Votes: 5 5.1%
  • 5pm

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Later

Votes: 8 8.2%

• Total voters

maxwell

Distinguished Member
Just wondering what time everyone has it, when I was growing up it was always served after the Queens speech so around the 3pm mark is my traditional time, however when my wife was growing up her family decided that 5pm was the correct time so to keep the peace thats what time we have it now, although it still doesn't feel right for me.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Christmas Day is a like a big day-long feast for us.

Kippers/bacon sarnies/bucks fizz for breakfast.

Pâté selection for 'starters', usually in a lull in the cooking where I'm not doing anything for 20-30 minutes, so often an hour before the main course.

Main course (beef this year).

Christmas pud - we eat this if/when we've room after the main course. Often several hours later.

Cheese & port. We regularly never get thus far. If we do it's very late on.

Steve W

AdrianMills

Over here in Norway, Christmas traditionally starts late afternoon on the 24th (yes, Christmas Eve). So people have Christmas dinner around 17:00 (5pm for all you luddites :D ) then after that, presents are opened. On Christmas day, there is a big Christmas breakfast.

Traditional Christmas dinner varies depending on where you live in Norway but most people have either "Ribbe" and "Julepølser" with "Surkål" (roasted pork ribs and Christmas sausage with sauerkraut) or they have "Pinnekjøtt" and "kålrotstappe" (dried/cured lamb or mutton chops that are steamed served with mashed swede).

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
Used to be around 3pm when we used to go to my nannans. Now we go to my mums and it's normally around 2pm ish. Normally staving by this time!

Andyh4324

Used to be around 3pm when we used to go to my nannans. Now we go to my mums and it's normally around 2pm ish. Normally staving by this time!

Me too! Much later than 1.30ish and I may be found sat infront of the open fridge eating Boxing days food!

sniffer66

Distinguished Member
Does anyone still go to the pub on Christmas day ? My ex's family all used to and that meant Dinner didnt get started until at least 3-4pm. My family dont really drink so the pub was never even considered

kav

Distinguished Member
3pm ish for us. Kids will have been snacking all day anyway so they won't be hungry.

Does anyone still go to the pub on Christmas day ? My ex's family all used to and that meant Dinner didnt get started until at least 3-4pm. My family dont really drink so the pub was never even considered

I drink, but I've always found the pub thing on Christmas day bizarre.

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
We have substantial nibbles - homemade sausage rolls, smoked salmon on bilinies,melon & parmaham and lots of other canapés - with a glass of champagne at about noon, then go out for a walk and come back in time to get potatoes in oven to eat at about 4pm. Eating later means I get to walk in daylight and the nibbles stop everyone from getting too hungry

sniffer66

Distinguished Member
We have substantial nibbles - homemade sausage rolls, smoked salmon on bilinies,melon & parmaham and lots of other canapés - with a glass of champagne at about noon, then go out for a walk and come back in time to get potatoes in oven to eat at about 4pm. Eating later means I get to walk in daylight and the nibbles stop everyone from getting too hungry

Sounds like a good way to do it - like the idea of the canapes :thumbsup:

fizl

About 3 pm, but not an exact time.

maxwell

Distinguished Member
I think the pub was the cause of the 3pm traditional time as years ago when reputable women didnt frequent the pub the men used to go for a pint and as the pub shut at 2 due to the licensing laws this gave them time to get home for dinner at 3

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
no set time, but usually after 1pm so anything between then and 5.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
I drink, but I've always found the pub thing on Christmas day bizarre.

why? it doesnt necessarily have to mean a family only occasion.A few jars down the boozer with ones mates helps to get one in the right mood, not that I'll be doing that

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
sniffer66 said:

My grandparents and later my aunt were publicans. So we never had Christmas lunch with them; they used to join us for a late supper. My brother in law is now a publican but his pub does Christmas lunch. We don't see him over Christmas at all, he his either working or sleeping!

kav

Distinguished Member
why? it doesnt necessarily have to mean a family only occasion.A few jars down the boozer with ones mates helps to get one in the right mood, not that I'll be doing that

A couple of reasons. In Ireland Christmas day is one of only two days in the year where pubs are shut, so it was never there for me as an option - it always seemed strange to us to see everyone in the English soaps spending Christmas day in the pub...just like they do every other day of the year.

Also, even though it's been available for me in Scotland for many years, my view is that it's a day to be spent with family, not getting sloshed with mates. As I said, you can do that any other day of the year.

Each to their own of course - was just saying that in my view, it's something I find unappealing and to me it wouldn't feel right to be sitting drinking in the pub on Christmas day while my wife and children are at home.

mjn

Distinguished Member
12 noon.

StevePSIV

Distinguished Member
Normally get to my parents around 10am for some champagne breakfast. Then all the boys (me, my dad, my sisters fella) pop down the pub for a festive drink. We normally walk there in our ridiculous slippers that we've just recieved for Christmas! This gets us out of the way so my Mum can finish up in the kitchen.

We're only there for an hour tops before getting back home and opening some presents! Then dinner is normally around 3pm.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
A couple of reasons. In Ireland Christmas day is one of only two days in the year where pubs are shut, so it was never there for me as an option - it always seemed strange to us to see everyone in the English soaps spending Christmas day in the pub...just like they do every other day of the year.
well most pubs used close here as well too and many still do but if the clientele is there then i can see why they might want to stay open
Also, even though it's been available for me in Scotland for many years, my view is that it's a day to be spent with family, not getting sloshed with mates. As I said, you can do that any other day of the year.

Each to their own of course - was just saying that in my view, it's something I find unappealing and to me it wouldn't feel right to be sitting drinking in the pub on Christmas day while my wife and children are at home.

each to their own of course but some people just arent very close to their families or havent got one to speak of . As it happens we are having friends round as we do every year whilst our family get together will be sometime in the new year when it suits us all.
Personally i like to see a bit of life outside my house so people going to pubs for a bit of revelry just seems right

p9ul

Distinguished Member
Usually have time for two. My mum has always made it at a usual dinnertime of about 12-1pm, but with the mother-in-law being a vicar she has services to do all morning so the second dinner isn't until 6ish normally.

Power cuts one year meant we had it about 10.30pm...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage