What the best file format above mp3, WMA or AAC

Aqilla

Standard Member
Hi all,

Have a question here, just like write in Title, I have Denon avr-1911 and MA BX2 for front/stereo speaker, usually I play my file music collection directly via usb input on Denon avr, and my format is MP3 with 320kbps bittrate, and I wondering what is better format for music file, denon can accept WMA and AAC with maximal bittrate is 24bit 192khz.

Any suggestion will appreciate,
Rgrd,

nb, sorry for my english

Arfa

Go for AAC. Will be much better than MP3, as is compatible with a lot more than AAC, so should future proof you.

That said, if you really want something that sounds better, go for a lossless codec, like Flac, Apple Lossless (ALAC), Windows Media Lossless, AIFF, or even just plain old Wav. However it seems you Denon can't play any of these.

WMA and AAC do have a lossless subset, which might be worth trying. However few devices support this and only tend to play the lossy versions of WMA and AAC.

Aqilla

Standard Member
Go for AAC. Will be much better than MP3, as is compatible with a lot more than AAC, so should future proof you.

That said, if you really want something that sounds better, go for a lossless codec, like Flac, Apple Lossless (ALAC), Windows Media Lossless, AIFF, or even just plain old Wav. However it seems you Denon can't play any of these.

WMA and AAC do have a lossless subset, which might be worth trying. However few devices support this and only tend to play the lossy versions of WMA and AAC.
many thank for advice, do your have recommended convert aac software, or I just take a free download software.

thx.

pwood

I would try listening to a track converted to lossless WMA using Windows Media Player which I am sure you will already have on your PC and compare with the same you have already ripped at 320kbps with your Denon /MA setup as you may not notice any difference in SQ.

Best program for ease of use and ripping I have found is DBPOWERAMP. You can rip to several different formats at the same time. FWIW I use FLAC with my Sonos system and also rip a 320 MP3 file for my portable gear.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom