What the hell is this TV, and is it any good?

DrPhil

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Sorry if it's a stupid question or in the wrong place...

I'm in the market for a new 60" TV. Was hoping for something decent to show in up the January sales but as yet no luck. I had a check through Argos and found this one.

Buy Bush 55 Inch Full HD 1080p Freeview LCD TV at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Televisions.

Question is, am I blind or is there no model number listed? Is there any way to find out? And is it worth the saving or are Bush LCDs any good? Hard to check for reviews without knowing the model.

My target was the Samsung plasma in Currys for £899 but there were no reductions. This Bush would be £350 cheaper although it's 5 inches smaller. Just weighing up whether it's worth it or not.

Last edited:
No name Argos special. They never give model numbers for some unknown reason
Ebuyer had a basic no name 55" led for £400 if looking cheap
Screen uniformity and blur will be the biggest issues on cheap big screen LCD and I'd include a sub £1000 60" Samsung in that

Screen uniformity and blur will be the biggest issues on cheap big screen LCD and I'd include a sub £1000 60" Samsung in that

The £899 Samsung I'm looking at is a plasma.

Better sticking to plasma at that size?

Depends what you want in a TV

First of all what's your budget and preferred size?

then do you need the interactive nonsense?

then do you like bright vibrant picture or a duller more natural look?

Depends what you want in a TV

First of all what's your budget and preferred size?

then do you need the interactive nonsense?

then do you like bright vibrant picture or a duller more natural look?

Preferred size is probably 60" but I don't mind 55". It's to replace a 50" plasma so either will be a bonus. Don't give a hoot about the interactive jazz. Only requirements are 2 HDMI inputs!

Absolute max budget is £900. If I have to go all the way to that limit then I'll wait a few more months as the 50" plasma is still watchable for now. If I can find something suitable for around £800 then I might splash the cash now.

As for the bright vibrant picture vs duller more natural, I'm not sure. I have a 40" LCD and a 50" plasma and I wouldn't particularly say I prefer one over the other.

The LG 60PA650T is £800 here. £100 cheaper than the Samsung and I've read a few reviews that rate it better than the Sammy. The only reason I was leaning towards the Samsung was that I have a 40" Samsung LCD that is 7 years old and as good as the day it was switched on, whereas the 50" LG plasma in the living room has shat itself after only about 3 years. Sadly I haven't a clue where the receipt is so I can't pursue a SOGA repair.

Preferred size is probably 60" but I don't mind 55". It's to replace a 50" plasma so either will be a bonus. Don't give a hoot about the interactive jazz. Only requirements are 2 HDMI inputs!

Absolute max budget is £900. If I have to go all the way to that limit then I'll wait a few more months as the 50" plasma is still watchable for now. If I can find something suitable for around £800 then I might splash the cash now.

As for the bright vibrant picture vs duller more natural, I'm not sure. I have a 40" LCD and a 50" plasma and I wouldn't particularly say I prefer one over the other.

The LG 60PA650T is £800 here. £100 cheaper than the Samsung and I've read a few reviews that rate it better than the Sammy. The only reason I was leaning towards the Samsung was that I have a 40" Samsung LCD that is 7 years old and as good as the day it was switched on, whereas the 50" LG plasma in the living room has shat itself after only about 3 years. Sadly I haven't a clue where the receipt is so I can't pursue a SOGA repair.

Shat itself :rotfl:

Don't you have an old bank or CC statement showing the sale? You should be able to get hold of one.

If you want a 55 or 60 for £900 then you'll be going mid range and will probably get a few issues with whatever you buy, even the top end models aren't perfect. I'd look at a 5 or 6 series Samsung in both the plasma and LED, see if you can grab a bargain

I'm confused, you said it is an LCD in your first post :confused: Which model is it?

I'm confused, you said it is an LCD in your first post :confused: Which model is it?

Apologies, nearing the end of a double shift, I've been working since midnight last night...

It's the Samsung PS60E530 plasma. I was leaning towards the Samsung rather than the LG 60PA650T because there was only £20 difference in Currys. But after finding the LG for £100 less online I'm inclined to give LG a second chance, and keep the receipt safe this time...

I mentioned that in another thread comparing it to the Samsung plasma and was told that plasma is the better option at that size.

Or is that a matter of opinion like plasma vs LCD all over again?

It's difficult and varies from model to model, mid range LEDs you'll probably get some clouding, torchlighting and motion issues. Plasma, you'll get buzzing and IR plus both sides may have banding.

Get into currys or another store and have a mess about with a few to see what you like best, take some HD stuff on a flashdrive too

Hmmm, tempting. And £899 including the JL warranty is also tempting.

I know the wife would approve too, despite being technologically challenged she has decided that because the TV that died/is dying was an LG Plasma, then all LGs and all plasmas are crap.

And LEDs do look very nice in the Currys display (that I'll be heading to see after work).

Now for the sheer pig headed impatient question...

Is the 5 year JL warranty worth it, considering that SOGA gives 6 years protection anyway?

JL will take well over a week to deliver to N Ireland, but Argos have the same TV for the same price, but minus the warranty.

Edit, cancel that. Can't collect from Argos, have to take delivery too and it's 5 working days.

Last edited:
Now for the sheer pig headed impatient question...

Is the 5 year JL warranty worth it, considering that SOGA gives 6 years protection anyway?

JL will take well over a week to deliver to N Ireland, but Argos have the same TV for the same price, but minus the warranty.

Edit, cancel that. Can't collect from Argos, have to take delivery too and it's 5 working days.

You'd have a battle trying to get retailers to comply with the SOGA after a few years, it's just hassle, a 5yr warranty for nothing is so much easier. I got £500 back and a free 5yr warranty from JL when I bought my TV :smashin:

They list the model no. in the Questions & Answers section, it's LC-55G77A. I was considering getting one myself, can't find another 55" display anywhere near this price.

Edit: assuming it's this one: Buy Bush 55 Inch Full HD 1080p LED TV at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Televisions, Televisions and accessories, All Technology clearance. - link in first post no longer works.

Edit2: just noticed the link in the OP is titled "LCD TV" (presumably, a display that uses an old style CCFL backlight) whereas this is described by Argos as an "LED TV".

Edit3: ^ amended the edit above to appease the anal

Last edited:
LED is an LCD, with LEDs round the edges for the backlight

@FlimsyFeet you would definitely benefit from some reading up.
LED televisions - information about this fantastic, radically new technology | AVForums
An earlier post suggested LCD= bright and vibrant whereas plasma = dull and more natural. This paints LCD in a more positive light than plasma. Bright and vibrant, however, does not mean better.
The Picture Perfect series of videos will tell you all about that.
As always, if you want the best picture quality, unless the TV will be in a bright room, get plasma.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom