What thickness of speaker cable?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by giggsy1950, Feb 7, 2009.

1. giggsy1950

giggsy1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hello ladies and gents.
    I am looking to get some speaker cable to go with either my Onkyo 876 or Yamaha 863 (to be bought within next 4 weeks) and to be hooked up to my Quad Lites (currently in box). I am looking at Van Damme Studio Grade Blue Series cable, but am unsure as to the size to go for. I need 3-4m for each front speaker and 10m for each rear speaker. I'm thinking the 2x2.5mm all round, maybe even 2x4.0mm for the front and 2x1.5mm for the rears. Can anyone advise me on the best combination for my equipment? Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

2. ben.bayliss

ben.bayliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Contrary to what most people do, it's more important that the longer runs get thicker cable to reduce the resistace / power loss of the long run. So I'd definitely suggest you don't go down the 4mm/1.5mm route.

Just use 2.5mm all around. Buy 40-50m on a reel and cut the lengths up to measure yourself at home.

3. deckingman

deckingman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    What Ben said - 2.5 all round.

4. giggsy1950

giggsy1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for the responses guys. Would I benfefit from using 4mm for the fronts and 2.5mm for the rears do you think?

5. ben.bayliss

ben.bayliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    In a word, no.

6. giggsy1950

giggsy1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ha, I admire the abruptness of the answer - instills confidence in the knowledge of the person responding! I'm glad - should save me a few pennies!
    Final question then before I drive you mad - I'm on the Clearly-AV site at the mo and there are 2 types of Van Damme cable. There is Van Damme 2x2.5mm UP LCOFC Hi-Fi Speaker Cable and Van Damme 2x2.5mm UPOFC Studio Grade Blue Series Speaker Cable. The blue is a little cheaper than the other at the 2.5mm size (£1.80 against £2.10), but the blue is slightly more expensive at the 4.0mm size (£3.10 against £3.00). Do you know if there is much difference between the two? (tried looking at the make up of the strands, but that confused me). I gather lots of people in the forum use the blue, but is the other worth investigating or is it a relative unknown? Thanks.

7. ben.bayliss

ben.bayliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Van Damme's product pages for those two are:

Blue Series
    HiFi Series

My personal opinion is that 2.5mm of copper is 2.5mm of copper. Choose whichever you think will look better / route better more easily in your room. They'll sound identical.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  8. deckingman

deckingman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Or if you prefer it in white or flat which may be easier to run under carpets, there is the Profigold 2.5 mm at £1.90/metre.

9. giggsy1950

giggsy1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Not sure about the PROFIGOLD as it has a solid core inside the strands which may make it difficult to bend around corners (got a few to go round!).
    I was going to go with the Van Damme Blue originally as so many people on here like it, but it would be too difficult to hide along the skirting board without using capping. Then I was going to go with the Ixos 233, but at 1.7mm2 I don't think this would be enough. So, after all that, in the name of consistency and for my own happiness (!) I have decided to go with the Van Damme 2x2.5mm UP LCOFC Hi-Fi Speaker Cable (clear sheath with copper) as opposed to the Van Damme Blue. Thanks for all your input people. Would Joe be able to do a price on this as well do you think or is it only the blue and black he looks after?:thumbsup: