What TAG McLaren processor have I bought?

bizon

Novice Member
99F62535-3D3C-43EB-A1EE-1DEF08D1A735.jpeg
18BF4016-747F-4F83-8B45-4539237244F6.jpeg
CA1266B7-58AA-4363-B2CF-E9051B1A73FA.jpeg
AC93DC72-4B40-4790-8CDA-9E3ECC4FB72E.png
Hi all! Hope there are any TAG McLaren owners left in this forum... I recently purchased a dirt cheap AV32R processor. But I'm so confused with all the updates that were available for this processor. How do I know which updates this one has? How do I know if it has the 192 kHz DAC? Please see images.

The previous owner didn't buy it new so he had no idea either.

Also, some of the processors out there has "F3 series" printed on them, that mine does not have. Is there any difference between those and mine? My remote has F3 series printed on it....

Any information is much appreciated!

david1961

Someone else might know if its a bp192 seems later silver fronts had the avant-garde and not f3 like the black

bizon

Novice Member
Thank you David! So there's no functional difference between my model and the one that has F3 series on the front?

david1961

I pretty sure they had planned a f3 f2 and f1 series and after a while decided that it wasnt going to happen

I believe as stocks of f3 badged faceplates ran out they decided to change to avantagarde

There was lots of updates on the av32r with the last being the av32r DP

Im sure someone can confirm that yours is the basic model

Many basic models went back for upgrades and the front faceplate remained the same

How does it sound in your system ?

bizon

Novice Member
I pretty sure they had planned a f3 f2 and f1 series and after a while decided that it wasnt going to happen

I believe as stocks of f3 badged faceplates ran out they decided to change to avantagarde

There was lots of updates on the av32r with the last being the av32r DP

Im sure someone can confirm that yours is the basic model

Many basic models went back for upgrades and the front faceplate remained the same

How does it sound in your system ?
Thanks again!

I actually haven't really listened to it yet, I got it last week and just hooked it up to one source to confirm that it worked. But I'm sure I'll be happy with it 😊 it replaced a Rotel RSP-1098. I already love the look and feel of it, it smells quality, love that it's tiny but heavy! The Rotel was WAAAY bigger. But also had a lot more inputs and outputs that I don't really need. No need for video switching any longer.

I sent an email to Kevin Green who, from what I've read on this forum, is an expert on these things. Hope he'll reply!

bizon

Novice Member
How did you go?
You were right, Kevin had the answers :D
I´ve been messaging back and forth with Kevin. After I posted here, my SP has died :( according to Kevin, it´s likely a memory issue that is apparently common on these SPs. Hopefully he can fix it when he´s going to Germany in a few weeks. It´s super expensive to send stuff to and from the UK now with Brexit. So we´re waiting for his trip to Germany.
It seems like a base unit, it doesn´t have the 192bp upgrade, but it has the 7.1 output.
I´ve also discovered that it´s full of mold on the inside :( chassis is corroded too. Don´t know if it´s worth keeping, I might buy another unit from Kevin instead. In that case, Kevin says he could buy my unit as scrap, to use for parts.

david1961

Thanks for the info with the age of these better to scrap it and get one of Kevin least you know will be hopefully good for a while

AMCross

so many of these have now had faceplates swapped the only real way of knowing what dacs you have is to have a look inside after removing the lid

AMCross

AV32DP ?
DVD32R ?
AV192R ?

AMCross

WAT IS DE HUIDIGE VERSIE

AMCross

using google translate

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts