Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What test DVD's and CD's for subwoofer demo ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Montana, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am currently looking for a subwoofer and I wondered what dvd's and cd's you would recomend for me to test it with.
    I have already listened to the Rel subs(not impressed at all) and the next I am to audition is the Velo's.Also if you could recomend any other subs I should also listen to.
    Thanks in advance.

Andy

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    The REL range covers many different models ranging in price from £350 to many thousands and I would be surprised if you had tested them all and found them wanting.

Whenever this question is asked in the past (frequently) people list loads of DVDs with bass content which isn't as helpful as it seems unless you know what to listen for.

In the very lengthy SVS versus Velodyne thread, Liam McCauley posted an interesting comparison of the REL Q100, SVS 20-39 PC Plus and the Velodyne CHT-15 describing the different way that each of the three replayed a Foo Fighters DVD. His review is here and is worth reading in it's entirety but the relevant paragraph was
    The track played was "The One" from the bonus DVD free with the One by One CD and the quote above tells you what to look for and what is available on other subs.

My other new sub tester (courtesy of GaryG) is the Lady Marmalade CD from Moulin Rouge as that has a very deep driving bass line that should be reproduced just like that.

I could recommend a sub for you to look at much better if I had some idea of your budget, any room or wife constraints and your existing speakers.

3. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    Slight correction - it was "All My Life" from the bonus DVD with the album "One by One" by the Foos.

Cheers,
    Liam

4. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry Ian , I just put the post up very quickly, as you can see by the time, just wanted a few hints and tips.As speakers go I have B&W 602s'3 at the front and a lcr600 centre and MS 903s surrounds and a crappy Paradigm pdr8.The rough budget I have for a sub is £500, unless a sub that catches me ear is worth the extra pounds.