1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What television???

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cslogg, Jan 22, 2003.

1. cslogg

cslogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully I am asking this in the correct forum.
    My Toshiba 29" Pro-Logic TV is on its last legs and needs to be replaced.
    Can anyone advise me on a replacement?
    I have up to £600 to spend.
    What is the best way to get value for money?
    I like the simplicity of what I had,connect the two rear speakers and away you go.I know nothing about Home Cinema but any advice would be welcome.I have Sky Digital as well as VCR and DVD player to also consider.
    Is my budget enough to get an adequate replacement?
    Thanks in advance.

cslogg

2. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +358
    (This could open up a can of worms but..) The best place to start is with one of the home cinema magazines (eg What Hi-fi). This will give you an idea of whats available in your price bracket.

Then you can do further research to decide which of the products is best for you. This can be done in three ways:
    1. Read reviews contained in the magazine
    2. Search for comments on particular models already made on the forum, or ask for help on particular models
    3. Go and have a look and demo at some of the models in your nearest high street store.

Then you need to decide whether you want to shop on the high street or on the net (net is 20 - 30% cheaper but it's not as easy to get after sales service if you're unlucky enough to find a problem).

But as an example of what might suit you, is in your price range, is a magazine awards winner and is available on the net try this:

www.unbeatable.co.uk

They have an award winning 28" widescreen Panasonic with integrated pro-logic sound on sale at £585.

Good hunting

Paul

3. cslogg

cslogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bogside that looks a good site.
    I shall have a proper look later.
    A couple of things I noticed after just a couple of mins. browsing.
    There are a couple of 32" sets which are cheaper than the Panasonic,I think they are Thompson and Samsung.Would they be a better deal?
    Also some of the sets are described as Pro Logic but when I click on the "more info" button they are described as Nicam Stereo.
    Any idea whic is correct?

Thanks again
    cslogg

4. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Basically you get what you pay for. Panasonic is generally better than Samsung or Thomson but that's not to say these are poor sets. It's just that you're likely to get better features, easier connectivity, better build quality and likely better longevity. (Though I'm sure I'll now have upset someone!)

Not sure on the point about Nicam stereo. It may mean that the output is in Nicam and is then converted by the television in pro-logic (which is what I think happens with all these types of television). But you can always email them and they'll let you know more (or look it up in the mags)

5. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cslogg

Sorry if this is slightly off the point but have you considered renting rather than buying?

I change my TV every 18 months now and get the latest and best set that I like.

Sure, you never own the set but you don't end up with a duff one like your soon to be departed Tosh - RIP :(

I currently have a Panasonic TX32PL1, it's Nicam only but has a cracking picture, the TX28PL1 can be had for well under £600 and it sounds as though Bogside has tracked down the pro-logic version for a good price.

Just a thought...

6. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Don't take what the magazines say as gospel in my exprience all is not as you would think it is when it comes to magazines reviewing products. They MAY receive "tweaked" sets or indeed may not be in a position to tell the whole truth. All in IMHO of course. Make sure you view the set before you buy from all sources that you are going to use, don't settle for just seeing a crappy terrestrial feed hiding all the bad points. Also don't let them them demo a cartoon type DVD as these really do not tax any digital processing systems to enable a true reflection of what you may have to put up with and ensure you buy from a retailer with a good track record encase you do have a problem

7. cslogg

cslogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bogside,
    the Panasonic TX28PL4Cz looks a good set within my budget.
    On the EmpireDirect site they have a TX28PL4 thats going for £529.98
    Apart from a couple of letters in the name it looks like the same model for £50 less.
    One more query/observation if I may,I know everyone says widescreen is the way to go but after watching a 29" square screen for the past 4 years and then looking at various 28" widescreen in Comet the w/s looks so much smaller.I am still not convinced that buying a w/s will enhance my veiwing pleasure.

Thanks for your help so far I am sure I will be back here soon.

cslogg

8. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +358
    I may be wrong here as I'm not overly familiar with this Panny, but I think that letters after the product name generally relate to the country where the product was actually manufactured under license. It should however in theory make no difference to the actual product quality.

In terms of the widescreen mode I would strongly suggest that you give it a try. I understand exactly what you are talking about as I had the same concern when I moved away from a Panasonic 29"er. But most of the terrestial channels broadcast their programmes in widescreen now and if you're using a dvd player then they are almost always presented in widescreen. You'll feel much more involved in movies if you can see the whole picture as it was intended by the director.

Or if you could move up to 32" you'd solve both problems at once.

9. cslogg

cslogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bogside,
    I would like to move up to a 32" but am not sure my budget will stand it.I know I said £600 was my limit but I could probably go a bit higher if there was a set with the same sort of quality as the 28" Panny you recommended.

cslogg

10. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Look at unbeatable again. They have a 32" Toshiba for £630 and the 32" Pannys are available at just under £800.