What supplements are you taking?

You know, I'm beginning to get ****** off with MP :)

Almost every time I put a large order in you can guarantee 1-2 days later there will be an offer on meaning I could have saved a small fortune on most of what I ordered.
Its like they have some kind of special flag in place :mad:

Lol. At least I'm not the only one! Last three orders this has happened to me!

Last year MP had an offer on for £50 called a 'summer gains bundle' where you got a whole load of supplements (protein, oats, creatine, tablets, etc). It was a fantastic offer and great value. I have sent them an email to ask if they will repeat this again this year.

Feel free to use my referral MP588503

Last edited:
I've just started the SL5x5 regime and want to know if I should be using supplements. I don't eat meat but do have a semi-healthy diet but I know I don't get enough protein. I don't want to take 10 different things 3 times a day, maybe just a few essentials. I've tried reading up on this but there's so many opinions and products that it's a little confusing for a beginner.

BigP yeah SL5x5 whilst can be done naturally would definatley benefit from supplements. First of all protien as your body needs this to rebuild the muscle youl be pushing to the limits every week. Try and go for one with a good protien content- 80% or above. I personally use myproteins impact whey isolate (isolate hits the blood stream quicker so particularly good post workout, although have also used their normal impact whey before- both recommended). I would also recommed using a good preworkout formula as the further you get through the regime the more you will SERIOUSLY need focus and energy as you will be pushing your nervous system to its limits which can be very tiring without a big boost. This is something you will have to play around with yourself to find one that works for you as everyone is different in regards to their caffeine response. I personally have used myproteins Pulse (and now newer Pulse v4) and found them to work very well- but I have little to no caffiene in my diet. Others that I know that have high caffiene tolerances prefer to use a taurine based formula for a similar boost etc, so play around and find one that gives you the boost/focus you need.

Other than that the rest are going to be kind of pointless, ive not started training with my BCAAs yet but theyre about the only supplement ive read about that seems to apparently "work" (although its still 50/50 views). Creatine could be worth a look but not sure its really of benefit on the SL5x5 regieme but it does encourage blood flow to the mucles so may help (although these is used more for bodybuilders so there is probably an alternate product im not aware of that will get you a similar result more relevant for powerlifting).

Its all trial and error though, there is no replacement for a good healthy diet as that is what will allow you to grow your strength and muscle. Not eating meat does make this harder as you will have a natural protein deficiency I would have thought (you need to be aiming for at least 1g of protein per 1lb of bodywieght) so you do need to look at getting this from alternate sources (supplements, nuts, fish if you can, etc).

MOST important with that workout though is FORM and REST. Make sure you practice the hell out of form or you will generate bad form and this will do damage when you go above your own bodywieght. Rest also- get in at least 8 hours.

Hope this helps
Grangey

Yeah recommended the flavour drops a few pages back, honestly they are the way to go!

Stop buying flavored as these flav drops just taste sooo much better imo!

i can't see anything helping with the taste of unflavoured whey - it is THAT bad :laugh:

i can't see anything helping with the taste of unflavoured whey - it is THAT bad :laugh:

Just tastes like thin unsweetened skimmed milk to me. Best stop thinking of it as something to sip and enjoy and just chug it down. Like medicine.
Man up :)

Just tastes like thin unsweetened skimmed milk to me. Best stop thinking of it as something to sip and enjoy and just chug it down. Like medicine.
Man up :)

My mum used to make me drink the left over greens and cabbage water when I was a kid. Now that was bad :)

My mum used to make me drink the left over greens and cabbage water when I was a kid. Now that was bad :)

Sounds vile.

I've recently started taking Power greens and that is rank... The smell is horrendous too!

Even mixing it with flavoured protein and a few spoons of MP peanut butter you still get an after taste then it repeats on your for the next 2 hours!

Power Greens

I love the taste of unflavoured whey.... must just be me by the look of it!

trust me, ive never tried (or intend to) unflavoured without adding something as thats what its made for. Get the flavour drops and it will taste just like mcdonalds milkshakes trust me (particularly the strawberry and banana flavour, vanilla is very nice also).:smashin:

Thanks for your help Grangey. I will start of with some whey protein and add oats for breakfast. I've also started eating more egg white and drinking skimmed milk so hopefully that should help me with my protein requirement.

With whey, how many times a day do you take it? Before and after workout? And what about on rest days?

Ideally pre , during and post

I have a daily protein requirement for 235gms

Yesterday I had 42gms in the morning at Breakfast ( Whey with Oats )

Brunch 7gms (in food)

Lunch 44gms (in food )

Aftenoon Snack 7gm ( in Food )

Dinner 50 gms ( in Food )

pre workout 30 gms whey 50gms Carbs

during 15gms whey 30gms Carbs

post 30gms (50% whey / 50% Casein) 50gms Carbs

Hope that makes sense but in essence what I have done is fulfill my daily macro requirement and split it between whole food and whey / Casein powder.

I have also eaten enough protein around my training that i am getting enough BCAA so as not to need a supplement.

Last edited:
You don't 'take' protein, you consume it like you do ANY other food group.
Your body uses it when it needs to, so it doesn't really make any difference if you eat it at any certain times.
However, you metabolism is working at its most efficient after exercise.
Your body takes around 24 hours to recover and will need protein throughout this time, so eat it then.

I have a requirement of around 180gms per day.
Breakfast will be 2 scoops of whey with 2 scoops of porridge (so round 40gms).
Lunch (today) sardines in toast, (so around 30gms).
Mid afternoon another shake (40gms).
Tea will be chicken or steak (not sure, but around 70gms).
I will go straight to the gym from work and may have a shake after.
I have other things as well like rice or fresh veg etc too.

Last edited:
read "the protein book" by Lyle MacDonald if you really want to know how protein and protein consumption will benefit training , its a fantastic book as there is a lot of mis-information out there on a subject that is really still being researched at all levels

Both Turb and PCThug both make valid points,

PCThug is most correct in the sence that Whey protien shouldnt be seen as a performance enhancing supplement at all, it is simply a dietary addition that should be take to help you reach your protien requirements for the day- which is VERY tough and expensive just using normal food. Your body has a requirement of at least 1g of protein per 1lb of bodyfat when building muscle or weight, so to be using protien properly what you should be doing is properly tracking your macros and taking protien shakes when needed at meal time or throughout the day as a snack or whatever so long as it fits those macros.

However, Turb is also correct in that there are documented evidence to support that taking said protien at certain times around a workout can be beneficial- I personally dont believe in during workout at all. But, I would ensure that I have consumed a good amount of protien preworkout personally and take a shake if I hadnt (ie if i worked out in the morning but all id had is oats, i would have a shake preworkout to make sure there is a store of protein ready when my body needs it. But after workout I would certainly take a shake within 30 minutes- this is still broscience to a certain extent and probably more relevant to bodybuilders than strength training but when you have just ripped apart your muscles your body is going to be grasping for protein anywhere it can, so taking a fast acting protein that goes straight to the blood stream (isolate) SHOULD be particularly beneficial here. However, I dont see it making any huge differences in your overall performance whether you do or dont do this tbh as in theory your body does do all the repairing as you sleep which is why you just need to ensure you have hit you macros.

I was a massive sceptic with regards ti supplements, especially protein and creatine. After a three month trial period to see if I was actually missing out, I was converted. If, and it's a big if, you're training hard enough to justify the additional intake then it's a no brainer to use them.

I love the taste of unflavoured whey.... must just be me by the look of it!

Yup me too, can also mix it in my porridge oats for a protein rich breakfast.

Anyway just a quick heads up that if you use the code SAV15 with MP you can save 15% (today only tho i think!)

I've received my unflavoured whey and flavour drops. Damn it's tasty and I only use a few drops. Not normally a fan of porridge but the instant oats are ok and I just mix it all up so it's palatable.

What does Creatine actually do?

I have heard off a lot of people that say if you are going to take any supplements then Creatine should be at the top of the list.

You really don't need to take creatine, or protein for that matter. Just have a healthy diet and ensure you put a good amount of protein into your meals. I've seen people take supplements and train and get no results and people not take supplements and get great results. The companies that sell them convince people they need them but you really don't. The biggest difference you'll see with creatine is water retention which you lose when you stop taking it anyway. They're expensive, ineffective and unhealthy (your body really doesn't want high concentrations of the stuff). Have a well thought out consistent training regime, keep it up and eat properly and you'll reap the rewards.

You really don't need to take creatine, or protein for that matter. Just have a healthy diet and ensure you put a good amount of protein into your meals. I've seen people take supplements and train and get no results and people not take supplements and get great results. The companies that sell them convince people they need them but you really don't. The biggest difference you'll see with creatine is water retention which you lose when you stop taking it anyway. They're expensive, ineffective and unhealthy (your body really doesn't want high concentrations of the stuff). Have a well thought out consistent training regime, keep it up and eat properly and you'll reap the rewards.

Thanks.

My diet is already very good, I eat lots of proteins, good clean carbs and decent fats as well as lots of veg.
I don't eat sugars, much bread or other crap or drink alcohol, but do drink around 2-3ltrs of water per day.
The ONLY supplements I have at the moment are protein shakes to try and get around 200g per day.
I go to the gym 3-5 times per week, training different muscle groups.
I have lost around 2.5 stone of fat this year too.

I think its heading in the right direction.

I take no supplements besides omega oil, vitamin d3 and the occasional multivitamin -- things you'd take if you weren't hitting the gym anyway. I lost over 2 stone in weight and more in fat. I don't eat particularly clean (bread, rice, curries, deserts, kebabs, burgers are pretty normal) but this means I'll have somewhere to go if I want to lose more weight; I have factors I can play with. So far, it's not been needed.

I linked this video earlier. It touches on a lot of diet issues. Really good IMO

Thanks.

My diet is already very good, I eat lots of proteins, good clean carbs and decent fats as well as lots of veg.
I don't eat sugars, much bread or other crap or drink alcohol, but do drink around 2-3ltrs of water per day.
The ONLY supplements I have at the moment are protein shakes to try and get around 200g per day.
I go to the gym 3-5 times per week, training different muscle groups.
I have lost around 2.5 stone of fat this year too.

I think its heading in the right direction.

I'm thinking of buying a kg of protein powder and doing ~150gr a day to see what that's like...
but is there a limit of how much to take at once before say the body will waste any excess - like should I be taking it 3 times a day @~50gr, or can I simply do the whole lot in one go?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom