What svhs unit to get and where to get one???

emmett6512

Standard Member
I need to get a good SVHS unit, a top end consumer model I think, for use with a certain program on my PC. I have seen a Philips VR969 which looks ideal as it has the RS232 port on the back which is a big advantage. Apart from eBay I can't find any, and the ones on there aren't always what I'm after, and was just looking for some ideas and help on the best/worst units. I preferably need an editing unit and not just one with SVHS playback, as I need the still/pause to be clear and a single frame skip function would be ideal. Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Gavtech

Administrator
I need to get a good SVHS unit, a top end consumer model I think, for use with a certain program on my PC. I have seen a Philips VR969 which looks ideal as it has the RS232 port on the back which is a big advantage. Apart from eBay I can't find any, and the ones on there aren't always what I'm after, and was just looking for some ideas and help on the best/worst units. I preferably need an editing unit and not just one with SVHS playback, as I need the still/pause to be clear and a single frame skip function would be ideal. Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I think you are really going to struggle here.

Not only are you not in a position to be able to make choices about the facilities you want , but I think you will struggle to find a single S-VHS unit at all.

Manufacturers generally ceased producing VCR's quite a few years ago and the only VHS based products tend to be 'legacy devices' bolted on to DVD recorders.

So I think you will be limited to the second hand market.

The Panasonic editing decks were highly regarded [ FS90 FS200 etc]

emmett6512

Standard Member
Yeah I'm definitely looking at the used ones, mostly eBay, I saw a couple on there at one point but they got away and I never saw them again! Just wondered if any of the users here knew of any second hand retailers/online stores etc or had old stock I might be able to get one from.
It's definitely a tough one! They are out there, it's just getting the right one that's the problem!

clemenzina

It would be free for you to "advertise" for one in eBay's Want It Now section. I don't necessarily think it would be very fruitful because WIN is so difficult to find and many people don't know anything about it - but it won't cost you anything, so "hey!" ;)

eBay.co.uk/wantitnow

clemenzina

Last edited:

ncmoody

Just 'cos I am curious and a bit of a lateral thinker :=

Do you have a heavy investment in SVHS that prevents you from moving to an alternative format?

MarkE19

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom