What the !&$*% is this ?

So when using the 6-channel input does it just function as a power amp?

MuFu.

it appears to be just an amp, I'll give it a whirl in 6 channel mode tonight if I can be bothered to dewire my Pioneer receiver.
This is whats inside.

Attachments

• inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 307
Originally posted by 50/50
i might be wrong, but that looks like a normal 2ch amp....:confused:

Not with ten output transistors on that heatsink. Might be a push-pull config for the five channels.

Mike.

I wired up the 5.1 output from my dvd player and the Alchemist faithfully reproduced the 5 channels with a generous amount of volume on tap and my active sub happily fired up. Overall the sound was lots better than I expected for an amp selling for <£70. Basically if you hook up a suitable DVD player (6ch out) and a set of speakers, you get a more than adequate surround experience for your money. Don’t just take my word for it though, give it a listen. I think it looks quite cool as well.;)

:) i just bought one of these with a budget centre and rears and i am using it on my pc to great effect.....

However im a little confused the DSP function seems to do nothing? what is that for, also the advert stated prologic.. however i cant see how it is.. as you cant activate prologic decoding anyhow.. is this just an error... im not bothered about this although it would have been nice

:smashin: glad to see someone else has bought one of these, for the money it's a bargain. I think the pro logic reference on the RS site is an error, I haven't tried the DSP function as artificially enhanced sound doesn't work for me normally. :)

Mylo

yep it works well i watched signs on my pc last night and it was cool.. i tried playing some mountain on about 65(70 max setting i think?) and the amp was struggling a litte with my rogers mains... i doubt the 100watt claimed rms power.. as my sony has 40 and sounds much louder and fuller... but all in all a cool amp for the price

So in Laymans terms..

The DVD does all the decoding and the amp simply powers the speakers and thats it?

Think thats right..

So I assume amps that provide power as the one above would be cheaper and thats where the bonus of on-board DVD decoding comes in?

If i was to buy one of these do you think it would provide any problems if i upgrade to sky? ie no 5.1 from the sky box as the only thing thats decoding is the DVD

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom