What to buy Dune or PCH?

Beat Breaker

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello

I want to play bluray ISOs with full bluray menus....
All the ISOs will be on several shared drives, streamed from my HTPC

Can you tell me which player supports bluray ISO streamed from a PC and with full bluray menus

many thanks

There is no media streamer on the market that will give you full bluray menus due to cinavia being implemented as a requirement for full bluray menu support.

Your only option is a HTPC or a "proper" bluray player

ah I did wonder how Cinavia affected these players....

OK so given that you can't get full BD menus.... do the players give some kind of menu (I'm thinking of how to watch TV shows on Bluray where you need to play certain chapters)

Have you considered a Mede8er ? I have 2 x mede8er600x3ds and love them - had a PCH previously

If you can find a second hand Dune (most models prior to the 3D players) or a PCH C series player then they will play full Blu-ray ISO's with menu support. However no players for the past couple of years have been released with the full license, so no full 3D players offer menu support.

New players only have BD-Lite playback that gives a basic text only menu. So for a TV series disc you would see Track1, Track2..... etc with no details of which episode it is. However if you use MakeMKV to rip to individual files per episode then a video wall program will allow you to select the required episode from a synopsis screen. However there are issues with seamless branching discs when played with BD-Lite.

Mark.

thanks for info chaps... seems all the copy protection stuff is making it harder and harder for players like this to do a good job. Is Cinavia an issue on the older players (if they've been firmware updated for example)? I might try to find a Dune D1 if Cinavia isn't an issue and I can get full menus with ISO's from a shared drive or mounted on a virtual (shared) BD-rom drive...

seems all the copy protection stuff is making it harder and harder for players like this to do a good job.
I would say it is in danger of killing off media players, which is a real shame. I can't see me buying anything new unless something really special is released :(
Is Cinavia an issue on the older players (if they've been firmware updated for example)?
Nope, I've got a fully update Dune Prime 3.0 and can play all my BD ISO rips with the full menu. As the older players already have the full BD license they are not required to support Cinavia.
I might try to find a Dune D1 if Cinavia isn't an issue and I can get full menus with ISO's from a shared drive or mounted on a virtual (shared) BD-rom drive...
I stream all my rips from my server, but a NAS or even local HDD will still work. However I'm not sure about playing a physical disc in a shared optical drive would work. You could look at a B1 to play the discs, but even that has issues with some discs not playing, ie all recent Fox releases.

Mark.

Canivia is only an issue if you want the original BD ISO menu. I have a Dune Max which does play BD ISO menus but I prefer MKVs and a video wall. Select the film you want and it plays instantly - no waiting for a BD menu to load.

Canivia is only an issue if you want the original BD ISO menu.
Cinavia is an issue for all infected rips, regardless of the format they are ripped to.
So if you rip a Cinavia watermarked disc to an MKV and tried to play it on a Cinavia compliant device you would still be affected.

However no media players past present of likely future will have Cinavia support or it would render them useless.

Mark.

Yes, sorry poorly worded on my post. To have full BD menu the BD licence now includes mandatory support of cinavia. So if you want the BD menu look at older players which have the old full BD license but do not recognise cinavia.

However, if I was buying now I would happily forgo full BD menu and get one of the newer models with BD Lite.

For your info, if you do decide to go for an older player with full BR menu support, I have just put my Dune Duo up for sale in the classifieds.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom