• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What surround mode?

bsimmer3000

I'm sure this has come up numerous times before but I'm having trouble searching for what I'm asking.

Here's my question

I am running a denon 4311 and as you know it has a lot of settings for audio but which should I be using? Below is what I have figured out my self but it don't seem right.

DTS-HD MSTR + PL11x = currently to my ears has best surround detail and sounds the best

DTS-HD MSTR A-DSX = second best as surrounds don't have as much detail and as the PL11x

Now my question is what does The below options give me over the above ones.

DTS-HD MSTR + NEO:6. A-DSX
DTS-HD MSTR + PL11x C A-DSX
DTS-HD MSTR + PL11x M A-DSX

Which of all of any of these should be the best. I thought running auddysey would have made the sound better not worse so I'm confused as to why auddysey is doing this?

Jase

Distinguished Member
What speaker setup are you using? 7.1, 9.1?

It's a bit subjective really as it comes down to what sounds best to you. The modes you've listed are using different surround decoding so will vary slightly in their presentation. One you don't really want to use is DTS-HD MSTR + PLIIx M A-DSX as that is using Dolby PLIIx Music processing.

I've always preferred the various flavours of Dolby PLIIx C for TV/Movies.

Last edited:

bsimmer3000

What speaker setup are you using? 7.1, 9.1?

It's a bit subjective really as it comes down to what sounds best to you. The modes you've listed are using different surround decoding so will vary slightly in their presentation. One you don't really want to use is DTS-HD MSTR + PLIIx M A-DSX as that is using Dolby PLIIx Music processing.

I've always preferred the various flavours of Dolby PLIIx C for TV/Movies.

Sorry I should have said its setup in 9.1 with front heights. I wondered what the M stood for after PL11x so that clears that up. What's the C mean?

What in have noticed is there is a massive difference of how DTS-HD MSTR A-DSX in 7.1 sounds compared to 9.1. I didn't realize it done both types when you scroll through the sound profiles. Always heard having the extra rears don't make any difference but it's like caulk and cheese when the rear surrounds ain't on.

Thanks for the help

sutton8

I use a Denon 3312, the step down model. If you want to use the front heights you will have to use PLIIz or Audyssey. I prefer my sound in front of me and use the front heights rather than the surround backs. I get little value from the surround backs, as you often hear. The Audyssey people will tell you that fronts and wides give a better soundstage rather than surround backs, but then they would given what they are selling. Something to do with how the brain perceives sound, so they say.

When you are using the 9 speakers the receiver usually mocks up the sound for the fronts and wides. Some DTS-HD material is encoded to take advantage of 7 speakers including the rear surrounds. Even then I still prefer to use the Audyssey DSX and have the extra sound out of the front.

I think you are lucky in that you could run fronts, wides and surround backs if you wanted in an 11.1 setup. But you may need an external amp to run two of the channels. I cant remember the specs of the 4311 (by the way is there going to be a 4312?) Few receivers, if any, will run 11.1 natively. I guess manufacturers haven't really gone for it due to limited demand. There is no movie encoded for 11.1 as far as I know. Even 9.1. So the extra is all matrixed by the amp.

I assume C is cinema and M is music.

Jase

Distinguished Member
As sutton8 has posted C is for Cinema. As you have a 9.1 setup you should have a fair few modes to take advantage of. Dolby PLIIz is definitely worth a go.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom