1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to buy dilemma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by palmman50k, Dec 20, 2004.

1. palmman50k

palmman50k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I'm hoping to get a new large screen TV and can't decide between a Samsung PS42V4S, the new Toshiba 46" DLP Rear Proj. or the Sagem Axium 50" DLP Rear Proj.
    The reason I was thinking of going for the Samsung is that it is on special offer at my local Comet, where they are doing it for £1599 (might be £1549?) but are also throwing in a free Samsung 15" LCD TV (worth about another £250-£300).
    I currently have a Toshiba Picture Frame I 36" widescreen CRT TV, but I want to get something that can take prog. scan and is HDTV compatible and has a PC input as well. I guess it should also be HDCP compatible, so that might now exclude the Sagem (according to some web sites).
    I will be using it with a Toshiba RD-XS32 HD/DVD Recorder that does component prog. scan output (and converts all its inputs into that for output) so I will play my DVDs thru it and pipe my Sky+ thru it as well.
    I might consider buying a new DVD player with DVI (or HDMI) output to get even better quality if needed (I have a separate Pioneer 565A Universal player that I normally play my DVDs on).
    I haven't yet had a chance to check with John Lewis (shops mad 'cause of xmas) to see if they will price match Comet (I'd obviously prefer a 5 year warranty, but wouldn't get the free LCD TV).
    Could someone please give me an honest opinion as to which way I should go (plasma or dlp rear pro) for my current and future needs. I also saw someone mention about getting the Toshiba set from Costco at a good price, but I'm not sure if my local (Watford) branch has it (I don't recall seeing it there recently), but they offer, normally, a 3 year warr. on TVs.
    My wife will be watching it a lot, so it must make Eastenders look good from Sky+ :) .
    Thanks.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's easy, just turn it off. That's a conceptually hard choice to make, but I'd avoid the Samsung, you can do buckets better for the money. The Sagem is not HDCP compliant, but we are told they are working on a fix for this, and it does look pretty good. Still a fair size box tho, but if you've got the room it would likely be the most satisfying to own out of those 3. Lots of picture for the money, true hi def resolution, and at that price, just how important is HDCP? In 5 years time when we might actually have some hi def content, will you be able to afford a new display?

3. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you want HDTV, if you want HD-DVD / Blu-Ray, if you want to use DVI (or HDMI) connection on existing DVD players, then HDCP is essential - regardless of price.

We will have HD content long before 5 years is up - a significant amount of what Sky already broadcasts is available as HD, and they are likely to have football broadcasts (and other major sports) in high def ASAP. HD-DVD should hit here in 2006.

Whether you can afford or want to move into HD inside 5 years is another question, but we'll almost certainly have 'respectable' amounts of content in less than 3.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    By respectable I take it you don't watch wet t shirt contests and repeats of Eurovision on Euro1080? I think you are optimistic on the time schedule, just an opinion of course. I know the beeb has just got some HD cameras, so we might see some things from them in 18 months or so, but most broadcasters don't have that kind of money. It's not just sky who have to make the move, it's the whole shooting match, production from start to finish.

5. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD will be sooner than you think, in my country all productions are all made already in 720p and 1080i mostly, so it's not a money issue, the broadcasters already have the equipment invested in.

Most productions from the U.S that European broadcasters buy are already in 1080i or 720p, just look at Sopranos or look at any other show.

In Germany the largest pay-TV provider Premiere will start it's HDTV broadcasts in November, 2005.

I think in 2006 we will see people scream for HDTV and christmas 2006 everyone wants a HDTV.

HDCP is important and shouldn't be neglected, buying the wrong plasma today can be total darkness in 2005 trying to watch HDTV if the market moves as it wants.

6. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I acknowledge that, but what does Sky's own content mostly consist of? Sports, movies and US series. The majority of that is already available in HD, and don't you think it likely that they will have HD broadcasts of things like football sooner rather than later?

And then, as you say, there is the Beeb - who are already testing HD broadcasts. BBC / Sky Movies / Sports makes up by far the majority of my TV viewing. That's not going to sell it to everyone, but it's still a respectable output.

7. palmman50k

palmman50k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks to all who have replied.
    I'm going to bide my time I think and wait to see what the new year brings.

8. veronica.rowe

veronica.rowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: