What the hell happened to ebay?? (now fleabay)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Broxi1979, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    It used to be such a great way to find a good little bargain, something you wanted for much less money than you would pay in a shop.

These days, the site is riddled with scams and jokers who all seem to think they are smarter than the rest of us. This seems to be particularly true of electronic gear, you can't find a proper ad for an xbox 360 without someone telling you how they have 2 which they got free from some website and how they are selling one cheap for quick profit (to pre-approved bidders, of course)

This would be all fine and dandy if it wasn't for the fact the same seller had another 3 identical items for sale at the same time. The icing on the cake of that particular scam is the inclusion of the BBC report on how to get your ipods and xboxes free from the site, of course, it isn't really a bbc site, just a mock-up that's written like it was originally drafted in crayon.

I have no idea why ebay are letting this continue, it will eventually kill one of the most succesful websites on the net.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    unfortunately it just reflects the fact that criminals are a large element of society and something like ebay presents a fantastic opportunity for them.
    Personally, although I have used it in the past I wouldn't go near it these days. As I understand it honest traders regularly have their accounts hijacked so you have no idea who the hell you are trading with and in the event of a scam ebay/paypal seem next to useless.

3. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are still some good things there but the more I read about people who've been hit by scams / non-payment / non-delivery etc the less I'm inclined to use it. I've sold a couple of expensive items on it (my motorbike being one) but I've gone for cash on collection for those sort of things.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,764
    I would never sell anything of value, unless it cash on delivery, nor would i buy anything of value, full stop.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    It acn be quite good for unusual hard to find niche items. Mainstream items are normally not worth it as its usualy oversubscribed , too heavily bid on and prone to scam artists. Games consoles and flat screen TVs are usually the biggest frauds.

I'm trying to get a wharfedale freeview box for a friend and the prices of second hand untis are the same or higher than buying the thing new.

6. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    This is the rule of thumb I work by.

Nokia phones seem to be one of the largest scammed items.

7. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Ive done generally ok except when I tried to sell. Wont relate what as its too embarassing. Safe to say I lost out, Nio reserve and no starting bid and few bidders so no surprise. Live and learn as they say. On the buying front only one item I was done over as one bidder kept upping the bid until i jumped in at the end.Now I always set an upper limit .
    My neighbour did very well as he sold a 2cv citroen he bought for £250 for £750 and recently sold a Fiat 500 he bought for 2 grand for over 4.:thumbsup:
    So its not all bad.It is a difficult place to regulate so one is relying on honesty.

8. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Actually you may be getting a bargain but it may be a bit hot. Remember a shedload of Xboxs went walkies recently.
    Someone selling nicked gear has to dream up some dumb excuse. They're not going to say 'got these off me mate real cheap so I'm passing the savings onto you'.

I've been on ebay since 2002 and I had more problems with scammers then than now. I've learnt plenty along the way and sell high valued items without any worries today.

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    I think user 'stupidity' rather than the criminals has ruined Ebay. If people treated it as they do a terrestrial auction, did some research on pricing and value, and stopped to think 'ooh that's a little too good to be true', then it wouldn't have taken the nosedive it has.

As the OP says, it used to be a great place for bargains, now it's cheaper to go to other standard retail online sites, or try other less well known auctions.

I only use it for the odd PC bit, or Vinyl/CD's now.

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,924
    Caveat Emptor really. If its too good to be true then leave it be. I am frequently amazed by people who treat ebay as somehow different from Car Boot Sales and freeads.

This is the other area that is interesting- ebay arguably has the greatest selection of vinyl ever assembled. With a record cleaning machine and some circumspection, it is the be all and end all of material. I think the OP's statement is that many of the areas of ebay have suffered a qualititve decline but other areas (vinyl, bangers and books for me) are peerless.

11. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Your absolutely right, that's the other thing that annoys me. These people are bidding up their own auctions till it's about the same price as new or with delivery included, more expensive.

Why would I pay £15 less than retail for a second hand item with no warranty and run the risk of being scammed out of my hard earned??
    Some people obviously do tho, it seems.

12. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    There's no point in bidding up your own auction unless someone is going to outbid you.
    It's normally because people are prepared to pay that price. Either the thrill of beating someone else in a bid war, they don't know they can get it cheaper or they're simply not fussed.

13. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    I have bough loads of things and sold a few.

Everything from my Naim 135 Mono blocks, top end arm and cartridge, Roksan TT and marantz CD player, through to records, books, cds, art, rock memorabillia (bought a painting by the Meat Puppets bass player), even earplugs. Plenty of bargains to show for it.

Sold everything from a drum set, an Oracle turntable, an RB300 arm.

I have had no problems, but I do my research thoroughly. On the object and on the person buying or selling.

14. A Legal Beagle

A Legal Beagle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I have been a member on ebay since 2001 and out of all the positives I can only think of one occasion i have been scammed (as a buyer)and that was for a 360 at launch.

If i used my commonsense at the time it wouldnt have happened but i got caught up in all the 360 hype :blush:

Ok, people have tried to scam me when selling something on occasion but the obvious thing is: no money = no goods!

However, iam a lot more careful now what a buy and who I buy off. If for example the newbies on ebay are buying ebooks for 1p to get there feedback up and then start selling tv's or consoles, to me they stick out a mile!:rolleyes:

Like someone said earlier in the thread Caveat emptor (Buyer beware) and anyway a lot of items on ebay are not the cheapest on the net.

I tend to look for something on ebay first as to price then go and look somewhere else on the net for price comparisions.