What the hell are E4 playing at?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by DalekbusterTV, Aug 11, 2019.

1. DalekbusterTV

DalekbusterTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    So tonight I turned on my TV at 9pm to find that Marvel's Agents of SHIELD was on at 10:05pm and Celebs Go Dating was on instead!

What the bloody hell are E4 playing at? Agents of SHIELD gets great viewing figures at 9pm, and moving it back by an hour is undoubtedly going to reduce its viewers.

This isn't my only grievance with E4 this year either. They also did the same thing with Gotham Season 5 to make way for Agents of SHIELD. Gotham was originally the 9pm show, and then was pushed back to 10pm. Clearly Gotham should never have been scheduled in the 9pm Sunday slot. They should have kept it in the Tuesday 9pm slot like last year.

And there's still no sign of Krypton, even though that is also a shortened U.S. run and is nearing its final episode of the season across the pond. I would have thought Agents of SHIELD at 9pm followed by Krypton at 10pm would have made more sense. Celebs Go Dating could have been kept back until Agents of SHIELD had finished its run.

This is really getting on my nerves, because it's five past ten again next week when I'm on holiday, it's a two hour finale and even though I usually stay up past midnight my Dad will probably be peeved at me for not getting an earlier night to wake up early for whatever we decide to do the next day.

Why can't they keep things at a consistent time?

2. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    Gotham season 5. No one watched it mate. Although its since become cult viewing. Err, hasn't it?

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,747
    I know Dalekbuster I made sure I was free at 9pm to watch Agents of SHIELD and turned to E4 and got some crappy Z list celebs dating show and though I got the wrong channel. I don't know why that was not on at 10 as it be followed by a similar crappy dating show.

4. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    The OP is under the illusion that C4 gives a cr*p about the viewers of its channels and services. It doesn’t. The commercial imperative is in play, so if one or two (or maybe more) viewers get a bit disgruntled, tough.

Clem

5. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    True that.

6. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,033
    If you can't stay up record it. If you can't record it check to see if they're on 4OD afterwards.

7. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    You watch live TV? How quaint :D

8. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    You watch low-res, ad-infested All4? How desperate must you be?

Clem

9. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    Unfortunately our main commercial channels have always been like this. They are the reason I got into obtaining my viewing material from alternative sources. Specifically one of the greatest shows ever, The Shield.

In 2002 when it was broadcast, way before Sky + etc, I used to tune into Channel 5 every week religiously. Then someone at CH5 decided to play silly beggars with it. Some weeks it was pushed back an hour or 2, then others it was not on at all? No notifications why? Just not on?

This went on every season, and around season 3 I had had it and sought it out in other ways. Never looked back. It's better much now though with all the catch up services we have, and add Netflix & Amazon into that as well. But still not ideal.

Bit of an extra rant now, they also think that everyone wants to watch wall to wall reality Z list 'celebs' shows all the time. I don't, ever.......

10. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    I remember The Shield on C5 — watched every episode. I share your pain in having to use All4 — appallingly bad. As for z-list celeb shows, I fully agree. For some reason, broadcasters are hell bent on ramming ‘yoof’ programming down our throats, never mind what audiences would like to watch, then they’re surprised when likes of Netflix takes an ever larger market slice.

Clem

11. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,033
    Clearly I don't as I used the old name. Having said I'd rather watch that way without a logo/dog. The last time I watched 4OD/All4 it was logo free. Having just had a quick look at E4 not only does it have that awful logo it also has a message about tonight's Celebs Go Dating. I don't watch E4. I was merely suggesting another way to catch the shows to the op.

Bri

12. RiceRocket

RiceRocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,582
    Yes very annoying.
    Only good thing to come out of it was that I recorded the 3am repeat instead which is ad-free :confused::smashin:

13. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,025
    Channel 4 have previous form where this is concerned: anyone remember a show called "Six Feet Under"?

Absolutely spellbinding and unmissable TV - they moved it around the schedule changing the time and day of broadcast from Season to Season, you just never knew when it was on and this was when I just had a VCR and you had to record everything manually.

Yes, you could set a timer, but it wasn't Series Record i.e. it didn't automatically record week after week and search for the programme, you had to find it and set the recording parameters yourself.

As for "celebrity" bollocks, seriously, why does anyone watch this?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Angry Angry x 1
    • List
  14. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,094
    I remember similar things with "Heroes" "24" "X-Files" and a lot more. Shown on a TV channel and then dropped after one series, moved around, replaced by snooker, eurovision song contest, cricket, moved in schedules to the night shift, whatever.

Ditch terrestrial TV.

15. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    My God yes! At the time I thought I was the only one that liked it. Now I know different.

All 5 seasons are available via Amazon Prime.

"When death is your business, what is your life? The hit HBO series takes a darkly comic look at a dysfunctional L.A. family that runs a funeral business. In Season One, the death of the Fisher patriarch leads to big changes for the rest of the family."

It was groundbraking at the time.

16. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    We loved that show so much we named one of our sons Nathaniel after Peter Krause's character.

Also one of the best endings to a TV series ever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    The first series was quite innovative for its time, but the later series became too formulaic. A blast from the past, nevertheless.

Clem

18. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +17,966
    BBC wasted money on Heroes, after Season 1 was a hit in the US, as it was complete turkey after that, with corresponding low ratings everywhere, never recovering ratings and getting crapper and crapper. They took a punt on 24 right at the start on spec, before it got huge in the US, making it a hit on BBC2 for its first two seasons, then Sky poached it.

19. DalekbusterTV

DalekbusterTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Gotham Season 5 was a victim of being messed around in the schedules, and the same is going to happen with Agents of SHIELD. It should never have been moved back an hour for a celebrity dating show.

20. DalekbusterTV

DalekbusterTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Especially when Agents of SHIELD had been consistently airing in the 9pm slot for eleven weeks. I don't see why they couldn't have waited until Agents of SHIELD's current run was over before broadcasting Celebs Go Dating at 9pm. There was only two episodes to go!

21. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,025
    "Agents Of Shield" was originally broadcast on Channel 4, so another way of seeing this is that they completely screwed over the programme by shunting it over to E4 in the first place!

Or, that they kept it going instead of dropping it altogether. Personally, I don't think they've served neither the show nor its viewers well at all, but they're a commercial channel and it's all about revenues.

22. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    They kept it going instead of dropping it altogether. The viewer numbers were that low continuing it on a main channel wasn't that warranted from a commercial point of view.

23. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +12,243
    I was going to say the same thing. :D

Apart from Sport and news, nothing else I watch is live. Everything is recorded.
    Can't stand watching adverts, especially when they ramp the volume right up every time.

24. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    The same here. If theres something on live TV I want to watch, I won't watch it live. I'll record it to watch at a time of my choosing.

25. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,094
    I watched them all anyway via cable. Thing is that's hindsight. You've just watched a good first series, you find the next series isn't being shown. You don't find out until much later it was going downhill you just know at the time you won't be seeing any more of it. And if a series has gone downhill it should be down to you to decide to stop watching.
    I remember having to watch it at stupid o'clock at night on the BBC. Another thing I find annoying.

Screwed by the Network - TV Tropes

"Starting now on Channel 4 is a brand new show that we paid a ridiculous amount of money for which we'll launch in a blaze of publicity, and after a few weeks, we'll get bored of it and move it around the schedule where no one can find it, then we'll brand it a flop, take it off the air for six months, then reluctantly put it back on at three in the morning."
    Dead Ringers

26. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,094
    Love it:

Live-Action TV / Screwed By The Network - TV Tropes
    • While Amazing Stories (or Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories, as the BBC insisted on billing it) was no classic, it still deserved better scheduling than it got from The BBC, with episodes being flung onto the lineup at whim (and even going from BBC1 to BBC2 and back) and turning up anywhere from early in the morning ("Family Dog") to mid-afternoon ("The Mission") to early in the evening ("You Gotta Believe Me") to late at night ("Mirror, Mirror"). If anyone managed to catch the entire run when it was screened terrestrially in Britain (Sci Fi, to their credit, gave it a coherent run), you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
    I note the BBC's treatment of Dr Who gets a slating.

• Christopher Eccleston's tenure as the Ninth Doctor seems to have suffered from this. Despite propelling the show back into public consciousness and gathering tons of critical acclaim, every time the BBC and BBC America repeat old episodes they always start with David Tennant's era.

27. DalekbusterTV

DalekbusterTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The viewing figures were actually quite decent.

28. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    Doctor Who averages 5m. Agents of Shield?

29. martimu

martimu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    I really liked AoS but stopped watching it as it was so bad on 4OD that I thought I'd smeared my glasses in vaseline.

I'll catch the latest series if it comes to Cinemaparadiso at some point.

I've pretty much stopped with a lot of stuff done by channel 4 since I stopped sky. Their terrestrial and catch services are not good at all imo

30. millerlfc

millerlfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Nothing beats Channel 5 and their broadcast schedule for the first season of Archer several years ago. After showing the first few episodes regularly every Thursday at 11:00pm they then moved it to graveyard times with the time fluctuating every week from 3:25am, 5:10am, 1:20am, 2:55am etc. Utterly bizarre, especially considering their extremely limited catalogue of shows at the time.

Was so relieved when Netflix UK finally got the rights to Archer, and it ended up being a really big hit.

And now I think about it, pretty sure BBC did similar with the last series of Orphan Black and then Wilfred.