1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to buy?an xbox or ps2

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by soulbrother michael, Jan 2, 2003.

1. soulbrother michael

soulbrother michael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone of you very clued up chaps advise me on which console to buy.I am a novice gamer ,everyone seems to be buying the ps2,but the xbox looks a better and more powerful machine,but are games such as gta vice city available on the xbox.Any advice would be very grateful.By the way i will be hooking it up to my denon 3802 av amp.

2. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    D O A S E A R C H

Buy a book and read instead.:D

3. soulbrother michael

soulbrother michael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have ,but its always good to get a second opinion,thanks anyway just thought someone could help.

4. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We need an automated machine to reply to threads like this,:)
    what is always said is that if you want a great selection of games then buy the Playstation 2. If you want platform games and bright colorful games i.e Mario, then go for the Gamecube. If you want FPS and great graphics/sound (5.1) then you want the Xbox.

All 3 consolse offer a selection of the types of games mentioned above but at the end of the day its what games you want to play. I want to play what each console has to offer, thats why ive got all 3.

GTA VC wont be available untill next year on the Xbox.

5. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in a similar predicament. I'm not going to say what I got in the end, but I could not live any longer without Vice City.

6. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So you say it anyway.:D

7. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I've now got an X-box to accompany the other two! I don't really want 3 consoles, but there are killer titles on each that I really want to play!

I agree on the lots of titles/colourful/dolby5.1 sound comparison.

I'd say, if you plan to hook-up to a Dolby Digital amp to use the 5.1 sound and like Halo, then the X-box is a must have for the 5.1 channel sound effects placement and atmospheric music sequences alone. Surprisingly I've not noticed such surrounding sound on any other X-box title, and I've now tried 5 X-box titles in all.

The X-box also came with Sega GT 2002, Splinter Cell and Jet Set Radio Future. I'd say Sega GT and Splinter Cell may turn out to be as interesting as their Gran Tourismo 3 and Metal Gear Solid counterparts on the Playstation2.

Soundwise, with the exception of Halo, all the above titles have good sound, but not mind blowing. The Gamecube and Playstation2 only have dolby surround type matrixed sound, not discrete multi-channel, so if you have Dolby Pro-Logic 2 or DTS neo:6 on your AV amp, then they may sound nice, but probably still not as good as SOME titles can sound on the X-box with Dolby Digital 5.1

Graphics wise, there's surprisingly not a lot in it with the several titles I've seen. More polygon detail on the X-box Sega GT, but a less smoothed, sharper rendering on Gran Tourismo 3 compared to Sega GT. This is on a 7ft Barco 808s dscaler'd screen at 1440x720@100Hz!

Both Sega GT and Gran Tourismo support 16:9 widescreen enhanced display modes. It seems like a few X-box titles do not, and most Playstation2 titles do not.

Engine noises are more detailed, but more shrill on X-box Sega GT and smoother but a little less interesting on Playstation2 Gran Tourismo. Handling and physics seems really great on both.

The playstation2 seems to have a great and varied catalog of gradeA titles, such as fooball games (iss pro evo2 and the fifa one) plus Grand Theft Auto, etc.

As far as I can see, the X-box has 3 or 4 killer titles, all in the pack I got. I don't plan on getting any more games for a good few months, well perhaps that Crazy Taxi 3 one.

If you have broadband internet, then the "X-box Live" on-line game linkup service may appeal a lot, I think it starts in the UK this year. The X-box has the required network and hard disk already built-in.

The X-box is currently cheaper at about £185 inc the 4 tripleA grade games. Plus you probably won't need a memory card if you don't want to take game saves round a mate's house.

The Playstation2 is probably more for someone who likes to play several good titles and who also appreciates getting very good, but not necessarily absolutely cutting-edge titles fron the under £20 Platinum range.

I don't play lots of games, but like to get really engrossed in just a few, and have a dolby 5.1 amp and broadband, as such right now, if I have to choose one or the other I'd pick the X-box. But I'd rather have both!

Hope this helps.
    regards,
    Rob.

8. soulbrother michael

soulbrother michael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Rob,thanks for the reply.I'm probably going to get the PS2 ,after much thought because there are more games available also not being a hardened gamer the ps2 should be fine for me,thanks again.

9. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good choice!;) but then again any of the other two would of been a good decision as well.:)

Give it a month or two and you'll be on here again saying '' whats best, Xbox or Gamecube. :D

10. neoxp

neoxp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good choice Soul...I have a PS2 and a Gamecube. Haven't warmed to the X-Box yet. I've got a decent PC as well and all the killer games on the X-Box are on their way to the PC as well.

Maybe something will appear to make me change my mind.....maybe not.

11. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Erm.... PS2 GTA: VC - DTS 4.0 I believe.... :)

(I don't think I've ever achieved such a high acronym density in a sentence before!)

Also, take a look here http://www.dtsonline.com/home/videogames.pdf for some other PS2 titles with DTS.

Cheers, Clive

12. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Yeah, and I'm sure it could do DTS ES 6.1 discrete too, plus many titles are in Dolby Digital 5.1, but what they always forget to mention is that only in the pre-rendered cut scenes.

Then we are harshly dropped back in to Pro-Logic in the next game level.

The X-box is the only one that keeps the Dolby Digital 5.1 lights on in the game.

cheers,
    Rob.

13. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Rob, I think you're wrong, and you're right :)

I certainly have one game - Wipout Fusion - which is exactly as you say - lovely digital sound on the intro.... which then drops back to PL for the game.

I believe the DTS titles are different however - GTA: VC certainly runs DTS 4.0 for the whole game. Of course, as you say, no 5.1 however!

Cheers, Clive

14. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I don't see how, as the Playstation2 doesn't have a DTS encoder built in.

Can't argue though, if your DTS light is on, then it's on!

cheers,
    Rob.

15. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mean any offense with what follows, and if you want to buy a PS2, then go ahead. You'll have plenty of fun with it.

But to be honest, I'm still surprised that people are choosing the PS2 over the XBox and Gamecube. I'm not talking about games or specs... I'm just talking about the price. With the GC's very competitive price, and the incredible XBox bundle deals, the PS2 still seems overpriced to me. I'm not criticising, but if I was in the market for a PS2 right now, I'd do an awful lot of shopping around to get a good deal. Where the GC and XBox are concerned, you can't help but get a good price.

And considering soulbrother michael's own admission as to not being a hardcore gamer, I would think he'd be inclined to go for the Gamecube. (which, I think, is still the cheapest of the 3) Again, I'm not criticising, I'm just expressing my surprise. I guess Sony's brand image is still selling consoles.

16. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Indeed! And if my Denon AVC-A1SR is getting it wrong, I'd be pretty surprised! :) As I would be if the option within the game for turning DTS on was entirely cosmetic....!

Clive

P.S. I'm not a PS2 nut or anything - I fully intend to buy an XBOX in the next few weeks to add to the console collection!

17. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PS2 does not need to decode the DTS, that's the amp's job...

Anyway - Xbox or PS2? My 2 cents worth...

I just had to make the same decision. I really want GTA Vice city, but after looking at both options I decided I can wait for it to come out on the Xbox, or maybe get a cheapo PS2. The Xbox is indeed a very powerful box, and cheaper, and yes, it needs more software, but I kind of like that as I have 4 brilliant games and need buy no more for a while (Amped, MotoGP, GT2002, JSRF).

Reading news on current games dev. I am encouraged by things like "Toca Racer for the Xbox will have 8 more cars on the track at any one time in the Xbox version because of the power available" etc.

Also, Xbox is still very new and I recon the 2003 titles will be like the PS1 second generation titles - pushing the envelope a lot further. The games I already have are superb.

I think the killer app for Xbox is the "Live" on-line aspect. I hooked it up last night (with no problems) and got straight into 15 player MotoGP races with voice. What I like (after playing a lot of PC online games) is:

Everyone has a headset, and it's the same one.
    Everyone has one GameTag ID
    Nearly Every new game coming out is "Live" ready.
    Finding a game is childs play.

I see Xbox as becoming THE online console. Sony's upcoming solution seems a bit fragmented.

I recon that was may 4 cent's worth? :)

18. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    There is no doubting the xbox is the superior machine if it wasnt microsoft would need a bat to the head as they had sony's machine as a yard stick.

It just doesnt have the games I want though.

WE6FE
    Devil May Cry
    Vice City

19. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean. I NEED Vice City. I'm swapping my Xbox for my mates PS2 for a week. I'm now officially a console "Swinger" :cool:

20. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    This coming from you :eek: i cant believe it

21. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I have never said the xbox was inferior to the ps2 technology wise.

The PS2 does have better games though and I dont believe the next gen xbox games will be all that better as its a capped PC not a box of awkward trix like the PS2.

22. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alright mate, with custom shaders xbox is far from 'capped'.

Those who have played Live wouldn't even entertain the idea of anything.

It really does make every other game, including the likes of GTA seem no fun. Even my copy of splinter cell barely gets a look in since I got Live.

23. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've got a DC, 3 Xboxs, 2 PS-2s and 1 Nintendo Gamecube.

The best quality games are on the Gamecube no question. Metroid Prime is game of the year.

DC has a fanastic collection also, Daytona Online rocks.

The Xbox has some quality titles. Christmas was a big improvement and a few new games, Panzer Dragoon Orta look bright on the horizon. Steel Battalion is outstanding.

Xbox Live in my view is a huge disapointment, the games on it are boring, MotoGP is reasonable but its hardly a breakthrough.
    The fact that games are hosted on an end user xbox creates a significant amount of lag for some bandwidth hungry titles. Xbox Live needs a killer app. The system is good.

SOCOM Navy Seals on PS-2 online however its outstanding. Voice playing quick lag free matches and superb gameplay handling. Vicy City is fantastic.

No matter what console you chose you won't be dissapointed, but you should check carefully what type of game you want to play:

FPS/PC like -> Xbox
    Arcadey pick up and play -> PS-2/DC
    In depth thinking different games -> GC

Regards,
    Neil.

24. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369

compared to a PC its capped.

and compared to Battlefield 1942 online, live is nothing special.

25. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Actually most reviews say Halo beats metroid.

"In depth thinking different games -> GC"

liked your post but totally disagree with this statement.

have u played metroid yet?

26. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Reviews? I don't think so. I've never paid any attention to a review score in my life. Review scores are all about personal opinion. :)

Regarding Metroid, I've completed about 65% of it. I really liked Halo but Metroid Prime is a far superior game to Halo in my view. The attention to detail in both games is excellent but Metroid tops it from the start. Halo is kind of a Star Wars type film, fills you with a happy feeling in side and you help your buddies. But Metroid is more of a Alien type film, your are on you own and you have to come to terms with than and survive. Either way both are great games. When playing both of them I couldn't wait to get to the next stage / part of the story both games are riveting.

Also Halo towards the end seems to have been rushed to hit the XBox live starting date, I'm sure that Halo 2 will be far superior in this regard.

In my view alot of the GC games I've played are much more well designed from a gameplay perspective: Pikmin, SMB, SMS, Animal Crossing are great examples of different games with a huge amount of depth.

Regards,
    Neil.

27. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Absolutely BF1942 is awesome. One to watch though BF1942 expansion pack next month and BF1942 on Xbox in a couple of months, I can't wait to see the latter as its liable to be hugely chopped. Many great PC games on the horizon: C+C Generals, Sim City 4, d00m 3, Quake 4, The Sims Online - I see this as the year of the PC more than any of the consoles. Just waiting for Doom before I go spend a couple of grand upgrading my PC :)

Neil.

28. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    you forgot BlitzKrieg:D

29. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    what you have just described is nintendos niche and its achiles heel if you think about it.

30. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it does. I believe it's called the Emotion Engine. And it does Dolby Digital too.