1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the Heck is This? (Artefact Related)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Geesus, May 30, 2005.

1. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    OK, so long-time (!) readers will remember that I thought I had a stuck green pixel on my relatively new Z3...well now I'm not too sure.

Surely a stuck 'pixel' will be actually a pixel in size? I always presumed this was the case, but after more in-depth study tonight, it appears to not even be a 1/4 of a pixel in size, but streaks into a neighbouring pixel too.

Does the output resolution of the dvd player, affect how much of the pixel will be stuck, or am I well off? If not, could it be a defect on the green plate, and would this be treated differently in terms of warranty?

I was hoping that it might be dust, but I've been blowing air into the holes until my arms resemble Popeye's and it's not shifting...

Any ideas folks, or would a diagram help? :lease: :lease:

2. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    OK, well I got my paint brushes out and produced the following masterpiece of modern art

[​IMG]

The brighter green is approximately that size in comparison to the visible pixel lines, with the greens eminating from either side distinctly blurrier, but protruding into a neighbouring square.

Does this point to being more a dead pixel, or a particularly stubborn artefact on the plate, or even a fault?

Bear in mind that it comes into focus along with the rest of the screen, which doesn't sound good to me.

Thanks for any help :smashin:

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    If it's that small, i'm surprised that you see it.

Have you only one artifact and where is it (middle, left etc...)

4. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    It's near the middle of the screen, but up a bit and right a bit.

Don't get me wrong, it is not 'in your face' but when you notice it, you notice it - it doesn't seem as intrusive as a normal stuck/dead pixel, but if it is a fault with the green 'plate' (not sure if thats the right term) then surely it doesn't count as a pixel problem, and should be repaired under warranty?

I always presumed that a dead/stuck pixel would actually be the whole pixel, but this wouldn't seem to be the case here, so what it is I have no idea...I might try some more blowing in case it is some debris, but the fact that it comes into focus with the rest of the screen, points to it being a permanent fault.

5. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Nope, had a good hard blow this afternoon (ooh err) and it's not budging - gonna give Sanyo a call tomorrow to see what they say.

If it's not a specific pixel defect, then they can sort the problem out under warranty...

6. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Yep. Give em a ring. Let us know how you got on...

7. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Been on the phone to Sanyo and it *does* count as a stuck pixel unfortunately, but the helpful guy on the phone gave me a run-down on their new pixel policy which is:

a) 2 Green
    b) 2 Red
    c) 4 Blue
    d) 5 Black (Dead)

Any of the above will count as a defect now, so I'm quietly praying for another greeny to pop up in the near future :D

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Looks more like a pixel lottery! :D

Apols for my flippancy, hope your numbers come up soon!

...PJ :)

9. kevinn

kevinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Geesus,

I've just purchased a Z3 and mine appears to have the same symptom as yours. It has a green mark in a pixel with streaks that run out from it. Mine is way up in the top left hand corner (about 1 inch down and 2 inches across on a 100 inch) so it is barely noticeable except that because I know it is there I occassionally tend to go looking for it. I tried the blower last night but it didn't make any difference and it appears on the screen even with no signal connected.
    I'm not sure about how the warantee would work for mine as I bought it in Japan and brought it back to New Zealand. I'd be interested to know if yours gets worse or (hopefully) corrects itself.

Kevin

10. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Hi,

I don't notice mine any more thankfully - believe it or not, you actually do stop looking for it at some stage, and begin to enjoy watching the PJ.

It may well still be there, but as I don't see it at the moment, I don't want to investigate too thoroughly :rotfl:

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    A pixel may have a sub-pixel architecture. ie a third of the what you see on the screen, that can be stuck in any one state on any of the RGB sub-pixels. That is why it is quite rare to have a dead pixel on all 3 counts, more likely a sub which it sounds like what you have !