1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to buy for DVD and Xbox: DLP or Plasma?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by maxima, Apr 16, 2005.

1. maxima

maxima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, guys!

Havent heard about DLP until yesterday :)

I am going to buy something to replace my 32" CRT. I was thinking about Plasma actually. 37 or 42" with 1024 pixels resolution in within 1300 (for 37) to 1800 (for 42).

I am watching DVD and playing Halo 2 80% of time on TV. HD ability welcome :)

Could be DLP an alternative in this case for me? What models are nice? What problem I can face using DLP (bulb, mechanics) in compare to plasma (I know panels usually last 60K hours on half brightness).

Providing I will upgrade this TV in one year.

Thank you!

2. maxima

maxima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yeah. And which technology is more eyes-friendly ?

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Get both :hiya:

4. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Well i had this problem not so long ago. I went for dlp because i didnt have the kind of money to get the spec i wanted in a plasma. And after demoing the plasmas i could afford it just really wasnt any compertion. I would go dlp mate and chip your xbox to for hdtv gameing.

5. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a modded Xbox on loan & we updated the drivers last week it makes a great quality DVD player & you don't have to worry about screenburn playing games

6. maxima

maxima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yeah. and make 4 grand stereovisor :)

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    As one who IS affected, the only counsel I can offer is for YOU to make damned sure that you aren't going to get eye strain, headaches, or see rainbows, from YOUR chosen model, before you part with cash. Any recommendation or opinion about single chip DLP has to be viewed with this in mind, because they effect differs HUGELY from one person to another - so nobody else's opinion is helpful.

8. maxima

maxima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    you say - single chip. does that mean multiple chips (how many? 3?) dont lead to eye problems? is it more expensive?

i will go to Comet to test. how long I need to watch to see rainbows? :)

do I need some alcohol to see more than one rainbow? :devil:

Xbox - why do I need Xbox to be modded? Is it to prevent the screen of burns? (I have got separate DVD)...

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

Screen burns are not an issu with DLP tv's. Mod your xbox for a HD picture and to use as a media centre. Steve seems to be hooked on the xbox at the momnet :hiya: Hi steve.

You cant get a thre chip rear pro at the moment, only front projetors and they will cost over £20,000-00.

Out of all the dlp sets rainbows are rare wih the Optoma range but you cant view 60hz without juddr. You will need a modded xbox or a HTPC with power strip to convert to 50Hz. There are loads of posts on all the DLP sets :D

10. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need powerstrip for region one on the RD50 just the latest ATI or Nvidia graphic card drivers.
    Razor i don't know why you keep saying you need powerstrip.
    I have tried several PC's a modded Xbox & seen a minimac play region one DVD's without judder.

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Steve I keep saying I need powerstrip because I need powerstrip.

It jerks all over the place without it. Powerstrip smooths it out for me, no doubt. I can tell when its not on.

What you are saying doesnt make sense as the ATI card is outputing at 60Hz as it is listed in the options/catalyst. Powerstrip works very well with ATI cards and you can change the refresh rate to any level you want ie. 49.83 which works best for me for removing judder.

I dont disbeleive you when you say that you dont have judder but this could be because you have a Nforce mobo and I dont which are ment to have better movie/dvd playback features. Also you have been known to use PALTrue speed on windvd6 which switches to 50Hz.

You cant count xboxs as they are set to 50hz or 60hz. Surely you didnt set it up for 60hz for daily use. I would expect 50hz would be used.

I not knowledgable with mac so I cant reply to that one.

If you have tried powerstrip and you dont enter the right frequency the picture may judder more, its all a matter of trial and error. I used reclock for a while but found powerstrip better for my needs. I am sure if you tinkered around with it you will get better smoother playback after all thats what its designed for.

Does anyone else out there use a pc with a rd50 or rd65? Do they get judder? Do you need to use a progam to smooth out play back.

Steve please explain how you dont see judder from a card displaying an output of 60Hz on a set that cant display 60hz without judder. You havent got a nervous twitch you have been hiding. :devil:

BTW we have done this one before I think....lol :D

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    Testing for rainbows is a critical part of YOUR process of choosing.

Other people have done as you propose - gone to Com€t (or similar) and then later bought. Only to find that (examples)

- when watching some films the effect becomes visible
    - after an hour or so in the darkened environment at home (as opposed to the relatively bright shop environment) they start to get headaches
    - it isn't them, it's their wife/partner/friends etc who suffer and can't bear to watch

I'm not saying any of these thing will apply to you. Just that it's an expensive mistake if it does. You need to do your demo-ing in somewhere where they have a demo room so that you can get close to the lighting levels and distance from screen that you will have at home. You won't get this at Com€t, Dixon$ or Curry$ (etc). And take anyone who is likely to share your TV with you, with you!

13. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor Pal truspeed a feature of WinDVD6 has nothing to do with refresh rates.If you look at how long a region one film is and compare it to the Pal version the Pal has a shorter running length because it is speeded up.
    When they shoot a film they use 24 frames per second, a region one film then uses 3:2 pulldown to get to 60 hrz. A Pal DVD region2 they just show every frame twice to get to 48 then speed it up to get to 50 hrz.
    A region one & a region 2 DVD is stored on the DVD at 24 frames a second & they use flags to tell the DVD player what to do with those frames. All winDVD6 has to do is treat the :r1: DVD as a pal DVD & ignore the flags. It is much easier to do Pal than NTSC where you have to combine frames together by weaving them.
    Most computer monitors have a profile so windows knows what refresh rates can be used safely i suppose the RD50 has too & it requests & gets 50Hrz.
    I have tried several PC's ranging from an Pentium 3 1000 GHZ to a Athlon 64 at 3.5GHz
    only 2 of those had a Nvidia motherboard. All were sucessfull at removing the judder .

A modded Xbox has the same problem as the PC you feed it a 60 hrz DVD & then it has to convert it to 50 Hrz it must be one of the simplest things a computer is asked to do show every frame twice & then speed the output up from 48Hrz to 50Hrz. :lesson:

The minimac did have to use a powerstrip like program to get 50 hrz, i imagine newer drivers when they are released for the minimac will be able to get 50 hrz without using the reclocking program.The PC was not capable of displaying 50 hrz with the RD50 in December but the new drivers from Nvidia & ATI with the 1280x720 Hrz resolution are fine.

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Steve heres a link for a similar discussion in the pc forums. I have just found it.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201880

You say that you had a powerstrip type program on the mac to get it to play correctly so why were you confused with me using it for my pc. Also you just admitted that you set the xbox to 50hz to get a judder free picture. Again why are you using the xbox as an example as it needs a 50hz signal for judder free play. I know I have an xbox and other members have also backed this up. You need too set it to 50Hz in the dash board.

One thing I will ask you is have you ever owned an semi expensive dvd player I am talking £500+? As the playback from a top end player is much smoother than a standard affair. Also its no good comparing your pc set up outputing 60 hz with your Limit dvd player and goodmans tv ( I am not being funny when I say that either steve so please dont take offence, just friendly discussion). You might not be getting the smoothes playback from the goodmans/limit combo. The playback from an expensive player compared to a budget model is far smoother in my experiance. What you need to see is a good dvd player with a good display that can handle 60Hz ie any apart form the RD range. Only then will you have a refrence to compare your rd50 and pc with.

I will set a little task for you though, have you got 2 original copies of a region 1 film. Play them side by side and see if you can tell any difference. I am sure you will notice some difference, I would be surprised if you didnt. I was going to suggest getting a copy of each region but the conversion to disc may throw up some judder so I dont think this will be an accurate test.

I am very critical when I watch a picture and i have notced that you have posted a few pictures with the wrong aspect ratio, I wasnt the only person who noticed this LV426 picked up on it too. You were also watching your set for ages with the contrast up way to high and only changed it on my recomendation.

Also powerstrip works just as well with Nvidia cards, oh and Nvidia cards can be set directly to 50Hz if what I hear is right.

Anyway I think I have answered your question as to why i keep on saying I use Powerstrip, its becuase I need it. If you can get judder free play in your eyes from a pc at 60Hz then I am happy with that but unfortunately I cant. :(

One post describes how it judder is eliminated from pcs as they use de-interlaced snapshots of the frames and put them togther to produce a picture. They are doing the conversion the otherway round PAL to NTSC.

As I have said above no offence is ment on the comments :)

15. maxima

maxima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I like the way you type that names :):):)

16. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you understand Pal truspeed as used by WinDVD6 now?

Why not use it as an example after all you put a NTSC DVD into the Xbox that needs 60hrz you get 50Hrz ouput do you really think an Xbox is capable of doing something a PC can't , the PC is obviously doing the same just not bothering to tell you.

I havent got any problems with you using powerstrip you might need it with the 65 the screen area is so much larger it probably exagerates everything , the same as if i watch a football match using my PC it normally looks bad on the RD50 at 50" but if i shrink it down to 36" it's much better.
    No i havent but my son has more experience of the AV side & has seen an Arcam DVD player he thinks the PC with DVI output is the best he's ever seen.
    from your example it works just as well for NTSC to Pal although why would the PC need to convert 24 FPS to 60 FPS & then back to 50 FPS when the film is stored on the DVD at 24 FPS all the PC does is ignore the flags & put out whatever refresh rate is required be it 50Hrz , 60Hrz or 120Hrz

As i said before when you mentioned it i was taking photo's & channell hopping not watching programs. And if you want to check through my earlier post's you will find i have used the Cinema preset most i still use it for most sources. DVD is the one case where using the user controls can improve the picture a lot. If i use the same settings i use for DVD with Telewest cable
    the contrast set to 8 the picture looks poor.
    I''ve posted plenty of pictures of the RD50 with different sources that show the picture quality i get (no photo is going to do justice to what you see live)

17. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maxima sorry for going so far offtopic .
    LV436 makes a good point about taking all family members who will be watching the set along to the demo to make sure they don't suffer from rainbows.
    of about 20 people who have watched my set i'm the only one who has noticed them & i have to glance away from the set to see them. :)

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

Steve if you play a region 1 dvd or a region2 dvd on an xbox set at 60hz on the dash board it judders. It only stops juddering when it is set to 50Hz.

I know you say that were setting up the picture for a good shot. No doubt the picture settings were adjusted to best conditions why did you not adjust the aspect ratio. Maybe you dont notice it. It would be one of the first things I do.

With all due respect your son seeing an arcam in a shop isnt like owning a player of your own and tweaking it etc. I am affraid I will discount this. Its a bit like saying my mate has seen a tosh tv in comet and it looks better than your RD50. If you havent owned one I dont think you can comment really. Not being rude just truthful. These top end players arent £1000 odd for no reason. PC dvd playback has improved in leaps and bounds and is a great source for viewing dvds.

If my card says 60Hz then I would expect 60Hz to be displayed. When i play some games it is slightly noticeable. Why does powerstrip make playback smoother if my card was outputing 50Hz?

I think its is a combo of a larger screen which does show up more faults if present and you have a different mobo to me. You never know you may have a codec burried away that I dont. What ever the reason I cant get smooth playback at 60Hz from a pc without powerstrip I wish I could but I cant. :(

I think my sky looks poor if I set it to cinema or TV setting on the RD. Way too much contrast and all detail is lost. Every peice of equipment is different with regard to settings. Also our sets are slightly different in brightness and size which can effect the settings alot.

I agree that no picture does the the TV justice especially as it is scalled down to fit on the forums.

:D

19. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Xbox still has to display a 60hrz :r1: at 50 Hrz which it does, why do you not accept that an ATI card in a PC can do the same. All computer monitors have profiles & the plug & play one's tell Window's what refresh rates they can support. You can use your RD65 as a computer monitor so it's probable it has a profile too & it requests a 50 Hrz refresh rate.
    I don't have any problem with the idea of setting 1280x720 at 60Hrz & getting 50Hrz instead why should i care so long as it works.

Did you try your PC with the old video card drivers & the older versions of PowerDVD & WinDVD the judder was obvious.

I've explained what the true pal feature of windvd6 is to you a couple of times before but you seem fixated on the idea that it has to do with refresh rates. My photos at the wrong aspect ratio seem to worry you a lot as well
    but it has nothing to do with judder.

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Because the RD was made to accept 60Hz Optoma just messed it up the conversion. You can see a 60hz picture just not a smooth one which is consitant with the amount of cash spent on the RD50 and RD65.

When I swap from LCD screen to RD65 my settings jump from 75hz to 60hz. If it was giving me 50Hz then why I am I seeing judder. Why when I use powerstrip does the judder disapear.

I have the latest drivers on my card, I was the one who told you there was an update
    I do accept that a card canout put at 50Hz but when it is showing 60Hz then its is outputing at 60Hz. Steve this isnt hard to understand. My version of windvd6 isnt the latest as you can probably guess why ;)

Your photos are displaying the wrong aspect ratio are very disturbing steve, I have forwarded them to The Royal Society of Wrong Aspect Ratios (R.S.W.A.R) they will be pressing charges if your are found to be negilgent.

Locky or any other RD owner can you get judder free play without using powerstrip or reclock?

Any way steve if the R.S.W.A.R dont lock you up maybe we will find out.

I will ignore your comments on PAL True speed as it is clearly winding you up ;)

21. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Also when you set powerstrip to 49.83 the display jumps as it is resetting itself to a different frequency ie 60hz to 50hz ish.

I really think you should experiment with this after all you couldnt get theatre trek to work properly.... :rotfl: which is regarded as one of if not the best peice of software for dvd/movie replay.

22. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't all LCD monitors use a 60 Hrz refresh rate.?

The ATI drivers i'm using on the PC connected to the RD50 are dated 30/11/2004 version 6.14.10.6505 .
    The drivers on our other PC with the 9800 pro are dated 26th 10th 2004 version 6.14.10.6490 i did'nt bother updating as they both play region one DVD's fine.
    When you use your RD65 as a computer monitor to play games or surf the net what is
    your refresh rate set to. I have a ATI X800 pro & my RD50 is set at 60Hrz i have ticked the box that says hide modes this monitor cannot display . If i untick it i have the options of selecting 60 ,75 or 85Hrz.
    We know the RD50 cannot accept a 60 Hrz signal without judder so are u saying you cannot play your PC games on the PC.

Link to a post by you 20th Jan before you started using powerstrip.

23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

My LCD goes up to 75Hz so should yours its an iiyama isnt it? You get a better easy on the eyes pic on this setting.

My drivers are 2005 about a month old. I have a X800XT PE the big brother of yours.

I can notice the judder on some games Mashed for one. I do use powerstrip with some games. Zero hour crashes but i doesnt really need it as there isnt that type of game. I do see it in racing games as well. Oh and I can get tearing on the screen in farcry. It wont vsync with the RD65, but havent really tried to hard to solve as I have done this game to death.

If you lived nearer I would ask you round to see.

24. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As LCD monitors do not have a interlaced signal i would have thought 60Hrz was fine
    the reason CRT look better at higher refresh rates is because the signal is interlaced.
    The most important aspect of a LCD when it comes to gaming is it's response time.
    Do you have the hide video modes my monitor cannot display box ticked.
    Just dug out my LCD monitor manual i have the iiyama Prolite E431S i have two refresh rates at 1280X1024 resolution 60 Hrz & 75 Hrz 60 hrz is fine no flicker but i should be using 75Hrz for playing games as that gives the fastest response time , i don't play games much & never online but next time i use my LCD monitor i'll change to 75hrz no reason not to.
    Every game i've tried so far has been fine on the RD50 i've only played Unreal Tournament 2004 Grand Prix4 Halo 2 & the age of Mythology.

Even the desktop would display judder if it was at 60 Hrz the same as the titles of a DVD does if i use my limit DVD player.

25. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

I only see judder when there are panning shots apart from the original T2 region 1 dvd. The desktop has no panning in steve. :devil:

If your monitor supports a higher refresh rate it is benifical to use it. I find that it reduces eyestrain.

I dont see judder as much in games as i do in movies, everything is normally flying aorund the screen and I havent got time to stop and amire the panning. LOL. Im usualy trying to stay alive..... :D and to be honest because my mouse and keyboard range was poor it was hard to play games unless I was sat right next to the screen :eek: I prefer to play on my little old 17' but this might change as I have bought a Gyration keybaord and mouse set that has a range of 25 foot, Ive got it working over 35 foot and through a wall. :smashin:

Apart from 2 buttons that fell off its a good little keyboard. (Lion is probably still laughing at that one :))

26. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Panic Room R1 & the titles on my limit player clearly show the judder The titles are just hanging in the air between the skyscrapers & the judder is very easy to see.
    Using the PC they are steady as a rock.
    My limit DVD player judders all the time R1 to the RD50 there is a constant trembling & lack of sharpness to the picture.
    The Xbox is even worse if you try to use 60Hrz in the menus the picture is totally unwatchable. A constant tearing effect like V synch but horizontal.

The Gyration keyboard i take it the keyboard buttons just snap back in. The Gyration keyboard & mouse are on my maybe list for when i'm more solvent. :)

27. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

I wish they would just snap back in. LOL.... Save me sending it back.

The disc I get judder on with my sony dvd player is terminator 2 region first edition. They should have a motion sickness sign on the box. :rotfl:

28. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why did they break off did you step on it or was u just typing too fast :D
    It costs enough should be bullet proof the price they charge.

29. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

I dont know why they fell of they just did. :confused:

30. maxima

maxima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you very much guys. after all I have bought (just set up it) Toshiba 36zp48. I think it is the best considering amazing picture for my size of lounge (5m between sofa and tv)..

i think plasma/dlp solution has actual sence for huge size of screen (42-60).

cheers! I am going to enjoy halo 2 with brilliant picture!

ps I spent around 700 with 4 speakers, stand and delivery... I will enjoy it 2 more extensive :) (as I had buried 1400-1900 in my mind when was going to buy plasma or dlp)!!