What to buy for up to £15k...

KyleS1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Looking at changing my current diesel golf as i fancy something newer. I do 45 miles a day commute. I've looked at but not driven the Golf GTD, Golf GTI, Leon FR and Audi A3. The Leon and A3 were diesel like the GTD.
Ultimately I want something sub 8 seconds to 60, preferably sub 7 seconds. Not horrendous mpg as I will just regret it. Decent brand, nothing French or Italian. Decent ish boot as I have two youngish kids (5 & 2). 5 seats.
I'll sort some test drives when I get some time.
Is there anything else I should consider?

I also considered the 120/123d coupe M Sport but that model is starting to look a little dated.

Go and drive the Leon FR 184. Seriously.

£15k will get you one much newer than a Golf GTD which should be your second option.

Sub 7 to 60 diesel means a step up - the A3 184PS diesel (same as GTD and FR) will do it with DSG and 4WD fitted, but you'll be paying a fortune for the privilege.

Otherwise you need a bigger model for that acceleration - 325d etc of the 123d is a no go.

I sat in the Leon FR and had a good play but it looks and feels a lot cheaper than the GTD. I know it is cheaper and they have the same engine, but not sure if I'll regret as I'll be buying and keeping for a good few years. A decent lease would be a no brainer.

I'd also consider a petrol that wasn't too bad on the juice.

Something completely different but......
Mercedes Benz B class electric. A bit over budget but think of the fuel saving.

I sat in the Leon FR and had a good play but it looks and feels a lot cheaper than the GTD. I know it is cheaper and they have the same engine, but not sure if I'll regret as I'll be buying and keeping for a good few years. A decent lease would be a no brainer.

I'd also consider a petrol that wasn't too bad on the juice.
Leases on the 1.4T can be had and yes, plastics are cheaper...but ask yourself how much that matters.

If it does, Golf with higher miles. Done! Nothing beats VAG in this warm diesel hatch segment in my opinion. Octavia VRS a good shout too for slightly better feel than Seat plastic.

120d, preferably the B47 190ps engine. Out of all the cars mentioned it has the power going to the correct wheels.

Under 200bhp/ps I don't think rwd really matters that much realistically. Might have the slight edge in driving (if fitted with an LSD etc) but it's probably negligible.

Leases on the 1.4T can be had and yes, plastics are cheaper...but ask yourself how much that matters.

If it does, Golf with higher miles. Done! Nothing beats VAG in this warm diesel hatch segment in my opinion. Octavia VRS a good shout too for slightly better feel than Seat plastic.

I need to go and drive one. On paper the Leon is the obvious choice.

Something completely different but......
Mercedes Benz B class electric. A bit over budget but think of the fuel saving.

Good shout but if anything I'd rather go under budget then over.

Under 200bhp/ps I don't think rwd really matters that much realistically. Might have the slight edge in driving (if fitted with an LSD etc) but it's probably negligible.

It makes a massive difference in driving dynamics having the power going to the rear.

Which is the B47 engine?

It replaced the N47 2.0 diesel engine around 2014, uses a twin scroll turbo so has more low down torque and I find it pulls higher up the rev range.

It makes a massive difference in driving dynamics having the power going to the rear.
Yes, if you're constantly pushing the car to its limits, there's no denying that.

But OP isn't likely to be; and you'll pay a premium for BMW as a result.

I don't dislike them, but you can get better value for the £15k with other options in my personal opinion - especially with family to cart around, as the VAG options have estates and BMW do not with 1 Series (direct comparison).

We've got a Mazda 5 for carting around purposes, but I need 5 seats and a decent ish boot (no smaller than my golf) as we tend to go out in my car more as it's diesel.

The Leon can be had for closer to £12k for a 64 plate and that is very appealing. I just want to exhaust all options as I'll likely keep this a few years. Had the golf over 7 years.

Good shout but if anything I'd rather go under budget then over.
Shame. The electric model does seem to be quite more than a petrol/diesel variant. A non electric model should be within your budget however. I'd avoid the 1.5 diesel if you do decide to have a look
Something like this fits the bill
Mercedes-Benz B Class B220 CDI SPORT PREMIUM 2.2 5dr
Just the rear ends ain't took pretty

Yeah the 1.5 diesel is a Renault engine I believe. It's efficient, if not as refined as MB normally produces of course!

We've got a Mazda 5 for carting around purposes, but I need 5 seats and a decent ish boot (no smaller than my golf) as we tend to go out in my car more as it's diesel.

The Leon can be had for closer to £12k for a 64 plate and that is very appealing. I just want to exhaust all options as I'll likely keep this a few years. Had the golf over 7 years.
1 series being RWD will mean rear passenger space is eaten slightly by the tranny tunnel. Not a killer, but worth thinking about.

More importantly is the fact that the 5 door wheel arches consume some rear seat space. Boot is also a bit smaller than Golf et al but only something like 20-odd litres of memory serves.

I think my boot is 330 litres and the one series said 370. I might be getting my cars confused, I've looked at so many now! :)

Shame. The electric model does seem to be quite more than a petrol/diesel variant. A non electric model should be within your budget however. I'd avoid the 1.5 diesel if you do decide to have a look
Something like this fits the bill
Mercedes-Benz B Class B220 CDI SPORT PREMIUM 2.2 5dr
Just the rear ends ain't took pretty

It's not quick enough. The golf/leon/A3 are all 7.5 to 60. Ideally I want to be there or quicker. I really miss my civic type r but the fuel consumption would kill me.

I think my boot is 330 litres and the one series said 370. I might be getting my cars confused, I've looked at so many now! :)
Possibly! Thought the Golf was a bit bigger than 330 but it's not a huge difference in all reality.

My money would go on a Mercedes 350cdi either a c class or more likely an e class. Good shopping around will find one a 61plate or newer and so long as it has a full MB service I wouldn't hesitate. Had a few now but all brand new and they are an 'everything car'. 6 sec to 60 155 restricted top end, excellent build and 40 mpg. A lot if the 350 have expensive options too making for a very nice environment.

My money would go on a Mercedes 350cdi either a c class or more likely an e class. Good shopping around will find one a 61plate or newer and so long as it has a full MB service I wouldn't hesitate. Had a few now but all brand new and they are an 'everything car'. 6 sec to 60 155 restricted top end, excellent build and 40 mpg. A lot if the 350 have expensive options too making for a very nice environment.

That's not a bad shout really but I think I would rather stick to a hatch.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom