1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to buy dilemma

Discussion in 'TVs' started by palmman50k, Dec 20, 2004.

1. palmman50k

palmman50k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i,
    I'm hoping to get a new large screen TV and can't decide between a Samsung PS42V4S, the new Toshiba 46" DLP Rear Proj. or the Sagem Axium 50" DLP Rear Proj.
    The reason I was thinking of going for the Samsung is that it is on special offer at my local Comet, where they are doing it for £1599 (might be £1549?) but are also throwing in a free Samsung 15" LCD TV (worth about another £250-£300).
    I currently have a Toshiba Picture Frame I 36" widescreen CRT TV, but I want to get something that can take prog. scan and is HDTV compatible and has a PC input as well. I guess it should also be HDCP compatible, so that might now exclude the Sagem (according to some web sites).
    I will be using it with a Toshiba RD-XS32 HD/DVD Recorder that does component prog. scan output (and converts all its inputs into that for output) so I will play my DVDs thru it and pipe my Sky+ thru it as well.
    I might consider buying a new DVD player with DVI (or HDMI) output to get even better quality if needed (I have a separate Pioneer 565A Universal player that I normally play my DVDs on).
    I haven't yet had a chance to check with John Lewis (shops mad 'cause of xmas) to see if they will price match Comet (I'd obviously prefer a 5 year warranty, but wouldn't get the free LCD TV).
    Could someone please give me an honest opinion as to which way I should go (plasma or dlp rear pro) for my current and future needs. I also saw someone mention about getting the Toshiba set from Costco at a good price, but I'm not sure if my local (Watford) branch has it (I don't recall seeing it there recently), but they offer, normally, a 3 year warr. on TVs.
    My wife will be watching it a lot, so it must make Eastenders look good from Sky+ :) .
    Thanks.

2. Carl_Docklands

Carl_Docklands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bottom line is that a budget plasma like the samsung is not going to offer you the same level of picture quality the tosh or sagem dlp sets will deliver. It is a tempting offer for that plasma, but it depends how nutty you are about movies :)

Ive owned a couple of plasmas, including a nice panasonic model. I swopped it for a DLP set as i think the picture from DLP is much more cinematic than Plasma. I would have had a full blown projector setup, but as i live in an apartment with lots of light it is just not practical.

I still have a plasma in my bedroom and thats where they make real sense; installing them in places where you have little or no space.

If you have the space (and be warned they are big sets) then i would go for a DLP set almost everytime. But it also depends on your budget, a top of the line plasma will always be a tempting option, but as my budget was £2000 i just would not have been able to acheive the king of results and features i wanted.

Sky looks fine on my screen, but you have to tweak it. The speakers are exceptionally good and if you use HDMI with them, less cable spaghetti. The tosh has VGA input and DVI but as far as i know no 1:1 mapping feature, so its not absolutley perfect but its pretty good from my experience.

And if you have lots of Region 1 discs, make sure the set you choose does not suffer from playback issues.

I think Sagem are releasing a new set in January, you might be wise to wait until then to decide!

3. palmman50k

palmman50k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Carl.
    I think I need to put my decision on hold for the moment anyway, due to other financial commitments rearing their ugly heads!
    I will wait to see what the new year brings with the new Sagem HD45 and the review of the Tosh in WhatVideo.
    I had a longer look at the Samsung in Comet yesterday and there was a lot of banding, but that was with their normal feeds and a quick scart DVD play, so I'm not sure what it would be like if it was properly shown with component or RGB.
    I don't think I should make a rash decision just because the deal is so good.
    As my wife says, 'what's wrong with the picture on the Toshiba?' and she's quite right. I'm only missing out on a progressive input on it.
    Rafi.