What switch will work for controlling on/off bathroom fan and light

tshan

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Looking for a smart switch ZigBee or ZWave that can turn off/on the bathroom fan and light individually (No dimmer needed). House is USA 1950 build probably no neutral wire in most of the outlets.

Please see the picture attached of the wiring.
1 Black wire- Hot
1 Black wire- Turns on/off light if I take it out
2 White wires connected together via a wire nut

20220919_145415.jpg

Please advice.

Thanks
-Shan

There has to be a Neutral at the outlets or they couldn't power anything.
That white wire that's wire-nutted is the Neutral, but you won't need it for this job.

If the fan/light unit you're providing Power to only has two wires out, there won't be a way to turn the fan & light on separately.

If they're separate units you need a Live wire from each of them to the switch(s).

There has to be a Neutral at the outlets or they couldn't power anything.
That white wire that's wire-nutted is the Neutral, but you won't need it for this job.

If the fan/light unit you're providing Power to only has two wires out, there won't be a way to turn the fan & light on separately.

If they're separate units you need a Live wire from each of them to the switch(s).
So in most cases, the power is run either to a fan or light and then brought to an outlet that's why there is no neutral in the outlet but has to be either by a fan or light fixtures.
Both fan and light are separate hardware.
In my case you are right about needing the live wire from each entity as in this case, I am betting the hot wire + neutral is run to the fan first and then brought to the outlet which connects to the light wire inside the outlet.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom