what the hell is an amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Baz80, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Baz80

Baz80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    okay so first off i'm not too bright and until i started reading these threads i thought i was a pseudo techno geek but now i think i need an amp although to be fair i don't actually know what an amp is and there's no idiots guide on this thread.

i have a pioneer 436 with only 1 hdmi connection which i love and a 360 (component) and sky hd (through the hdmi) and a reasonable home cinema dvd player through rgb scart all fine and dandy but i've recently thought of upgrading the dvd to hd either bd or hd dvd but needed another hdmi.

i initially looked at a simple 3 hdmi switcher then one of the other guys suggested this forum and then my brain melted i have a budget of about a grand if absolutely neccessary but am happy to go into debt if required i would like to know why or if i need an amp and what exactly do they do

told you i wasn't too bright

2. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,831
    You thought you were a pseudo techno geek but don't know what an amp is? :confused:

An amp is an amplifier - but I guess you DO know that as you posted in the right forum! You were suggested the forum, was this back in 2004, and you still don't know what an amp is?

Sorry, I'm tired - this just doesn't make sense to me lol....

Most "amps" on here are AV Recievers - these are audio amplifiers (that you connect speakers to, to get sound from a device such as a DVD player, Freeview/Sat/TV box, PS2/3, etc etc) that will do Surround Sound (generally Dolby Digital + DTS 5.1, tho there are 6.1 and 7.1 amps on the market) They also "pass through" and "switch" video signals aswell. So you can plug in the audio and video signals from your DVD player to the amp, along with a freeview/sat/tv/cable box audio and video, audio and video from a PS2/3, xbox etc and use the amp to switch both the audio and the video source. Benefit is you only need one video lead (depends on amp, you might need a few different types) running from the amp to the TV.

Read this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV_receiver

3. Baz80

Baz80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks i told you i wasnt that bright and i do appreciate its late but having read the wikepedia thing and understood most/some of it richer sounds are doing a sony sp300 blu ray player and a onkyo txrs875 and a set of tannoy arena light speakers for £1799 which sounds pretty good do you think this would be a good set up for a numpty ie reasonably future proof and staightforward

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Sounds good to me but I would either hold off on the bluray purchase or get a PS3 as at least it's upgradable. New profile bluray players should be out later this year.

5. Baz80

Baz80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    what! blu ray changes from year to year are these software or hard ware changes thanks by the way

6. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Get yourself over to the bluray players forum. The bluray profile saga is still being finalised. The profiles apply to various new features that the HD manufactuters 'think' we need. I'm happy just watching the film. All current bluray players will play the film, just not some of the features on the disc like p-in-p etc. The firmware on the PS3 can be upgraded, hence why it would be the only current bluray player I would bother with.

Here is a recent article that reviews some of the current crop of players and explains a little bit about the profile issue.

7. Baz80

Baz80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    top man, christ im a total noob

8. sp_harris

sp_harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Think about the items you want to plug into the amp now and in the near future - that should help define the amp and the connections you want/need.

Then think about some of the other features and if you want/need them, such as pre-outs (to use a stereo as well at the same time), 5.1 analogue inputs (for SACD or from HD Player), bi-amp ability (to send 2 connections to each front speaker if you have speakers that allow it), 5.1 or 7.1, No. of HDMI inputs, Sound over HDMI (for HD sound Blu-ray and HD DVD), up-scaling (making an SD picture look better), up-conversion (all video inputs output through 1 HDMI lead to TV), DAB radio (this is rare to find), Network ability (play mp3's from a PC over a network or wireless), no. of HDMI outputs, etc... This should help you set a budget and find a short list of models. Then you need to get to a dealer/shop and have a listen to a few and see which you like and how much you need to spend to get what you want.

Lots of info I know, but there are lots of amps so lots of choice.

When I was looking I found this site helpful, have a look at the amps features and maybe speaker packages:

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/0_HCAMPS.htm

9. Baz80

Baz80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks SP very helpful creative audio have loads of wallet emptying goodies and there are a couple im seriously considering which asks another question my pioneer 436 sxe is two years old and these new amps all feature hdmi 1.3 im not sure what my tv has
    if its not 1.3 does that matter and am i missing out on something or should i wait until i upgrade to a new pioneer with 1.3 before i invest in a new amp (mind you getting that past missus could be tricky)

10. sp_harris

sp_harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    No - I don't think HDMI 1.3 makes much of a difference. From memory it allows more colours to be sent to TV and a few other minor bits. I would change your TV just because of 1.3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#HDMI_1.3