what the difference between ide sata and pata dvd drives?

capullio

Standard Member
:lease:as stated what is the difference? i am after a new dvd writer i currently have a pioneer 112d its an ide type can i put any of the other version sata or pata on my computer? thanks confused

MarkE19

IDE and PATA are the same thing. SATA is the new connection for HDD's and DVD drives etc that uses a smaller power and data cables allowing better air flow in the PC case.
If your motherboard has SATA connections then you can of course add a SATA drive. If it doesn't you can add a SATA interface card and connect the drive to that. Your power supply will also need SATA power connectors or you will need to get molex (the IDE power connectors) to SATA power adapter cables.

Mark.

capullio

Standard Member
thanks for reply mark i was looking at a liteon 20a4p 24c dvd writer would i be able to just swap this over with my pioneer 112d dvd writer or would i need a different cable connector? i think the current cable is 80 pin

MarkE19

Both your old and the new LG drives are IDE so the same cables should work fine. All you will need to do is check the jumper setting on the old drive and make sure the new one has the same setting (ie Master or Slave).

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom