1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the latest though on the Panny TX32PH40

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Rookies, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    I am posting on a behalf of a friend who does not have internet access. He is a panasonic fan and he is very interested in the panny TX32PH40.

I told him what I seen on here but he wonder what the latest out come.

He wont be tempted to anything else unless he is proven that this set is abslute rubbish. But he really wants this set but like to know what the current comments are.

He will be watching Sky Digital on it no standard RF.
    Football (he says he can switch between 3 mode and one of them should be good for sports) dunno if that true.
    And lots of DVDs. he got a progressive scan dvd player

Hope you can settle his mind for me :smoke:

2. Fouldsie

Fouldsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion it's probably the best looking 32" 100hz set on the market. Therefore a few weeks ago I had one delivered from my local store.

The looks of the set are one thing but the picture is something else - absolute RUBBISH. It took me just 24 hours from having the set installed to getting the engineer out to look at it. It was then just three more days to get it taken away. I never want to see it again.

I've now got the Phillips 9527. The set doesn't look anyway near as good but the picture is a vast improvement. Saying that though, is your friend convinced he wants 100hz? I ask because I'm having this set taken back in exchange for a panny PL1 which is good old 50hz.

Have a look at the thread comparing 100hz to 50hz and you'll see that you either love it or hate it - I hate it. 100 hz can give fantastic results but if it doesn't (which is most of the time) it gives blocking, halos and blurred images.

For a great statement in your living room the 32PH40 is stunning as for the picture - forget it.

3. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Thanks for that feedback.

Yes he seem to want to have 100hz tv or one that dont flicker as his current set flickers and he got those eyes that can easy spot it. I will forward that feedback onto him.

Anymore of you out there light to comment on this for him.

4. fuzzy

fuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    analogue pic via rf not good on this set :(

dvd pic excellent :)

digibox pic via rgb (assuming good bit rate) excellent:)

60hz pal input on pal gcube ....stunning... IMO:D

i have not tried a ntsc or pal prog dvd player yet. I'm not a football fan but some transmissions I have seen do look as though the players are wearing woolly jumpers and some don't look too bad. If that was the main reason why you wanted to buy the set I would look elsewhere

5. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    My friend said there is a option to turn off some digital processing on this set ie turn it to 50 hz or what ever he says there are 3 modes in the menu.

It him that after this tv not me. I am doing all this for him as I am a good friend :)

6. fuzzy

fuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on the menu u can select auto, 100hz, progressive... auto selects between 100 and prog according to the signal received. so it only really has 2 modes. i watch it using progressive selected as this eliminates any scan lines and makes it more cinematic.. it does produce a very slight flickering effect in prog mode though that does not bother me.

7. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Does it flicker when in 100hz mode. Also my mate siad there is a option to turn flicker on or off is that correct?

Anyway any more comments from any other users, He is going to decided end of tmr. I told him the most popular ones on this forum but he just does not listen.

8. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The flicker control setting should be set to off because unless you are watching static images it makes the picture smear like crazy also introduces more judder. It does do wonders with the sky menu's and other static stuff but thats it.

9. BillyNomez

BillyNomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had a TX32PH40 for several months now and still pleased with it, see other threads posted earlier for info but to recap...

Looks very good
    Good overall sound
    User friendly with useful picture enhancements
    Good pic here thro, RF - strong signal area
    Excellent pic from DVD either scart or component cables !
    Good pic from STB

but..not the the TV for sports like footy, cricket. Some colour bleed and slight blurring of images despite the tweaks am sure you cant go to 50HZ mode, you are just adjusting the 100HZ digital signal with flicker/scan mode options.

It does what I want it to do and the family are v. happy with it but is it the TV for purists, sadly no. There are better digital pics out there and footy looks better on my TOSH 21" 50HZ set but we had to jump on the bandwagon somewhere..

good luck BRBN

10. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Thanks for the feedbacks. My mate just read them all and still unsure :( The nowhere round here got one connected up with sky to see what it like. He say he maybe able to live with a bit of down side on football as long as it great for DVDs and Sky digital for normal programs. He also asking is there any grain and blocking on this tv set but he think there will be like there is on many digital tv as it down to sky digital bit stream.

Anyone know of any online reviews on this set?

11. regis

regis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rookies,

I saw that set in a shop one month ago. It was playing "the mummy returns". I was totally disappointed. I was expecting a nice image and didn't see anything spectacular (even with progressive turned on). The Philips 32PW9525 had a better image and it is 20% cheaper.

If you are too close from the set, you'll see that they are bars on the screen. This is really unpleasant.

In summary, I was expecting to fall in love with this set (on paper, it is really appealing) ... I am now sure I will not pay that price for that quality.

Just my 0.02,

RégiS.