1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to buy - Home cinema system ???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by scooter1975, Apr 19, 2005.

1. scooter1975

scooter1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have just purchased a new 32" Panasonic 32PD50 CRT and a Panasonic EH50 HDD / DVD recorder to go along with it..

I have saved a bit of cash buying the above and would like to put this money (approx £300) towards a good surround sound system.

Quite new to all this, so any help would be grateful !!!

What do I need ?? I seen that alot of the systems have a DVD included, but I just got the new HDD / DVD recorder, so do i still require it in my home cinema system ??

I am looking for something that would be good for DVD, also for listening to CD's / MP3's and also a built in FM tuner might come in handy..

I already have a Technics Hi-fi system, so I was thinking if I got a system which would play CD's and had a tuner, then I could relegate the Technics to the kitchen...

What about speaker placement, are they better on the wall or on stands...??
    If you put them on the wall, how do you hide the speaker wires, as any wires drives the missus mad...

I was looking at the JVC system that has wireless rear speakers.. does anybody know if it is any good ???

Sorry for dragging on, but I like to have everything covered before i make any decision..

Thanks for your help in advance...

Scoot

2. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I pretty much started off at the same point as you about 6 months ago, but with a stereo system without the great telly!

I would start off by using the DVD recorder as the source for the moment, I assume it has either a co-ax or optical output? This should do for your cds for now as well, and if you're looking for DivX, 100 smackers will get you the Pio 575, which is what I'm looking into as my next upgrade

Regarding speaker setups, it will depend on your speaker choices at the front. Other than that, most sets will incorporate smaller rears, hence these will need stands, but seeing as they should be 2-3 ft above the ears when sitting, they well may need mounting. It depends on personal choice really, I would rather have mine wall mounted so they look neater. Obviously this leads to wiring problems as you have found.

I imagine the wireless rear speakers would come as part of a JVC set. I haven't heard anything of them, but probably would require some downsampling and loss of quality in transmission. Try listening to them side by side with another set and see what you think.

As a piece of parting advice, try looking at the Members Home Cinema pages near the bottom of the fora. Apart from being really nosey, it shows you how you can actually get HC to fit into a usable space and still be discreet. We're taking WAF/GAF here!

3. scooter1975

scooter1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slimchandi

Thanks for the advice / tips..

I'll go and take a look at the pics on the Home Cinema forum..

I am going to the high street tomorrow to look and hopefully demo some systems.. I'll let u know how I go...

Cheers...