1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by RyanB, Jun 11, 2005.

1. RyanB

RyanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all!
    This is my first post, but after reading many threads, and gaing some knowledge, I thought I'd ask my own question.
    I have currently: Denon 3802, B+W 602 s2 fronts, cc6 centre and 601's rear. My listening room is approx 4x3mtrs.
    My question is, (believe it or not!) what subwoofer would you recommend with this set up? I've read a lot about BK on this site today. Would the xls200 be too small for this setup? It will mainly be for movie use. I have the opportunity to buy a couple of year old Rel Strata III quite cheap. Would this be comparable? :confused:
    All help greatly received

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Strata would be higher up the food chain than the BK but it depends on what price you have been offered them for.

3. RyanB

RyanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Strata sold for £311 on ebay last night. I was going to bid for it, but was in the middle of reading various threads on here regarding BK. I read that the monolith is very good, but I must admit to being a bit cautious, having never heard of BK before, and never seen a magazine review. I undersatnd the sony 900 is supposed to be quite good too. Would the monolith be to big for my setup/roomsize?

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    BK are the OEM manufacturer for a number of well-known subwoofer firms so although you may not have heard of BK themselves I suspect you have heard of companies like PMC, Rel, Ruark and MJ Acoustics.

If you can accomodate it I certainly don't think that the Monolith would be too much for your room. :)

5. RyanB

RyanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies guys,
    I think I will be having a chat with BK very soon! :thumbsup:

6. judge dreddful

judge dreddful

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been researching subwoofers too and reading up about the Monolith. I can't find any reviews apart from the two this last week so i'd like to know how you are so sure that it isn't too big for a small room.
    Have you heard the Monolith and do they really make the subs for REL

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    What do you mean by big the size or the sound.
    As long as you can fit the sub into the room why would it be too big for the room.
    Many people put bigger subs into small rooms probably bigger than they need to be for the room, but why not go for the best/biggest you can get away with.
    My room is 14'x12' and I never thought that the svs was too big for my room.

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I can't comment reliably on what subs BK do or don't make for Rel but I think they did the original Q-bass series amongst others. I have no idea how much business they still do with them so it's not my place to comment.

I havn't heard the Monolith but own 2 XLS200's and have heard a number of different sized subs in different sized rooms. Do a search for Kazman's review of the Monolith as that was also detailed and I very much value his opinion on these things. As long as you don't go totally overboard with something huge then if set up correctly you shouldn't have any problems in smaller rooms. I would consider the 4mx3m room described above to be quite large for a UK listening room. :)