What Subwoofers go under 22hz for under £1,000

Thats exactly what its for movies. I wouldnt want a sub for music because my floorstanders have an excellent low end sound I'm more than happy with. It's 100% for movies thats unless I buy a 5.1 DVD-audio disc at any point but yeah its for movies

Personally, I'd defo give the sub a try with stereo music. Sending only above 60-80Hz to your floor standers means the amp can use all of it's energy on where the floor standers excel. A lot of high end systems with 10k-50k floor standers are often ran with a decent sub for that reason.

Interesting thread as very soon I hope to be in the same situation as you.

I have been considering the 12.17 as you purchased, or investing a little (or lot!) more and going for either the Arendal 1 or 1.5. Does anyone have a view of the 12.17 vs those?

Intersting about including stereo music also. I've never really considered doing that as I run my front pair from a dedicated stereo amp so would need to use high level connection which I've always found tricky to get right. Might be something worth considering.

I have the same speakers as you. I have been using for the last 6 months an SVS SB200 £819.00
In Piano Black gloss. black Ash £799.
  • Driver | 12"
  • Amplifier | 500 watts RMS (1100 watts peak)
  • Freq. Response | 19-220 hz ±3 DB
  • My room is bigger than yours, Fills it with Bass comfortably
  • The SVS SB200 is a sealed enclosure, Nice tight bass.

Attachments

• P1000406.JPG
    P1000406.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 190
I will be swapping out my T9 for an XTZ 12.17 shortly too so another vote here. Really comes down to the port tuning options and the EQ settings to tailor it to your room that made me decide. Nothing against any of the other subs at all - I just have a difficult room.

I have a BK Monolith. Its neither small or discreet. However the amount of air it shifts is incredible.

I have a BK Monolith. Its neither small or discreet. However the amount of air it shifts is incredible.
I do love the Monolith, talked my mate into getting one... His wife wasn't best pleased. lol

Monolith looks very good and is at a very good price point, can't help but think its starting to fall behind some of the competition now though.

Monolith looks very good and is at a very good price point, can't help but think its starting to fall behind some of the competition now though.

Monolith is legendary movie sub which still today shouldn`t be forgotten!:lesson:
Measured performance for the 300w version was really good for the price. -3db @ 19/20hz (FF/DF) same as with 12.17 . 20-25hz performance is very close between XTZ 12.17 (maximum output) but then the XTZ will have clearer edge over Mono at 31,5-80hz. I think the new class d-amp and dsp chip can be tuned more freely plus the driver is better than in BK and cabinet design has been improved aswell. So newer design on XTZ has some advantages, plus the tweakability and more wife friendly size. It still doesn`t make Monolith bad choice (grade b pricing or 2nd hand!).

We got to remember most of action movies don`t have things going at 20hz or under all the time. It`s mostly higher +30hz. Some movies more and some less. So while it`s still important that sub performs great at the ~ 20hz, it`s important it does it also at higher. Feel free to have different opinion. I have seen many posts about SVS (PB1000/2000) cause they tune their subs to get maximum SPL around 16-20hz and maybe because of that they miss some mid/upper-bass punch.

Size matters with subwoofers and that is partly the reason why Mono performs so great, it`s larger than XTZ and many wifes won`t allow the high DF model in house. Mono FF is closer to XTZ, but depth wise still noticeably larger. Monolith weights 50kg, as XTZ 25kg. :rolleyes: There is BK Mono Plus model with better Lab12 driver and beefier 500w/1000w amp. Sadly no measurements of this but owners here love it and i`m sure it`s even better than the old classic.

Here is the measurements for DF (there is FF too somewhere ), notice that this amp has changed if you now buy the 300w version. It has some protection that the driver won`t bottom etc. See post #4 for explanation of results;
Bk Monolith-DF - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

If someone is intrested about in Monolith DF there is two 300w versions and one 500w version listed for 406£ and 494£ plus delivery around 30£ or so.. Grade b`s but new and full warranty from BK.

Monolith Plus -DF Subwoofer in Black | eBay
Monolith-DF Subwoofer in Black | eBay
Monolith-DF Subwoofer in Black Ash | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Monolith is legendary movie sub which still today shouldn`t be forgotten!:lesson:
Measured performance for the 300w version was really good for the price. -3db @ 19/20hz (FF/DF) same as with 12.17 . 20-25hz performance is very close between XTZ 12.17 (maximum output) but then the XTZ will have clearer edge over Mono at 31,5-80hz. I think the new class d-amp and dsp chip can be tuned more freely plus the driver is better than in BK and cabinet design has been improved aswell. So newer design on XTZ has some advantages, plus the tweakability and more wife friendly size. It still doesn`t make Monolith bad choice (grade b pricing or 2nd hand!).

We got to remember most of action movies don`t have things going at 20hz or under all the time. It`s mostly higher +30hz. Some movies more and some less. So while it`s still important that sub performs great at the ~ 20hz, it`s important it does it also at higher. Feel free to have different opinion. I have seen many posts about SVS (PB1000/2000) cause they tune their subs to get maximum SPL around 16-20hz and maybe because of that they miss some mid/upper-bass punch.

Size matters with subwoofers and that is partly the reason why Mono performs so great, it`s larger than XTZ and many wifes won`t allow the high DF model in house. Mono FF is closer to XTZ, but depth wise still noticeably larger. Monolith weights 50kg, as XTZ 25kg. :rolleyes: There is BK Mono Plus model with better Lab12 driver and beefier 500w/1000w amp. Sadly no measurements of this but owners here love it and i`m sure it`s even better than the old classic.

Here is the measurements for DF (there is FF too somewhere ), notice that this amp has changed if you now buy the 300w version. It has some protection that the driver won`t bottom etc. See post #4 for explanation of results;
Bk Monolith-DF - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

If someone is intrested about in Monolith DF there is two 300w versions and one 500w version listed for 406£ and 494£ plus delivery around 30£ or so.. Grade b`s but new and full warranty from BK.

Monolith Plus -DF Subwoofer in Black | eBay
Monolith-DF Subwoofer in Black | eBay
Monolith-DF Subwoofer in Black Ash | eBay
Great info, thanks

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Interesting thread as very soon I hope to be in the same situation as you.

I have been considering the 12.17 as you purchased, or investing a little (or lot!) more and going for either the Arendal 1 or 1.5. Does anyone have a view of the 12.17 vs those?

Intersting about including stereo music also. I've never really considered doing that as I run my front pair from a dedicated stereo amp so would need to use high level connection which I've always found tricky to get right. Might be something worth considering.

Sealed (Arendal) vs. ported (XTZ). Arendal won`t reveal any measurements which is kinda odd as some magazines/sites will do it anyway. Most of people aren`t intrested about those, but some comparisons are nice to read to get some idea.. There is couple reviews for these subs, at Arendal page is one and they compared old BK Monolith to Sub1, sadly only with music. But Arendal sounded much better in 2ch music test (quality of bass), which didn´t suprise me (sealed design and Arendal says these are very musical subs). Build quality was praiced too and also sound pressure levels (music)were good. Check it, i can`t remember more..

Coin has always two sides. Sub1 can´t compete with ported subs around 20hz near the port tune. So with certain movies you don`t get same feeling than with example Mono or XTZ which will have more output there, that is if you crank loud. Will it matter for you, i don`t know. Some people want more, some are fine what i have read. It still has lot of low to mid-bass (?) punch and sounds fantastic with music. Just some ultralow or what ever you want to call it is missing. 5year amp warranty is better too than in BK/XTZ and gorgeous looks with superb build quality. If you have small room chances are you will like it as some room gain will help it perform even better. Arendal Jan (?) said it`s better than SVS SB2000 (sound quality, performance) both priced around same. :) But the price is also higher than XTZ/BK. Thank god i don`t have to make that decision. :censored: Contact Arendal by email, you will get nice reply back if you give enough info about your usage (music/movie) & room size & other subs you are looking. They won`t bulls*it you. :smashin:

I have the same speakers as you. I have been using for the last 6 months an SVS SB200 £819.00
In Piano Black gloss. black Ash £799.
  • Driver | 12"
  • Amplifier | 500 watts RMS (1100 watts peak)
  • Freq. Response | 19-220 hz ±3 DB
  • My room is bigger than yours, Fills it with Bass comfortably
  • The SVS SB200 is a sealed enclosure, Nice tight bass.
Nice setup lol :thumbsup:

Ive heard that if you have problems with room size you can just buy a mini dsp 2x4 and mic measure the response and adjust to intergrate with your speakers

arendal sub 1 is great. planning to get a second at some point. goes low, loud and very nice!

I deciding between a BK Mono+ and a XTZ 12.17. I'd prefer the XTZ, but matte black is out of stock and I'm waiting on an answer as to how long.

I deciding between a BK Mono+ and a XTZ 12.17. I'd prefer the XTZ, but matte black is out of stock and I'm waiting on an answer as to how long.
I like the look of the XTZ as well it looks very nice and it blends with my other speakers well. Everything in my room is glossy or glass so Id want the gloss one.

Last edited:
Really nice sub!
Set up via Audyssey and gain was saying -11. Turned sub down some more and got -6. Adjusted gain on AVR to +6 and removed both ports. That got the deepest bass for me on some tracks that I like.
Will do for now until my partner can take our 4 month out for a bit again :rotfl:
Cheers @Jag @ Epic Home Cinema :beer:

Really nice sub!
Set up via Audyssey and gain was saying -11. Turned sub down some more and got -6. Adjusted gain on AVR to +6 and removed both ports. That got the deepest bass for me on some tracks that I like.
Will do for now until my partner can take our 4 month out for a bit again :rotfl:

I'm jealous and I don't know why it's not like the 12.17 is an upgrade. It's a slight downgrade but still for the price it looks very nice and I'm sure it sounds it too. That was my second choice but I'm stuck with arendal now!

Really nice sub!
I believe in theory that plugging the right hole, with the EQ set to ref will give the deepest output :smashin:

sub-12-17_5196242_Image2.jpg

sub-12-17_5196242_Image1.jpg

I have 2 SB2000 and they are superb I went so SB as I prefer sealed subs for music over ported ones but sealed are still good for movies,

I have not listened to any subs in the price / quality bracket nor do I wish to as I am more than happy with these, so I am trying to not hear anything that will make me think they are anything other than as amazing as I think they are now.

My advice is get a sub or two and you won't be disappointed at this price bracket

I have 2 SB2000 and they are superb I went so SB as I prefer sealed subs for music over ported ones but sealed are still good for movies,

I have not listened to any subs in the price / quality bracket nor do I wish to as I am more than happy with these, so I am trying to not hear anything that will make me think they are anything other than as amazing as I think they are now.

My advice is get a sub or two and you won't be disappointed at this price bracket

I was originally going to get a pb2000, as I've heard a hell of a lot of very good reviews, but it was too big sadly it won't fit in the corner next to my speaker. So had to rethink, it had to be sealed. So then considered sb2000 but I then stumbled across the also sealed arendal sub 1 which was only £100 or so more and after hearing everyone say the sub 1 has more lunch than the sb13 ultra I went for the arendal. I kind of miss the port like my old sub although that rolled off very bad below 35hz. Being sealed this still blows away my old ikon sub MK2 in every way imaginable

There's so little information below 25Hz that you probably wouldn't notice anything was missing if you bought a sub (or two) that only go down that far. PMC's (mono) sub only goes down to 25Hz and sounded fine to me when I heard it at a show a few years back, though even a pre-owned one of those would probably cost rather more than your budget.

At home, I use a pair of (no longer made) Lyngdorf W210's driven by a Lyngdorf SDA-2175 power amp (375 wpc into 4 Ohms) which the spec. sheet says go down to 18Hz, but they're rather rare and finding a pre-owned pair might be difficult. They're also rather big and heavy, but darned good, quick too. Each one contains two 10" drivers. A (gloss black) pair was up for sale on eBay a while back but the seller couldn't find any takers.

In my office system, I use a 20 year old passive JPW sub (commonly available pre-owned for as little as £25) and it's magnificent, even in a big open space, albeit not up to monster volume levels.

Last edited:
I was originally going to get a pb2000, as I've heard a hell of a lot of very good reviews, but it was too big sadly it won't fit in the corner next to my speaker. So had to rethink, it had to be sealed. So then considered sb2000 but I then stumbled across the also sealed arendal sub 1 which was only £100 or so more and after hearing everyone say the sub 1 has more lunch than the sb13 ultra I went for the arendal. I kind of miss the port like my old sub although that rolled off very bad below 35hz. Being sealed this still blows away my old ikon sub MK2 in every way imaginable
I've been following several of these threads and have narrowed my choice to an Arendel 1 and SB2000. If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for the Arundel when and where did you get it from?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom