I've never looked back.

diva_ARV250_large.jpg

diva_AVR250_rear.jpg

:thumbsup:

Allows Bi-Amping if used in a 5.1 system, using channels 6&7 as the Front Bi-Amp channels (makes a great deal of difference), handles music with prowess, and all with Arcam dealer and manufacturer support network to boot.

Dan.

Rob20

7.1 would be good, and also compatibility with the forthcoming sound formats would be good eg DTS-hd or whatever its called. Hope u can help someone :)

I'm not aware of any amps that will decode the next gen sound formats i.e. dolby digital true HD, (or whathever they call it), and DTS HD. I think they'll start to appear this summer. Does anyone know? Still, I suppose you could just buy a hi-def player with the decoders built in.

furs307c

I know that there are no amps with these decoders yet, but i have been reading around and read u can get the player to decode it onboard then send it to the amp via lpcm or something like that, ive probably got it wrong tho lol:D

kingfats

Distinguished Member
I know that there are no amps with these decoders yet, but i have been reading around and read u can get the player to decode it onboard then send it to the amp via lpcm or something like that, ive probably got it wrong tho lol:D

Yep you've got it right mate.Anyway a good amp for 650 quid the Denon 2807 gets my vote.

A

AVdavid

The Sony 5200ES has 3 HDMI inputs and can accept audio over HDMI should future proof you and it won HCC receiver of the year 2007. Amazon have it for £630 at the moment.

Dave

furs307c

The 5200es looks great but what is the difference in the three current ES models?

bolts

If it's 50/50 movies & music your after then I would go with the Arcam, you could go for the AVR250 as Dan said or maybe a second hand AVR300. I just sold my 1yr old AVR300 to a friend for less than £750 and there are plenty of good examples about!

Best of luck with your choice.

furs307c

I have heard the arcam receivers and I personally find it a bit too much of a relaxed sound paired with my speakers. Just my opinion tho:D

furs307c

Im warming to the sony 3200es and 5200es and also the pioneer ax4 at the moment, just need to get a demo, i will take my current amp for comparisons, and then just need some more cash:D

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom