1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What tends to be the done thing?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by beavis, Mar 8, 2002.

1. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't wanna spend loads of money on a tv, so what is the done thing...either:

1. Get a decent TV £1000+ and upgrade the sound system later.

or

2. Get a cheaper TV, eg. Philips 32PW6006 for £571 and spend the rest on hi fi kit/amp etc.

Thought I decided on the Tosh picture frame but now like the Panasonic looks cool!

a 14" TV is looking tempting at the moment!

Cheers

Beavis.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Personally, I´d get a decent Stereo Widescreen tv and spend the rest on the AV kit rather than get a TV with Dolby Digital etc.

The sound quality will be better via amps/receivers and a decent speaker package than thru the TV and its speakers.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Me, too. I'd spend as little as possible on a TV right now.

Because, my guess is that, within, say, 3 years, flat panel devices (LCD and/or Plasma) will become MUCH more affordable and so the desire to upgrade the TV seems more likely to happen before the other components.

In other words, I'd view a TV bought today as being nothing more than a stop-gap activity until flat panels become available at reasonable (by which I mean 25-50% more than regular TVs) prices.