1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to buy for £5K

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PaulHaggerty, Oct 19, 2004.

1. PaulHaggerty

PaulHaggerty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to upgrade my current AV system I have Wharfedale evo 40 speakers with the evo centre and rears, which I plan to keep.

I want to spend around £5k for a dvd player (this will also be my main music source), AV amp and a plasma tv, I could push the boat out a bit if I had too but I would like to stay close to my target budget. Any advice please

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    have you ever thoght of getting a projector like the panasonic ae700 instead of a plasma leaves you with more for the rest.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    £5k will get you a half decent plasma, and that's about it. As phillfy says, you should look at projectors, much better value for money.

4. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Its a good point about the projector but its not ideal for everyone. I wouldn't use one for everyday viewing like eastenders or the news. But I think £5000 could get you more than a half decent plasma... :)

I would look at Av-Sales, £1650 with a free terminal board (maybe dvi) for a Panasonic 42pwd6 is a stonking deal. Then maybe a Denon A1SR for under 2K at various places, maybe less as its about to be replaced. And finish with a Denon 5900 for around £1.1k - £1.2. Even less if you went for a newer 3910. Sevenoaks are doing some good deals at the moment. That package should leave you with a couple of hundred to sort out some decent cables or wall bracket/stand. A package like that would be at home with movies and music.

I'd be completely happy with the above package but you should have a few demonstrations. Equivalent gear from the likes of Pioneer/Yamaha/Rotel or others could be more to your liking, but certainly are available for similar prices.
    Or like you say you could push the boat out a bit and look at newer versions of what I've mentioned. Or more.... :D

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    What about the plasma as you suggest plus a Linn Unidisk SC @ £2995. By all accounts the Linn SC is a stunning DVD player with a built in processor that really does break the rule of 'separates are better'. All you need on top of the above would then be stand/bracket, amp(s), speakers and cables. I know this probably takes you over budget, but it will by all accounts be a great setup. I say 'by all accounts' as I have never seen the Linn Unidisk SC but have seen a few rave user reviews for it.

Mark.