What the......it's a 30 mph limit.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gibbsy, Apr 17, 2016.

1. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,067
    Was there something in the spring air. Where all the idiots out on the road on a sunny spring Sunday. Three shunts, in three hours, in three hundred yards. Shunt 1. Head on, car overtakes another pulling into a petrol station. Three fire engines, two ambulances, plenty of police vehicles. Road closed for an hour.

Shunt 2. Ford Focus decides to rear end a parked car and lands up on it's roof. The fire engines are back. Road closed again.

Shunt 3. Which to me was the worse, well the wife was driving home from the pub and I was busting for a wee wee (I am within weeks of being 65, so some sympathy please). VW Golf ploughs into the back of a Seat Leon which had stopped for a red light. Policeman with a breath test, Golf driver not looking too confident.

Good news is I got home without my postrate giving up the ghost. Please can we have a speed camera.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  2. balidey

balidey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    Carry a bottle next time, you never know how long the road could be closed for.
    I told my wife I need a wide necked bottle. Not sure what made her laugh.

3. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,933
    Saw the aftermath of a nasty one today. Luckily, police and brigade got there a few mins before me.
    Car on it's roof in a ditch.. wide flat road...

4. Ste7en

Ste7en
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,349
    We were behind a car this morning which had to swerve into the oncoming lane as someone pulled half way out of a T junction before stopping. Then some clowns were wheel spinning at a junction a little further along the same road.

Funniest one was last week. My dad and I were coming out of a boot sale car park and some Irish clown threatened to ram us if we didn't let him out. We laughed and I asked him "Well, what do you reckon?" My dad just shook his head and waved him out. The clown was too busy shouting, rolling back and running up at us to hear. In the end I shouted at him "Are you deaf? He as already said go!" He sheepishly pulled out and started to be all chatty with us.

The roads are full of pricks.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,097
    I think I know that Irish clown you're talking about...
    image.jpeg
    :p

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. snaithg

snaithg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    I thought that you said that you were "Busting for a wee wee" not a "@?~!*%" :rotfl:

Graham.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,703
    Wait till you get to over ~50, then you'll probably understand :)

Unless you are, in which case :facepalm:

8. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,983
    isn't there an urban myth(?) which states you can legally wee on your front passenger car wheel or something?

car has to be stationary tho... :D

9. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    And it's getting worse due to a complete lack of any police presence.
    Relying on people to observe laws voluntarily only works so far.

10. PsyVision

PsyVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    I saw a kid doing that on the rear wheel of a van in a motorway service station car park once. I thought he was doing it on someone else's van until his Dad got out the front and told him to hurry up. The short stroll to the toilets inside was obviously too much.

11. markgodley

markgodley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,415
    Shame us people with dash cams can't submit footage to the police... maybe we could even take a 50% cut of the fine... ;)

If that was the case i'd probably earn about £200 a week from the morons i come across on my commute.

12. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    They'd get flooded with stuff if that was allowed, as people get het up about the littlest thing.
    Cameras are a good point though, as it is used as back up in serious offences.
    You call the police with a proper complaint, you tell them you have footage as well.
    They view the footage, they decide whether they want/need it as part of the complaint.
    There was an example of this procedure in the driving forum a few weeks back.

13. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,983
    yes, just look on youtube... some cyclists would have a field day haha

14. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Like one particular 'vigilante' cyclist we have in Aberdeen.
    Spends more time looking in stationary cars in traffic in the desperate hope someone is looking at their mobile (in stationary traffic.....the utter Nazis) than he does looking ahead.
    I'm all for him using his footage for more serious stuff though.
    Sadly, he's gone down the 'picky' route.

15. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    Indeed, many forces have massively slashed their roads policing spending since the budget cuts. It's not seen as such a high priority, so money is diverted to other departments. There is very little proactive and preventive roads policing in many areas, and what there is seems like a token effort.

I despair as the number of people I seen on their phone at 60mph+ on my way to work and I can really understand the frustration of many people. Buts it's far too easy to spot a marked police car and drop the phone before a police officer is close enough to be see it. Also, due to smart phones people more and more don't hold it to their ear in conversation, but use it in their lap. I constantly see people driving and staring at their knee. Their eyes are on the road even less.

I speak personally, not for the police as a whole. The roads policing units I know work very hard. Until the government put the money in this is where we are. That said people will never be fully satisfied. People will always see things the police don't, even if they increased the number of traffic officers by 100 times. It's never been possible investigate every traffic infraction.

As for dash cam footage, it will be looked at and can be used. But it's not as simple as people think, things can look bad on video, but securing a conviction can be difficult in court if that's all there is. And for many offences they need to be witnessed by a Constable in uniform, stopped and reported at the time. But call 101 and report it and offer the video by all means. And if it's related to something they are already investigating, like a serious RTC, they will always really want it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  16. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Oh god, that drives me mad.
    If I'm following someone doing that, usually someone young who cannot bear missing out on a text for 5 minutes, I'll lean on the horn until they look in their rear view mirror and give them the 'eyes front' signal.
    To be fair, they tend to just do it and don't give me the bird back.
    Maybe I look like an off duty copper....or maybe it's the axe......(KIDDING!!)

17. Inferno

Inferno
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,077
    Now I must be being thick here but can you explain this to me like, I'm over 50 for buggering hells sake, and I dinnae ken?!?!

18. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,703
    That having an enlarged prostate can mean that when you are bursting to go for a pee the pressure build up behind the prostate is quite large. Hence he was relieved (pun :)) to get home without it bursting :) Or is it that you didn't realise postrate was a typo ?

19. Inferno

Inferno
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,077
    Didn't notice the spell error tbh, I speed read most of the time and miss bits ha ha, it was the you'll understand if you were over 50 bit and as I am I didn't get it as I do not (thankfully) have that particular problem and I don't want it either ever, was busy yelling at my kids 6 & 3 yes at my age must need my head examining.

You want to see the saddo's bombing it up and down my street it beggars belief sometimes look at what the last idiot did!

20mph speed limit past here and the bend is say 200 feet away was doing 70+ past and couldn't do the bend!!!

[​IMG]

20. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,703
    Both my father and F-I-L had prostate cancer so I'm probably more aware of the symptoms of an enlarged prostate than many people of our age.

21. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,703
    or: taken from "how to avoid road rage":
    Avoid confrontation. If an angry driver honks their horn, yells at you or shares a rude gesture out his or her window, don't make eye contact or yell back. Keep your eyes on the road and ignore the angry driver. Fighting and driving angry is dangerous to both of you as well as the other drivers and will only cause the situation to escalate.

22. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,674
    I was driving recently through Salisbury, in stop/ start traffic. The young girl (18-19) behind me spent more time looking at her phone than the road. When the light went red, I hopped out, and walked back to her car. I tapped gently on the window, and she jumped, as I'd managed to stop my car, apply the handbrake, remove my seatbelt, open my door, and walk back to her car, and she was still dicking about with her phone.
    I asked her to wind down the window an inch, and then told her that if she drives into the back of me because she's staring at her phone instead of where her eyes should be, I'll call the police, and ask them to look at her phone. I also pointed out that she'd just nearly mown down a cyclist (he'd been giving her abuse when she pulled away without checking her mirrors). She replied 'What cyclist?', to which I shrugged my shoulders and returned to my vehicle...

When I was a kid, tearing around like a little [email protected], I used to pray for less plod on the roads. Now that I'm older (wiser?) I agree with @FZR400RRSP. We need more.

Edit; before anyone asks - yes, if it was a burly builder instead of a girl, I would have done the same thing. This girl seriously had her eyes 80% on her phone 20% on the road, and that's generous.

23. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,242
    Your prostate can be enlarged without being cancerous due to age as you have alluded to so as not to scare folk. Mine is enlarged but not cancerous and I get up at least once in the night usually twice. 2nd one is invariably around 5:45 so I end up staying up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  24. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,703
    Of course. More than 20 years ago my parents and in laws used to banter about old man prostate problems. Then my F-I-L was diagnosed with cancer, and my M-I-L nagged my Dad to get checked out as well. My F-I-L was too late for treatment, and died in 1995. My Dad is still alive and well probably because my M-I-L nagged him to get checked out.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  25. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +971
    Every single time it rains here (Jersey) there's multiple crashes and at least one car which ends up on it's roof. Max speed here is 40, most areas 20 or 30. A couple of days ago it was slight drizzle but: Drivers warned to take care in wet weather after car overturns « Jersey Evening Post

If you see someone driving alongside you in the UK with J plates and it's a bit wet, take care. Christ knows what they do when they get on a motorway.

26. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,242
    As a firefighter I have noticed more and more cars on their roof. I believe this is due to a combination of them being lighter and having a higher centre of gravity.

27. Enki

Enki
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    I'm convinced the standard of driving in the last couple months has dropped, the amount of hedge parker's I've see in my very rural ward recently. More seriously we are at number 6 car fatality already this year, beating all previous data collections and now the motor bike season is upon the ward.

28. wongataa

wongataa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    I think it is really down to more people driving like idiots. It takes a bit of effort to put a car on its roof and you definitely aren't driving sensibly if you manage it on your own.

29. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Knowing they've done wrong or trying to avoid confrontation, what does it matter?
    As long as they're aware someone has seen them staring at their phone and they pack it in, couldn't care less.

30. Inferno

Inferno
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,077
    Driving whilst texting is on one of the things that winds me right up as well, I saw some beggar texting whilst smoking a fag with a kid in the back a few weeks ago, it's just ridiculous that there is not enough police officers around to make much of a difference and the law is not harsh enough to act as a real deterrent.