1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what the hell is ambi light and what does it do?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SILVERBACK, May 29, 2005.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    justs seen the advert for the philips plasma and it just looks like they have just slapped some chavtastic neons on the back of the set and it changes colour :suicide: but what does it actually do does anyone know? or is that it.

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    if you view a set in a room with no lights you get eye strain,the idea of the neons is to just lift the lighting enough to give the same effect of a darkened room but to prevent eye strain.. :eek: CHAVVY THEY ARE NOT.and as the name suggests they are to create ambience, so when you get that chavvy bird home to watch whatever you can create a mood

3. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    silvberabck

I was in Istanbul mate and it rocked for 5 days solid. Watche dthe match at home today on my 50" and it was amazingly like being there.

dil

4. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    yea you know how in TV manuals and game manuals it tells you to watch in a "well lit room" this is so your pupils dont dialate and you absorb less light from the TV, but when your pupils have dialated they absorb alot more light and can strain your eyes, tv manufacturs know you want your lights off but they also want to protect your eyes and add something else to the mix. pity it wont be on other sets tho as its a good idea

5. Woolybully

Woolybully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Do what I did Months ago,put a small lamp behind your plasma and ..hey-presto ambi-light.Now,did Philips pinch the idea from me?.......mmm.......I wonder.

6. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Yep I have done this as well. A small well placed strip light behind the plamsa and hey presto the same effect as ambi light for a fraction of the cost :thumbsup:

7. Teccy Toker

Teccy Toker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL...Focus are selling 2 strips of colloured lights with a controller for £29.99...I use them for my 'ambilight' behind my plasma :)

8. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When they 'Grade' films for cinema release, with the big contrast range, and I guess dvd's are the same, they do it under cinema viewing conditions which is pretty dark, so we all moan about needing more contrast range to see further into the blacks. Unfortunately Hollywood hasn't yet realised that home viewing conditions are different - but then cinema is where they make their money.

If I use ambient lighting gizmos, does this mean I waste my money buying more contrast range on a plasma, or are we talking mainly material produced for TV?

9. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    do you have this colour phasing light from focus and if so how did u mount it???and how does it phase, do they mean dims and brightens

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    have you got a link mate?....found it..can you plug them in or do they need to be wired in?

11. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0