What to buy - 40"-43" - no aerial or cable connection.

Vizzo

Novice Member
Need a 40-43" tv in a room with no aerial or cable etc connection.
So it is to be used purely via wifi/ethernet.
Want access to main TV channels eg freeview.
Need netflix/ prime video.
Not needed for gaming or anything like that.

I've tried to look at various options but I think I'm right that some TVs have Freeview Play installed. Does this mean you can just access all those channels or do you need to enter login details for BBC iplayer, itv, all 4 etc to access their live channels in this way. Do I want an android tv?

I'm looking for 4k but low budget :)))

There seem to be a number of Cello, Hisense, TCL models available at around £300 ish atm
Are these worthwhile? Have always gone for well known brands like Samsung before.

Dodgexander

It's not a bad idea to spend less at smaller sizes, because there are no great TVs sold smaller than 48" nowadays anyway.

I believe Freeview play devices make you tune channels using the built-in tuner or you can't use them.

You may be better off with a device without Freeview play like Samsung models. If you are wanting a VA type panel the Samsung AU9000 is the only 2021 model guaranteed to come with one.

Android models you can sideload apps, or maybe download individual apps to get around the Freeview play limitation.

Netflix/Prime video are on every TV now, Samsung models do a better job with prime due to HDR10+ support, but they won't be great for Netflix since they lack Dolby Vision HDR. You can argue that no TV this small will be good for using HDR anyway, since none have high peak brightness or local dimming.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom