1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to buy - my digital Music device wish list, can any-one help?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kudosdude, Sep 21, 2005.

1. kudosdude

kudosdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all, I have killed my 4th CD player in 5 years (general misuse, I am a bit of a thug). I have been testing friends toys for a while:

Mini-Disc
    + Really enjoyed the sound quality of the mini-disc player, plus the ability to swap mini-discs' without having to download the tracks via usb constantly,
    - I know I will drop it or shake it to death.

Ipod
    + Looks nice
    - Worried about Hard-drive and battery life; dismayed at the sound quality (esp. after the beautiful reproduction of the mini-disc unit). I'm not saying this to annoy ipod users, I got a right old earful when I mentioned the sound quality (plus gaps between tracks (what is that about!)) to my friend, but ce la vie.

Unbranded USB 256mb flash drive MP3 Player
    + Indestructible (probably), replaceable battery (AAA) available everywhere, cheap as chips
    - Small size memory, similar sound problems to ipod.

I have decided solid state is the way to go, but I would love to be able to swap the memory e.g. sd cards, and it has to be able to play without gaps!!!

If you could throw some suggestions my way I would be most grateful. I am new to this subject. I'm not averse to importing to the uk if necessary.

With thanks

Michael

2. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Among solid state players, only Sony ones are able to play without gaps. But it doesn't make anymore the memory stick Walkmans that used to let you swap the media. So I don't see a clear option. Hi-MD players could possibly be the best option. Despite using discs, they're more resistant than hard-drive players because there's no physical contact during reading. And with 1GB, each disc gives you already the capacity of Sony's currently available highest capacity flash player. I don't know much about other players that use SD cards, but none is gapless.

3. kudosdude

kudosdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've looked for quite a while now, and have realised my ideal player does not exist. So I'm going to give swappable media a miss. All in all I think a 1gig player would do, I'm looking at the sony NW-E407, or (if I can get it cheaper) NW-E107.
    Do they do GAPLESS? I know atrac is gapless format, but seeing how many flash mp3 players struggle, I'd like to check.
    Are there any other options I should check seeing as I have moved the goalposts slightly?

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you use ATRAC, you've got gapless.